Menu

Just Starting - Work Load for Second Grader?

Jim

First-time poster, so handle gently.

We've taken our just turned 8 y.o. son out of the public school system as a result of its poor performance and for having wasted half of last year while they prepared some students to take "the test." During this time our son was not involved in any type of reading program. While he was described as excellent in math we've found holes in his understanding/retention of the most basic concepts. There was no history or science that we know of. In fact, we received so little work back from the school that we wonder what exactly they were doing for all those hours.

So a decision was made and we've been working with him, transitioning slowly so we can all work into this new roles.

So far we're using the following:

Math: Singapore 2a. It's what he used in first grade and we decided

to stick with it to ease the transition.

English: FFL1/2. We started at the beginning but do two lessons a

day, working hard on narration as it's a new concept

for him.

OPGTR. He avoids sounding words out so we're reviewing and

we need a spelling program. We're considering the

Workout series or maybe something like Spelling Wisdom.

I like the idea of learning within context, just makes

sense to me.

Writing: WWE1. We have been completing two weeks of work per week.

History: SOTW1. He's actually asking to do more of this, but one chapter

per week. Can't wait to recreate the Nile this week!

Literature: Readings from the AG for SOTW1 plus selections from

Ambleside. And a bit of poetry.

We'll be adding science and Music/art appreciation as we go. We went to a Monet exhibit this past week end and enjoyed a short movie, a craft and a look at a few paintings. He seemed to enjoy that (so did I!). Now we'll do a bit of research on the subject.

It was an easy dicision to take a step back and strengthen his foundation before moving ahead through the rest of the year. One-on-one learning offers us this luxury!

I've been doing a ton of reading since we stated and while many talk about doing too much, our day seems to go fairly smooth and quick. He's doing everything we ask, though we have to up the reading time, but it just seems to easy. From the above list do you believe we've covered the bases? Or, are we lacking somewhere? It feels like the latter.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Jim

We're enjoying it, but it seems way to easy. Probably just the typical worry of letting him down now that's we've taken responsibility for his instruction.

Beside the educational value of one-on-one instruction I wanted to cement my relationship with my son. It's important to me and I felt it was lacking a bit. All work and no play. It's not the primary reason for the move, but a welcome side effect, I hope.

I've been doing most of the instruction so far. We're lucky that I work from home and mom is always available.

This looks really good. I have only one suggestion which is to use OPGTR as an intro to spelling program. Let your son study a few of the words each week for spelling. Wait until he's finished OPGTR to start a formal spelling program. I prefer not to double up on phonics and spelling. :001_smile:

HTH!

It looks just perfect. When you add in science, you can expect an increase in workload depending on how many hands-on activities that you do. We are studying space and earth science this year with my 2nd grader. There are some great Usborne books with science activities if you want a more hands-on approach.

Good Luck!

Paula

I second delaying the spelling until phonics is reviewed. (Spelling takes the place of phonics. If you decide to do Spelling Wisdom, that is usually not started until 3rd or 4th grade.)

Also, I don't see a penmanship/handwriting program.

Are you a Christian, if so consider a Bible Reading/Study. Otherwise continue with great character building books!

Aside from that, looks great to me! Enjoy the time with him! Remember, also that according to Fred Rogers, "Play is the real work of childhood!"

My 2nd grader enjoys his free afternoons!;)

I think what you're experiencing is that homeschooling can be more efficient than "schooling." There is not as much busywork and review as more traditional texts and worksheets that are used in school.

You've picked some great curriculum that is tailored for homeschoolers so enjoy your year!

If you do want more, I'd suggest poetry memorization, one a month and how about practicing reading aloud to you more. We used McGuffey's Readers for expressive reading.

sTuff my dh does that you may like:

visit Science museum

Lego Mindstorms robotics

hobby kits- chemistry, build your own radio, solar car, etc.

David Attenborough documentaries for Science

visit Science Museum

anything from http://www.timberdoodle.com

unless you hate kits, movies, and museums, there is no reason yet to ruin Science with a curriculum, in my humble opinion.

Your plan looks good. I would hold off on spelling until his phonics is well established.

One outside activity like a sport or something might be good.

I think it looks fantastic! How lucky for your son that you were able to take him out of school!

Tara

We do feel incredibly fortunate to be in a situation that we can offer our childrem maximum mom/dad time. I say that as we've just sent our 2 y.o. off to pre-school twice a week for four hours a day. The time away will be good for him. It worked well for our now 8 y.o. who would not let us out of his site but now makes friends in a second.

As we started journey one of our first steps was to attend a show for homeschoolers. Not more than five minutes after entering, and while my wife and I looked around overwhelmed, he was chatting away with a boy his age over a table full of microscopes. Neither of us would have ever, ever (did I say ever?) have done that.

It was at that show and after talking to a number of young adults that were thankful for their experience and their easy manner that we decided this was for us.

sTuff my dh does that you may like:

One outside activity like a sport or something might be good.

Yes, the social question is bound to rise at any moment. He's starting his second year of scounts (now a wolf) and soccer season is starting this afternoon, right after I finish work! I have about an hour before I have to get out of the house. Did I mention that I'm the new cubmaster and the coach of the soccer team.

I never knew I could accomplish so much in a day. This experience has been helpful for me also.

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. I'll be pouring over them again and again, both for comfort and ideas. THANKS!

We're enjoying it, but it seems way to easy. Probably just the typical worry of letting him down now that's we've taken responsibility for his instruction.

Beside the educational value of one-on-one instruction I wanted to cement my relationship with my son. It's important to me and I felt it was lacking a bit. All work and no play. It's not the primary reason for the move, but a welcome side effect, I hope.

I've been doing most of the instruction so far. We're lucky that I work from home and mom is always available.

Awesome! My dh would be jealous.

If he's avoiding sounding out words, nonsense words should help--you have to sound them out!

My game is fun and makes both nonsense and real words:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Also, here are my recommendations for a remedial student:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/remedialstudents.html

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

I would give the MWIA as a gauge to when you can stop doing so many nonsense words, you need to keep them up and focus a lot on the phonics until the speed difference is within 15%, 10% is better.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Not only are you experiencing how much more efficient homeschooling can be (learning more in less time), but you're also playing catch-up. Some of the curriculum will be easier for him as you work to fill the gaps. Once he's on level, the work will be more challenging for him, and you will fall into more of a routine.

You've made great choices on curriculum! Do you know what his learning style is? You can Google it and come up with free explanations of the learning styles. As time goes by, that can help you make curriculum choices that best suit him, and, if a program doesn't work for him, you'll be more likely for figure out why, and make appropriate changes--either tweaking the program to fit him better, or, if nothing works, changing to a different curriculum.

So glad you're able to homeschool. We just started our 12th year of homeschooling today, and I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity! I feel our family is closer-knit because of it, and that my children are stronger people, better thinkere, because of not being bullied or dealing with peer pressure every.single.day! We did a lot of different things, but they weren't in the same classroom with the same kids every day.

Best wishes!

It looks very close to what we are doing for 2nd here also. We are still doing phonics, just to complete the program and for spelling reinforcement. DD does it independently as review. I have her practice spelling words that she misspells in everyday things and do dictation exercises from literature. Last week she had a sentence from The Sword in the Stone, which she read for her reading that day. Then next year we will start a spelling program instead of the phonics.

We did SOTW 1 last year, and I just wanted to say, that there are some ideas for Science that come up in it, and art projects also. I remember some books called, "Look What Came from Egypt" and I think there was an Africa one too, that told of scientific discoveries. We built a volcano to go with one of the chapters, which naturally led to more study. There was a Jim Weiss C.D we checked out that had stories of Greek Scientists. We did tons of arts and crafts that came up in the recommended books. So you will be able to add lots of stuff into your studies w/SOTW alone. Then you can pick up some Usborne encyclopedias as spines for further study when you are ready.

You can see what we use for our curric in my sig. My dd is now 7. I need to change her age :)