Menu

We are traveling in the car for 16 hrs. What are some good breakfast foods?

We always had Cosco/Sam's Club muffins. You know, the huge ones that will kill you with calories. Mmmm...

In fact shopping at Costco is part of our holiday fun (does that sound pathetic). My sister takes us and we do our semi-annual stock up of essentials (and treats).

But thanks for the suggestion. I can always bake some muffins.

We have a small cooler/fridge that plugs into the cigarette lighter, so we're able to take items that need fridgeration on trips....some of what we take (I know you asked for breakfast foods, but we like to eat anything at breakfast, and hopefully these are some good ideas for lunch too):

yogurt (take plastic spoons to ease cleanup). When the kids were smaller and couldn't eat a whole yogurt, I'd spoon it into those 1/4 cup tupperware type containers ahead of time so there was no opened unfinished yogurt to deal with.

cheese (we don't like the prepacked sticks, too salty, so we simply cut

block cheese into nibble size sticks and put in a baggie)

lots of water bottles (often hunger pangs are either boredom or thirst, so I always have them drink water first if it's not normal meal time)

trail mix (nuts, cheerios or other dry cereals, dried fruit, broken pretzels, etc packaged in snack baggies...the only time I buy the snack size, lol). Obviously, this one doesn't need refrigeration.

Veggies and fruits cut into bite size pieces. My kids love to dip them veggies into ranch dressing and fruit into flavored yogurt. I use those tiny 1/4 cup tupperware containers for the dips. Label each with kid's name and they are reusable later in the day (unlabled got the eww, double dipping gross, remarks, lol).

Cooked chicken strips (we grill the chicken the night before and cut into strips.....a little spice while grilling gives it good flavor, and the protein count is high so it will keep you full a while). One of my kids likes to dip this in ranch dressing.

If you are going to make it at home to eat immediately after you get in the car, breakfast burritos work nice....eggs, cheese, maybe some crumbled sausage and a little salsa. These don't work well for something to eat after you've been on the road a while tho, as cold eggs and sausage are a little yicky. I have scrambled the eggs and precooked the sausage the day before and then that morning microwaved on paper plates and assembled....then there is no dirty dishes to deal with while you're trying to get out the door, and none to leave in the sink!

Take plenty of napkins and I always wet down a few washcloths and put it in a zip lock for bigger clean ups. In the cooler they'll stay moist for hours. When we reach our destination they just go in the laundry (or the trash for icky messes).

I know a lot of people use travel time as "special treat" time and get donuts and other sugary things....my kids would be bouncing off the windshield if I gave them sugar and then made them sit still for hours! We don't do a lot of sugar so while I love vacation treats, I try to make sure that they'll be able to burn off the unaccustomed sugar rush. Protein will keep hunger away much longer than sugar also, so with sugar you can almost guarantee that you'll have to stop again in another hour or two.

When the kids were younger I also used to dole out the food in very small amounts.....a slice or two of chicken.....wait 10-15 minutes, then a piece of cheese...wait, then some fruit. This stretched the meal out which kept them full but also kept them occupied. Reading or listening to stories in between and then stopping to eat something, just ate away at the time.

We drive 24 hours to FL twice a year, so btdt with a car full of kids. It's a bit smelly, but we love hard boiled eggs. We all need to be kept in protein. I peel them before packing in the cooler.

We also like bananas, apples, cheese sticks or cheese chunks, nut butters on whole wheat. I also make sure to bring 'fun' foods that they rarely get, like gummy bears. lol Not exactly breakfast, but fun. And fine after a blast of protein.

Another not breakfast tip, but everyone gets a water bottle or Kleen kanteen, and everyone, adults included, gets a zip-lock baggies filled with things like Cascadian Farms granola bars, M & M's, cheese crackers, and other easy to eat items. I have the kids make them and they always enjoy that and passing them out to everyone as we take off.

Edited by LibraryLover

We drive 24 hours to FL twice a year, so btdt with a car full of kids. It's a bit smelly, but we love hard boiled eggs. We all need to be kept in protein. I peel them before packing in the cooler.

We also like bananas, apples, cheese sticks or cheese chunks, nut butters on whole wheat. I also make sure to bring 'fun' foods that they rarely get, like gummy bears. lol Not exactly breakfast, but fun. And fine after a blast of protein.

Another not breakfast tip, but everyone gets a water bottle or Kleen kanteen, and everyone, adults included, gets a zip-lock baggies filled with things like Cascadian Farms granola bars, M & M's, cheese crackers, and other easy to eat items. I have the kids make them and they always enjoy that and passing them out to everyone as we take off.

:iagree:Agree on the HB eggs, and the peanut butter or cream cheese smeared on a waffle is great too. I don't even see anything wrong with pb&j for breakfast. My kids really love a waffle w/pb, topped with banana slices and drizzled with a little honey. But I haven't tried this in the car....might be too messy.

I also agree on the baggie full of snacks. My rule is that that is your snack bag for the day and if you eat your M&Ms before 6am, so be it, but you won't get any more. I've done this with plane trips too. What's in there is what you get for snacks for the WHOLE day, so eat it all now, or save it all, I don't care, but don't ask me for snacks. BUT, I do choose what goes in the baggie of snacks.:D So there will be a cheese stick, a trail mix of raisins/nuts/goldfish/pretzels, a granola bar, and one sugary treat like gummies or small candy.

Don't forget the wet wipes!;)

Breakfast burritos could work, but that sounds like a lot of work right before you leave. :)

Breakfast burritos are perfect, and you could make them the night before. They freeze really well, too, if you'd rather prepare them further in advance. No need to thaw them ahead of time; just pull them out of the freezer, nuke them briefly in the microwave and they're ready to eat.