Menu

So tell me about golf--how expensive is it, really?

My son and I are thinking of taking golf lessons at the course just down the street from us. It would give us something to do during the week when the weather is warm, and give him a sport to know "inside and out"--he's not a team sports kind of kid, and not overly coordinated, but I want him to have an activity that he enjoys and can continue to enjoy for life.

But how expensive is it? I plan to take a few lessons with him at first, but I'm hoping he'll catch on and want to continue. With clubs, equipment, and fees, what will I spend on a 5'10" 14 year old who will no doubt need adult materials?

Thanks!

:001_smile:

I think it is a great idea. Golf is a sport that is almost required for business people. Costs are one of those "it depends" types of answers. As far as clubs go, try to find a used set or borrow for him to start. Then, it is sort of a one time purchase. Sort of. Fees just depend on where you are playing. If you have a place that sells yearly memberships and he is out there a lot, it comes down to being a "not that much" when you figure it per use. That of course is if you are not renting a cart, which imnsho a 14 yo shouldn't be doing and often aren't allowed to officially drive at clubs anyway.

We all play golf here!

I would start out with a visit to Sports Authority or Dicks and talk to the sales staff. Make sure that they know that you're beginners, so they don't start you out with an expensive set of clubs. You can find a very nice set of clubs, including bag for less than $200. Your son is tall, so he might be out of the Junior size! (My oldest son uses a regular set of clubs -- he's 15 and almost 6' tall).

I would start out on the driving range. Driving ranges are available at pretty much every golf course. You pay around $10 for a large bucket of balls. Work on driving and putting for several weeks before hitting the course for the first time.

During the week, during the day, greens fees are less expensive than they are on weekends or holidays, and they should offer discounts for juniors and ladies.

Enjoy!! It's a great sport!!

Edited by hsmamainva
added info

My ds is not much a team sports kid but he does like golf. The driving range is a good place to start.

They just opened a nice course near us and it's not really in a fancy area but my dh was surprised their prices are so high. It's like 60.00 per person (including cart) during the week, 70.00 on the weekend. Apparently they are going to make it a fancy area. :001_huh: That's probably not expensive is some regions but it's pretty high for our area.

We went on vacation to Destin, FL earlier this year and it cost less THERE to play a round, so definitely check around for prices.

We're lucky around here b/c our town has 2 courses that cost $10 after 5 PM. You can get in about 12-14 holes at the height of summer. Check out municipal courses (public) in your area.

I'd also look for par 3 courses in your area. Sometimes they are called pitch & putt. They are short and it is a good inexpensive way to get your feet wet.

For clubs, you don't have to spend a fortune, but you do need clubs that fit. You shouldn't count on a kid "growing into" a set of clubs.

Good luck!

Check out http://www.thefirsttee.org/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp. It is sponsored by the PGA. Lessons here are $2 for 1 1/2 hours ($14 for 7 weeks) and include character development lessons/etiquette. When kids sign up they are given coupons for driving ranges, mini golf and regular golf rounds. They also offer a very inexpensive set of clubs; I think $50?? My kids are starting in September. I've heard great things about the program!!

If you don't know much about the equipment, I would ask your instructor before buying clubs. A good instructor will help you choose the right tools your son will need. Golf can be a frustrating sport and having the wrong clubs to start with will make it even more challenging. You don't have to start with the most expensive, but you will want to start with what suits your son.

Check out the forum website bombsquadgolf. The fellows there would have a lot of advice about what to look for in used clubs.

How much you spend on golf is up to you. Course fees, range fees, instructor fees, equipment, shoes, clothes, bags, etc. You don't need it all to have fun, but if he is planning on going pro, that would change how you look at everything.

See if there is a First Tee program in your area. It's a national program designed to bring golf to all children, regardless of age and income. They offer college scholarships for children who have made it to a certain point in the program, high school seniors.

Here, we pay $100 a year. The children can take golf lessons year round for that one price, and play free (and parents pay $1.00) at the First Tee's golf course whenever they want. Plus they set up a Parents Learn to Play program at a partner golf course for a small fee, for those parents who wanted to learn to play.

They also sell new clubs cheap, and used clubs even cheaper. We bought my son a set of golf clubs, used, that someone had donated, for $65. It's a really nice set.

Also, see if you have a Play It Again Sports in your area. They will have used clubs at a good price as well.

And my instructor was Arnold Palmer's old caddy, LOL! And....I actually took the lessons TWICE....just to make sure they sunk in. I had a great time and really enjoy playing golf. It wasn't that expensive at all....and I bought my clubs at Sports Authority!

Prices are going to vary widely depending on where you are.

If you don't know much about the equipment, I would ask your instructor before buying clubs. A good instructor will help you choose the right tools your son will need. Golf can be a frustrating sport and having the wrong clubs to start with will make it even more challenging. You don't have to start with the most expensive, but you will want to start with what suits your son.

This is good advice. My dh was a golf instructor for ten years. He's seen many kids become unnecessarily frustrated because they were trying to overcome inferior equipment while learning to play. All of our dc use clubs from US Kids Golf because my dh feels they're good clubs and they really aren't terribly expensive (as far as clubs go). I know your ds is bigger, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Golf is one of those things that people can come across as experts when they're really just blowing hot air. Just because someone sells golf equipment at a sporting goods store, doesn't mean they know what they're doing. I would definitely ask your instructor first. If your instructor is a PGA professional, even better. (Not meaning the PGA Tour. PGA members work as golf instructors and professionals at private and public courses all over the country)

Also, he really doesn't need a 14 club set to start. My two youngest dc have about five clubs plus a putter in their bags. I have nine clubs plus a putter. My oldest ds probably has about nine or so clubs plus a putter. That's plenty for a beginning golfer. He can add more clubs as he improves.