Menu

Memory work for K

plain jane

I'd like to get my K'er going with memory work this year as she's always asking for poems and such to memorize along with my oldest.

Last year in our preschool lessons at home she memorized one poem per month- easy Mother Goose rhymes- but she had a blast on our Friday night family recitation. She was always beaming with pride that she was able to memorize her piece and getting up in front of everyone to recite it was always the hi-lite of her week! :) This year I would like her to memorize 2 items per month but I need some suggestions that would be ideal for K.

Finding poems shouldn't be a problem, but am looking for other, practical ideas. She already knows days of the week, and I know FLL1 will cover months of the year next year.

What do some of you have your K'ers work on?

Here are some things we have done in addition to poetry:

catechism

presidents

elements

Greek letters

books of the Bible

identfying images of great architecture

Washington D.C. monuments

what's on the front and back of paper money

song lyrics (Take Me Out to the Ball Game, I'll Be Working on the Railroad)

We used flash cards for many of these memorization tasks.

Besides a couple of little poems and memory verses, in K my son also learned the books of the New Testament, The Ten Commandments, and the continents and oceans. My favorite little poem he learned at the beginning of the year was,

Teach me reading, teach me writing;

Math and how to spell,

But first let's learn important things

Like treating others well!

(Sorry - I don't know who wrote the poem.)

I've been thinking about this too.

Definitely poetry, but that's the "easy" part, in my mind.

She has known address and phone number, but that needs regular review. I want to make sure she knows Grandma's number and my cell phone number. Birthdays for other members of the family.

She knows days of week/ months of year, but those need review periodically.

Lord's Prayer (but again, constant review). Want to learn Apostle's and Nicene Creeds, General Confession, books of the Bible, various psalms and Bible verses. Maybe some other general prayers. (Song of Simeon, Mary's Magnificat, Prayer of St. Francis or St. Patrick).

Planets in the solar system. Locate all 50 states and most of the countries. Maybe be able to recite/ sing the 50 states and (maybe, possibly) the capitals. But probably not.

Oh! And we're going to work on the Golden Rule. A lot. Many, many, MANY times a day. (sigh....)

In K so far we have done:

Books of the Bible

Phone numbers and addresses

The Lord's Prayer

Continents

Weekly (or bi weekly) Bible verses

Days of the Week

Months of the year

How many days in each month

And some songs she picked :)

Currently working on states

Anxiously awaiting our Living Memory book to plan out some new memorization for all of the kids...