Menu

Secular history/geography workbooks?

Night Elf

Long story, won't bore you. Is there anything, ANYTHING, like Lifepacs that is secular? What suggestions do you have for a late middle schooler/early high schooler who responds best to a workbook type program? Ds13 is feeling quite frustrated, as am I, about his schoolwork. I'm about to pull my hair out. He only likes me to read aloud for a short time each day. He wants to do one chapter of the Hakim series per day. He doesn't want to read additional historical fiction and non-fiction. He'll do it if I insist but I don't see it working the way I want it to work.

Maybe just a plain textbook approach? I'm so frustrated.

This is definitely a workbook; it is secular and for middle school. http://www.buyteachercreated.com/estore/product/3799

I haven't used it. It is part of the My Father's World Geography Study. I have looked at it in a store and it just didn't fit the ages of my children, but I thought it looked interesting. Anyway, you can download samples at the link.

Long story, won't bore you. Is there anything, ANYTHING, like Lifepacs that is secular? What suggestions do you have for a late middle schooler/early high schooler who responds best to a workbook type program?

Oh! Night Elf! You want these! Just like Lifepacs, only secular. I've linked you here to the History of Civilization series, which goes from the ancients to modern times, but generally Milliken's stuff is pretty homeschool-friendly, mostly worktexts designed to be complete resources for independent study. You can see samples on almost every book at this website, too, but I think Rainbow Resource carries some.

Oh! Night Elf! You want these! Just like Lifepacs, only secular. I've linked you here to the History of Civilization series, which goes from the ancients to modern times, but generally Milliken's stuff is pretty homeschool-friendly, mostly worktexts designed to be complete resources for independent study. You can see samples on almost every book at this website, too, but I think Rainbow Resource carries some.

Oldest ds used some of these.

Middle ds used Power Basics World History by Walch. The link is to Walch, because they have lots of samples, but RR sells them.

The History of Civilization Series could be used over a year; whereas, Power Basics is world history over 3 years.

HTH-

Mandy

I was planning on using the Joy Hakim series with my daughter but now I am having my doubts.

I hope it's not my post that is making you doubt. We've loved the Hakim series. It's just that my son already read through the 10 books with K12's American History course and is now wanting to repeat the program. I'm just worried about him not getting new information. So I wanted to add in literature to give more detailed information as we read through the Hakim series a second time. My son and I are disagreeing with how to approach it.

I truly appreciate the responses. I've been looking at all these choices and though I haven't yet made up my mind, I do know that he and I are going to have to compromise. I think it's important for him to be exposed to literature and I'm not going to back down. He has a history of being very reluctant to read or listen to new books, but then decides afterwards that he liked it afterall. However, I also understand his need for a precise method such as a workbook to sort of ground him in his schoolwork. I'm going to see if I can merge all these ideas, including the K12 program, together. Eeek!

of the vision we have, the methods, materials WE like, and accept that those may simply not be a good fit for that dc. I think it's more important to keep the relationship a priority, especially in those teen years and work with them. It goes back to picking our battles. ;)

Ugh! I know. I don't mind the battles if I have a firm belief set in my head. With this issue though, I don't. I feel totally lost in choosing an appropriate history program for ds13. Mercy me! I've never had this much trouble before. I'm used to have a few things I need to pare down to one purchase. I'm starting with nothing this time!

In looking at so many history programs, I've determined they are all similar. The student reads, answers some questions, discusses the material with parent, reads extra books, and writes. So it makes choosing even more difficult because I don't know which program would be best for him. My two favorites right now are Winter Promise and Sonlight. Considering he doesn't like anything, I figure I should use something I like! But I keep doubting myself. :confused:

He has a history of being very reluctant to read or listen to new books, but then decides afterwards that he liked it afterall.

Have you tried using audiobooks? My DDs didn't like me reading SOTW to them, but often ask to listen to it on CD. They also love to listen to mp3 downloads from librivox.

I have a 13 year old struggling reader and settled on a textbook approach. I got Glencoe's Journey Across Time. Each unit has a literature component, as well as suggested titles on their website. DS will listen to audiobooks and read Horrible History books. Oh! We'll also be watching DVDs from The Teaching Company.

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078750504/

I bought this from Barnes and Noble, as they had all textbooks on sale with free shipping.

I am also intrigued by K-12's Human Odyssey.

Good luck. It's really frustrating not knowing what to do.

I am also intrigued by K-12's Human Odyssey.

After completing the two-year american history program, I was ecstatic to get to World History A. We finished the first 3 units and the kids were not doing well. Dd11 really wanted to do World History and I figured I'd tailor to her lower grade level. Ds13 had no interest in the subject. The textbook is gorgeous and very detailed. I haven't seen many middle or junior high school textbooks but I personally felt it was written for the junior high level. Dd11 was so disappointed that she couldn't understand much of what we were reading. I had to stop about every paragraph to paraphrase at her level of understanding. I also had to define many words for her.

I'm bummed that my ds13 wasn't enjoying it but I'm now rethinking his motivation for wanting to drop back down to the american history program. I know he can handle the workload World History, he was just balking at the subject matter.

After completing the two-year american history program, I was ecstatic to get to World History A. We finished the first 3 units and the kids were not doing well. Dd11 really wanted to do World History and I figured I'd tailor to her lower grade level. Ds13 had no interest in the subject. The textbook is gorgeous and very detailed. I haven't seen many middle or junior high school textbooks but I personally felt it was written for the junior high level. Dd11 was so disappointed that she couldn't understand much of what we were reading. I had to stop about every paragraph to paraphrase at her level of understanding. I also had to define many words for her.

I'm bummed that my ds13 wasn't enjoying it but I'm now rethinking his motivation for wanting to drop back down to the american history program. I know he can handle the workload World History, he was just balking at the subject matter.

I feel your pain, Beth! Maybe do some workbooks and watch some videos each week. What about Brimwood Press? Anything there that might suit your needs?