Menu

Okay, last post about natural products... :)

If you clean and live in a natural, non toxic way, would you please share the products you use and how you use them? I would also be interested in knowing what personal products you use for your family from soaps to shampoos to make-up and everything in between for boys and girls. Thanks!

--Vinegar/water spray for just about everything, including cleaning glass.

--Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap for anything that needs some suds or oil breakup. I use Dr. B's and a scrubby sponge (the kind with the rough side and the sponge side) for cleaning the soap scummy tub and tile in my shower.

--Seventh Generation hand dishwashing detergent (have to use more than you do with conventional detergent, but it smells SO much better and doesn't give me a headache). I also use this for mopping our linoleum kitchen floor. If you leave it to dry by itself, it leaves a residue, but I just throw down two old cloth diapers and use my feet to dry the floor. Works great!

--Seventh Generation machine dishwasher liquid along with a Tbsp of washing soda in the dishwasher.

--For laundry, I use Costco's proprietary brand of eco-friendly detergent. If it's as eco-friendly as their claims make it out to be, then I'm happy. However, I haven't been happy with any of the laundry products I've tried, so this is how I compromise.

--For washing the kids' bods and hair, I strongly prefer California Baby Calming Shampoo and Body Wash, but for some reason, I couldn't lay hands on it anywhere a few months back, so we're in the middle of trying out and using up a bunch of natural products I bought to test. They've been OK. I really want my California Baby back though! And it amazes me how much garbage is in so-called natural care products.

--For washing me, I prefer Dr. Bronner's (bars, but liquid is WAY cheaper) again, but we're currently working our way through a stash of Ivory soap.

--DH uses the crystal deodorant liquid roll-on, but it only works for me in the dead of winter.

--For face lotion, both DH and I have been using Alba Hawaiian Moisture Cream, and for body lotion, we like Alba Botanica Very Emollient Body Lotion. They're both on the lower end of the price scale for these kinds of items.

I do the best I can, but I do still fall back on chemicals occasionally. Recently, the mold in our bathroom shower grout and crevices got so bad that it was freaking me out to shower in there, and nothing I tried would move it, not even straight bleach. I had to use that mega-powerful stuff they only sell at Home Depot and scrub for like, an hour. Then I had to lay down for an hour afterward, I was so dizzy and nauseous :( But it did the job, and I should be able to resort to that once a year or so. I can live with that (sort of). I also use a chemical combo to stain-treat clothes I can't get clean any other way--again, maybe every six months, and I wait until I have a full bucket's worth of stained items to soak all at once. I do use Oxiclean in my laundry because I haven't gotten around to researching/ordering a purer product yet. And I'll occasionally use a smidge of bleach on some things--stomach-virus-affected laundry, for example, or persistent mold. I go through a small bottle a year, so again, I can kind of live with that.

I also use Secret deodorant, Head & Shoulders shampoo, and Citre Shine conditioner. I haven't been able to replace those with anything satisfactory yet :( The crystal deodorant only works for me if there's no chance of me sweating, so I use it in winter. I need the H&S for my hair because our water has so much chlorine in it, my scalp is in terrible shape. The Citre-shine just works with my curls. It's not organic, but it's not tested on animals! I also use a Clinique face scrub, or else I break out like crazy. I keep trying to replace some of these items, but there's only so much money and time I can dedicate to trying new products right now! It's a journey, and I've been on it for about seven years now. Baby steps...

Whew! I think that's just about everything. If I forgot something, feel free to ask about it specifically :D

Oh, ETA that we use as much cloth as possible--cloth napkins, old flannel diaper wipes and cloth diapers as rags, loads of dishrags, etc. We also use Marcal toilet paper and paper towels (when we have to), because they're the only brand this composed entirely of recycled paper products.

Edited by melissel

--Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap for anything that needs some suds or oil breakup. I use Dr. B's and a scrubby sponge (the kind with the rough side and the sponge side) for cleaning the soap scummy tub and tile in my shower.

--Seventh Generation hand dishwashing detergent (have to use more than you do with conventional detergent, but it smells SO much better and doesn't give me a headache). I also use this for mopping our linoleum kitchen floor. If you leave it to dry by itself, it leaves a residue, but I just throw down two old cloth diapers and use my feet to dry the floor. Works great!

--Seventh Generation machine dishwasher liquid along with a Tbsp of washing soda in the dishwasher.

--For laundry, I use Costco's proprietary brand of eco-friendly detergent. If it's as eco-friendly as their claims make it out to be, then I'm happy. However, I haven't been happy with any of the laundry products I've tried, so this is how I compromise.

--For washing the kids' bods and hair, I strongly prefer California Baby Calming Shampoo and Body Wash, but for some reason, I couldn't lay hands on it anywhere a few months back, so we're in the middle of trying out and using up a bunch of natural products I bought to test. They've been OK. I really want my California Baby back though! And it amazes me how much garbage is in so-called natural care products.

--For washing me, I prefer Dr. Bronner's (bars, but liquid is WAY cheaper) again, but we're currently working our way through a stash of Ivory soap.

--DH uses the crystal deodorant liquid roll-on, but it only works for me in the dead of winter.

--For face lotion, both DH and I have been using Alba Hawaiian Moisture Cream, and for body lotion, we like Alba Botanica Very Emollient Body Lotion. They're both on the lower end of the price scale for these kinds of items.

I do the best I can, but I do still fall back on chemicals occasionally. Recently, the mold in our bathroom shower grout and crevices got so bad that it was freaking me out to shower in there, and nothing I tried would move it, not even straight bleach. I had to use that mega-powerful stuff they only sell at Home Depot and scrub for like, an hour. Then I had to lay down for an hour afterward, I was so dizzy and nauseous :( But it did the job, and I should be able to resort to that once a year or so. I can live with that (sort of). I also use a chemical combo to stain-treat clothes I can't get clean any other way--again, maybe every six months, and I wait until I have a full bucket's worth of stained items to soak all at once. I do use Oxiclean in my laundry because I haven't gotten around to researching/ordering a purer product yet. And I'll occasionally use a smidge of bleach on some things--stomach-virus-affected laundry, for example, or persistent mold. I go through a small bottle a year, so again, I can kind of live with that.

I also use Secret deodorant, Head & Shoulders shampoo, and Citre Shine conditioner. I haven't been able to replace those with anything satisfactory yet :( The crystal deodorant only works for me if there's no chance of me sweating, so I use it in winter. I need the H&S for my hair because our water has so much chlorine in it, my scalp is in terrible shape. The Citre-shine just works with my curls. It's not organic, but it's not tested on animals! I also use a Clinique face scrub, or else I break out like crazy. I keep trying to replace some of these items, but there's only so much money and time I can dedicate to trying new products right now! It's a journey, and I've been on it for about seven years now. Baby steps...

Whew! I think that's just about everything. If I forgot something, feel free to ask about it specifically :D

Oh, ETA that we use as much cloth as possible--cloth napkins, old flannel diaper wipes and cloth diapers as rags, loads of dishrags, etc. We also use Marcal toilet paper and paper towels (when we have to), because they're the only brand this composed entirely of recycled paper products.

Thanks for your list. I, too, use Dr. Bonner's soap for me and I love it! it makes me feel so good. I am reluctant to throw out the bleach, too, just because sometimes it might be needed. Not all the time, however. It's minimizing one's exposure that really matters, I think. A once a year spa treatment isn't as harmful as every month or whatever. Using a little bleach one time to treat an illness that doesn't occur very often is okay, but using it to clean every weekend is not. :) I'm coming to see the balance of it all. I was going over to one extreme and not going to use them ever, but I've got to make the most important changes and not be obsessive about it. I tend to do that. Am I alone???? (I hope not...)

I'm kind of new to all of this... but so far

I use vinegar/water with a dash of Peppermint Dr. Bronners and a few drops of tea tree oil to do everyday cleaning. Kitchen counters, tables, etc. I love this because it is cheap, easy, safe, natural. I don't have to worry about accidental overspray on food or anything, or if my baby gets near it... Love it.

No poo... Baking soda/water for washing, vinegar/water/grapefruit essential oil for conditioning.

Face - nothing but a hot wet rag! I had to add - this is coming from someone who has had acne and what I thought was an oily face for over ten years now. My face is less oily now that I don't wash it! I've also had fewer breakouts!

Sometimes I take a nice bath with some epson salt and tea tree oil too.

Moisturizing - coconut oil! I have a seperate bottle with coconut oil/tea tree oil for my face. Pure coconut oil for rest of me, and use it for baby too. Love it! Again, my face is less oily now that I don't wash it and actually put oil on it! The coconut oil smells wonderful, has great benefits, and obsorbs into the skin very well. It's also not very expensive when compared to other "lotions", especially since a little bit goes a long way! It can also be used as personal lubricant, very well I might add. I really like this much better because it is natural... and with that area that is a good thing!

I'm going to be trying some of the natural deodarants mentioned on the other thread.

So far I've loved everything! I'm also thrilled that most everything I already had or it's cheaper than anything else you'd have to buy.

Edited by mommy2be

We have been using Rainbow Research who makes all natural kids products. Even henna for hair color.

We are going to try their oatmeal bar for dd's skin this mo.

All cleaning we do is steam. Shoot dh even cleaned up cat throw up on carpet w/steamer yesterday. It pulls everything up.

Bathroom Cleaner:

1 part 91% Rubbing Alcohol

1 part white vinegar

2 parts water

Put in spray bottle and use in bathroom for counters, sinks, toilet, and mirrors. Totally disinfects and leaves every surface shiny clean. I even use this on my floors.

To kill germs on cutting boards or other surfaces instead of bleach:

keep to spray bottles: one with white vinegar and one with hydrogen peroxide. DO NOT mix these in the same bottle!

First: Spray surface to be disinfected with vinegar and then immediately spray over the vinegar with hydrogen peroxide. Let stand and air dry for best results.

To scrub out a tub or sink:

Sprinkle area liberally with baking soda. Spray vinegar on the baking soda, let it foam a bit, scrub and then rinse.

Automatic Dishwasher:

Mix one part borax with one part washing soda. Use 1 Tbs. to clean and then use apple cider vinegar as the rinse agent.

I don't mess with the borax/washing soda. I just use the apple cider vinegar for washing and rinsing. Cleanest dishes I've ever had!

Toothpastes, mouth rinses, liquid soaps: Tom's of Maine, various flavors (all pretty good - but you have to get used to more subtle tastes, not a ton of sugar).

Shampoos and conditioners, hand lotions, lip balms, most anything: Burt's Bees or any brand that's taken the pledge to produce with no phthalates, lauryl sulfate, or other harmful chemicals.

All varieties of antiseptic, healing, restoring creams: Derma E

For nice smelling daily bathroom care sprays, natural air fresheners, window cleaner: Method (sold at Target, Whole Foods, etc.) - although plain old vinegar and baking soda go a long, long way....

Laundry and dishwashing needs: Seventh Generation

Dead Sea Salts for the bath. Locally made bar soaps (usually goat's milk).

Deodorant: Thai Crystal Mist

Feminine Products: Natracare

Sometimes Meyer's or Bartender's Friend in place of Comet - but generally just use baking soda.

I save old washcloths to use as cleaning cloths.

I'm so excited to read all your response! I love that we can use non toxic things to clean AND disinfect. I'm curious, have any of you changed your products and noticed any definite health changes in your family? I'm wondering if emotions will improve around here when I take away or minimize offending toxins. Hmmmm...

Toothpastes, mouth rinses, liquid soaps: Tom's of Maine, various flavors (all pretty good - but you have to get used to more subtle tastes, not a ton of sugar).

Shampoos and conditioners, hand lotions, lip balms, most anything: Burt's Bees or any brand that's taken the pledge to produce with no phthalates, lauryl sulfate, or other harmful chemicals.

All varieties of antiseptic, healing, restoring creams: Derma E

For nice smelling daily bathroom care sprays, natural air fresheners, window cleaner: Method (sold at Target, Whole Foods, etc.) - although plain old vinegar and baking soda go a long, long way....

Laundry and dishwashing needs: Seventh Generation

Dead Sea Salts for the bath. Locally made bar soaps (usually goat's milk).

Deodorant: Thai Crystal Mist

Feminine Products: Natracare

Sometimes Meyer's or Bartender's Friend in place of Comet - but generally just use baking soda.

I save old washcloths to use as cleaning cloths.

I'm curious about your laundry detergent. I used a non toxic detergent, not 7th Gen. (can't remember the name), and I noticed immediately a difference in my clothes. The whites were dingy, the colored clothes were faded after the first wash and the clothes just didn't get cleaned well. Currently, I'm just double rinsing my good ol' Tide. It's always made our clothes hold up, not look dingy or faded and gotten stains out well. It's going to be hard to change this one.

I use Seventh Gen (blue eucalyptus & lavender) in cold water, front loader, and have never had a dinginess problem, though I did have some issues with BioKleen. The Seventh Gen dishwasher powder works better than any brand I've ever used, too. I think it has a lot to do with your water and finding the right cleaner for it.

We use cloth napkins, cloth towels for wiping up/cleaning, cloth hankies. (I'm trying to segue into cloth instead of TP, but I think my husband may balk yet... slooooooowly pulling him over to the dark side. ;)) That's more an eco/financial thing, but I think keeping the dust from paper products out is also more healthful.

We are also fans of Tom's of Maine for oral hygiene and "no-poo" for hair care (I use coconut oil as "product", as well as body moisturizing). We either use Dr. Bronner's or handmade soap. I use Rainbow Research bubble bath for the kids because, let's face it, Dr. B's doesn't suds in a fun way.

I use baking soda as deodorant (works better than anything else I've ever tried, including those with questionable ingredients), though my husband prefers the Burt's Bees spray.

For feminine products, I use Sea Pearls (sponges) and cloth. My Diva and I did not get along that well. I have noticed a remarkable drop in length and volume since switching.

We have enjoyed fewer seasonal allergy symptoms, more energy, and just plain better overall health since moving away from chemicals in the house. It makes sense; if you're body is constantly on the alert because of the environmental chemicals you're exposed to daily, it mounts a crazy defense against anything at all that comes along.

OK...we dont do ALL natural...but we only use vinager to clean the entire house. I use chlorox toilet cleaner again. (I just needed it cleaner)

I bought spray bottles at home depot and put straight vinager in for the house. My bathrooms have never been so clean. The grout gets so white and clean with vinager. It never did that with bathroom cleaner. I was told the bathroom cleaner breaks up the caucking (cant spell that) as well. The vinager is very safe.

I use either apple vinager or white vinager for my kids that picked up athletes feet. 20 min soak. I add it to my wash if the pets have accidents on stuff to dilute smells as well.

Here is a great link:

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Want-To-Share-Some-Handy-Tips/480506