Menu

Hotsling vs. Tie One On

Which sling should I get?  

1. 1. Which sling should I get?

• Hotsling
    • Tie One On
    • Stick with the Baby Bjorn
    • I have a better option for you and I'll explain below.

Help! I have baby sling OCD! I spent 3 hours on the net last night researching the options and I still need help.

Some facts to get you started:

~I'm a short 5'3, I wear a 38D when nursing and have fat, fat babies

~I tried a sling with #1. It had padding on the edges and I felt like I was drowning in fabric.

~I have a Baby Bjorn that I like but I worry that baby will get cold legs and sometimes when I lean forward it doesn't feel that secure.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Hotsling or the Tie One On.

http://www.hotslings.com/baby_slings;jsessionid=0a010c451f4323d7789e60924eec97a7fb9a636e6cfe.e3eTaxiMa38Te34PaO0

HotSling

~doesn't look like too much fabric

~seems like it would be quick to get baby in and out (I can wear the sling in the car and then plop baby in when we get to the store, etc.)

~I'm concerned about getting the right size; most of the negative reviews had to do with size issues and I need to buy this now so it will be ready to go when baby gets here

~looks like baby would be nice and warm (we'll still have outdoor sports for a month after she is born)

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5366490

Tie One On

~looks very secure and warm

~seems like it would be very adjustable for my size and baby's

~I'm worried that it is complicated to get baby in and out (not sure though because I haven't seen how it works)

~looks like it could be used when baby is older

~I'm concerned that where it ties on my body will make the biggest part of me (the area below my belly button) look even bigger-vanity, I know

~I really like the idea of supporting someone on etsy over supporting Target

~lots of pretty choices-vanity, again

Thoughts?

Sooooo, is this basically like a Moby? From what I could tell from the pics, it looks like a Moby or Moby D.

I was baby sling OCD with my #4 baby, and did a lot searching. Here are some of the things I found...

http://www.wearyourbaby.com This site has free videos and instructions for using a variety of baby carriers.

http://www.thebabywearer.com You may already know about this one, but it is a great source for reviews, moms to help with ANYTHING to do with wearing your baby, and new or used baby slings. I bought all my slings through this site...

http://www.wearsthebaby

I personally, like the wraps best. I used a sling w/ dd #1 and was totally turned off to the idea. Being smothered in fabric and bulkiness was just awful. Looking back, I think my sling was the wrong size... But even with that solved, I would have been wearing the weight of my baby on one shoulder...ouch.

BTW, I am 5' 3", a 36E and current baby is very fat....=)

So, all that to say, =) if I was you, I would go with the Tie One On, since I am now totally hooked on wrapping. It looks complicated, and some are, but it is wonderfully versatile, as well as supportive. I have a Moby, that my sis is borrowing, and it was very nice when ds was little. I could nurse in public pretty nicely. (Although, I will say, it took me a while to figure out how to do it consistently with big baby and big nursing equipment....)

I would also recommend looking at the woven wraps, like Didymos, Storchenwiege, or Ellaroo. I have those three that I picked up used. I love them all. As far as popability is concerned, you can tie them on in ways that are easy to wear shopping, and pop baby in and out. You can even tie them on like a sling if you want to.

If you are looking for something more like the bjorn, look at the Ergo. I also have one of those, and it is AWESOME. Great for me, great for baby, I can nurse in it, dh can wear it, my 4 yr old can ride in it. Don't get scared by the price, it is an investment that holds its value. You can easily resell it and recoup most of your money....

Okay, long, run-on reply is ended. =) Hope some of this helps..... Although, I don't think I helped with narrowing things, down......=)

Edited by peachlady

You can buy Hotslings at TARGET? When my DD6 was born, I was on a tiny little message board with Kristin, the inventor of Hotslings. At the time she had recently quit her job and she was starting to sell them to make some extra money because they were struggling. I can't believe how huge the enterprise has gotten. I can't believe you can buy them at Target! Wow!

Anyway... :D When my DDs were infants, I preferred to have them in something like a Hotsling (my favorite was a Kangaroo Korner fleece sling, because it was stretchy), but after 6-7 months or so, I loved my mei tai (one of these). I really like the look of the second thing you posted, like maybe it could provide both options, though I'd need to research it more. The links peachlady provided are good places to research.

Oh, and ETA that all the straps and wrapping seem very intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's SO easy. Don't let that stop you if you really like the Tie on One more than the Hotsling. Also, you don't have to buy the Hotsling at Target. You can buy them right from Hotslings.com and support them directly instead.

Edited by melissel

I tried the sling, my baby hated it!

It was not that comfortable for me either, the one shoulder thing. That said, lots of people love them.

After the sling I purchased a Moby, I LOVE IT!!, and so does baby. I switched to a lighter fabric in warm weather. It has plenty of support, the baby feels secure, you can have them facing many directions, although my little one prefers forward, dh can wear it too without buying a separate sling, both shoulders support the baby, etc.

After having, a Baby bjorn, a sling, other front packs, and the Moby, I am totally into wrapping. So my vote goes for the Tie One On.

You can buy Hotslings at TARGET? When my DD6 was born, I was on a tiny little message board with Kristin, the inventor of Hotslings. At the time she had recently quit her job and she was starting to sell them to make some extra money because they were struggling. I can't believe how huge the enterprise has gotten. I can't believe you can buy them at Target! Wow!

I think at Whole Foods, too. I was having sling envy last time I was in there.

OP - having been completely satisfied with my ring slings (Maya wraps), I would probably go with a tie style if I were to do it again. I don't care for Baby Bjorns, ergonomically or from the baby's standpoint. (Plus, to my knowledge, you can't nurse in them) My husband used one a handful of times with our second daughter and it was miserable; she kept startling, clearly did not feel secure with her little arms and legs hanging out everywhere... he used the sling after that and with the boys. (Yes, my husband spent years with a wee person strapped to him in a purple or fiesta color Maya wrap. He's just awesome like that. :D)

My store used to have live babywearing expert consultants, so you could call toll-free or chat free with them. Anyway, this is stuff we consulted with everyday.

1. First of all, do not rule out slings. Just because you got one that didn't work, doesn't mean they all won't. Modern slings are very comfortable, sleek, and stylish looking, no bulky shoulder padding that make you drown in sling! I suggest a Maya Wrap Lightly Padded sling, and Ellaroo, or Sakura Bloom (if you can afford it).

Slings were a favorite for me in the toddler years, they were easy to get her in and out and they looked awesome, felt great.

2. Pouches - you should have one with a young baby, there so easy. You just have to find one that fits right. Don't be afraid to exchange for a smaller one if you got one too large. Hotslings are awesome, I know Kristin the owner. Actually I know all the sling owners listed here. I'm also very a very close friend of Stacey of Karma Baby pouch slings, also in Target now.

3. Mei Tai - Tai One One, not a very well-known brand name, but I think she's been around awhile. Customers always loved the Babyhawk or Kozy Mei Tais. I think you're safe with any of these, including the one you listed, but beware of cheap ebay ones. I've seen them fall apart!

Mei Tais were my personal favorite.

4. Wrap - by far, by far, an experienced babywearer's favorite. A stretchy wrap like Moby will only last until baby is 17 pounds, after that (or start with) a woven wrap like Storchenwiege, DIDYMOS. A Bebina wrap is an affordable woven wrap.

I was never a wrap fan, but like I said, it was overall my more experienced babywearing customer's favorite type of sling.

Keep in mind, the stretchier and softer the wrap, the less supportive and more saggy it will be as your baby grows.

We never suggest a Baby Bjorn. Instead, if you like the more structured style, you might like an ERGO or Patapum, both are more ergonomically comfortable and can wear on front or back.

If you haven't already, you should post on thebabywearer.com and you'll get dozens of answers from people who live and breath this stuff!

Edited by Satori

Here's reviews for some of the slings mentioned.

I couldn't find the Tie One On sling you mentioned, but perhaps the below is the same thing. It looks very pretty!

Tai One On Wrap (6 reviews 5/5): http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?folder=taioneonwrap&category=wovenwraps

Babyhawk (154 reviews 4.8/5): http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?folder=babyhawkmeitai&category=meitais

Kozy carrier (152 reviews 4.8/5): http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?folder=kozycarrier&category=meitais

Hotslings (177 reviews 4.7/5): http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?folder=hotslings&category=fittedpouches

Moby Wrap (90 reviews 4.5/5): http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?folder=mobywrap&category=stretchywraps

Maya Wrap LP sling, only get the new Lightly Padded, not original version (13 reviews 4.8): http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?folder=mayawraplightlypaddedsling&category=paddedringslings

And my old store, which I no longer own. :) 218 reviews, 5 star

http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?category=washington&folder=attachedtobaby

I used the Adjustable Pouches from Kangaroo Korner to wear DC 2 and 3. http://www.kangarookorner.com/c-8-adjustable-pouches.aspx

My pouch was easy to use, and very comfortable to wear.

There isn't a whole lot of fabric, no need to tie, just slip on

and go.

I also like the fact that you can choose your fabric design and

the weight of the fabric to fit your particular climate.

Maybe you can take a look and see if it might work for you?

Tie one on is a mei tai? Looks like it...not a sling. Did you go to thebabywearer? They have tons to look at. Just go to the reviews and go to the sites.

I love mei tais. Imo...they are my favorite..but not really for nursing unless you dont mind nursing sitting up. I dont like stretchy mei tais...again just my opinion...since I feel my baby sag and I cant handle that.

For a basic sling...I love the padded maya wrap. It is so easy to put on and switch shoulders without rethreading. But...there are so many other companies that make beautiful slings that are not plain.

Slings are great till about 20lbs...then the one shoulder starts to really hurt. I dont mind short trips with a sling..but not more then that. Nursing is wonderful with a sling. Mei Tais are wonderful. You have the best flexibility...front, back, and side hip. Wraps are great but too hot for me here in S. FLorida...I prefer the mei tai with less fabric...but wraps can do all positions including sling ones.

I really suggest you look at thebabywearer and see take your time reading the reviews. You can see who has good customer service and a good product. I didnt care for hotslings...I used to sell Taylor made...which is very nice, zolowear...but these dont have padding in the shoulder....both switch very easy without rethreading.

Do you have a Babywearing International chapter near you? If so, go to the meeting and try a few. The pres of BWI happens to live here in B'ham so our local group is amazing and has lots of slings to try on and a great lending library. I highly recommend going to at least one meeting if you can make it.

I really suggest you look at thebabywearer and see take your time reading the reviews. You can see who has good customer service and a good product. I didnt care for hotslings...I used to sell Taylor made...which is very nice, zolowear...but these dont have padding in the shoulder....both switch very easy without rethreading.

I'm curious why you didn't like the Hotsling?

Tie One On is a homemade version of a Mai Tai? So, if I look for videos of how to put a newborn in a Mai Tai, I'll know how to use the Tie One On?

I have used a mai tai (one that I made from an online pattern) and love it! I like ring slings when baby is super tiny... but then I like the mai tai because it distributes the weight over both shoulders. I have an ergo on the way. I wanted one since my last one was a baby and finally broke down and bought one

I'd go with a ring sling for the new baby phase... then a mai tai or ssc (like an ergo).

What I don't like about hotslings... they are a sized pouch so they can't be adjusted. If you gain or lose weight, they don't fit anymore (just like a pair of jeans). It worked for me while baby was small... but then she grew and grew and didn't fit good in it anymore. I'd rather use a ring sling that is adjustable.

My lil guy outgrew his sling at only 3 months (19lbs). I got an Ergo when he was 4 months old and I still use it. Love it Love it!!! It was really easy to nurse him while walking around with it too. He is a bit too tall for that now, but it worked for a long time, well over a year. (turned 2 in April and is 3 feet tall).

My lil guy outgrew his sling at only 3 months (19lbs). I got an Ergo when he was 4 months old and I still use it. Love it Love it!!! It was really easy to nurse him while walking around with it too. He is a bit too tall for that now, but it worked for a long time, well over a year. (turned 2 in April and is 3 feet tall).

What kind of sling did you have? I have used my ring sling with my kids up to age 3. I didn't want to, but sometimes we just do what we have to do, kwim?

For a ring sling, I highly recommend a Zolowear. I have had mine for 6 years now and will not part with it.

For a mei tai, Babyhawks are great. I've also had Kozy Karriers and they are good too.

For a wrap, there are so many to choose from. You can make your own or buy something really luxurious. Stretchy wraps are good for babies, but woven wraps are good for bigger kids.

The Hotsling was the only sling I could ever get to work! It's very easy to use, and so comfortable. My first two kids would never go in a sling, but I believe it's because I tried those padded ring slings (not sure what brand they were, but they were huge and hard to adjust).

DD (now age 4) lived in her Hotsling! I ran my own business for the first two years of her life, and she was in it constantly. It was such a lifesaver! And I love having photos of us with her in the sling...so amazing that she's too big for it now. We used the sling till she was 2 1/2.

What kind of sling did you have? I have used my ring sling with my kids up to age 3. I didn't want to, but sometimes we just do what we have to do, kwim?

For a ring sling, I highly recommend a Zolowear. I have had mine for 6 years now and will not part with it.

For a mei tai, Babyhawks are great. I've also had Kozy Karriers and they are good too.

For a wrap, there are so many to choose from. You can make your own or buy something really luxurious. Stretchy wraps are good for babies, but woven wraps are good for bigger kids.

It was a sling a roo from ebay. I loved it when he was little but as he got larger it was very painful to use.

And a clarification... I can still use the Ergo, it is just harder to nurse him in it now.

I loved my peanut shell with both babes as newborns so I vote for the hotsling.

Beyond that I loved a zolo (ring sling) when they were a bit bigger then back to the peanut shell once they were sitting confidently and finally a Mei Tai after about a year.

I would get a Maya. :)

I have a Moby wrap (which is similar to that tying thing you have linked at etsy) and I like it but I get confused by it sometimes and I am a hot mess with it. It is also nice when I am walking around a lot. Sometimes I will not remember how to work it and dh and dd will be looking at me askance in the parking lot while I am trying to tie the baby onto my body. :lol: It is like a really really long piece of fabric.

There are a lot of images of how it works on this site

http://www.mobywrap.com/

What I don't like about hotslings... they are a sized pouch so they can't be adjusted. If you gain or lose weight, they don't fit anymore (just like a pair of jeans). It worked for me while baby was small... but then she grew and grew and didn't fit good in it anymore. I'd rather use a ring sling that is adjustable.
ITA.

I have a pouch sling, mine is a New Native and while I love it (it is so pretty!) it isn't really adjustable so now that ds is getting bigger, it isn't as comfortable.

I have a Maya, it is easy to stick the baby in it and get him back out. It is probably the most useful for errands where I am in and out of the car a lot. My maya doesn't have *any* padding, but you can get padding.

I have a baby carrying device problem. I want a Mei tai/Babyhawk thing.

Edited by Sis

I have a baby carrying device problem. I want a Mei tai/Babyhawk thing.

GET ONE! If you think your DS will want to be carried much longer (my DD stopped wanting to be carried at 16 months :(), buy it used, then sell it when you're done. Seriously, if I ever get pregnant again, that is the very first thing I'm buying. We could not have survived that first year without it, and it made life so much easier. I recommend them to everyone.