Menu

How have you taught with Phonics Pathways?

mindygz

Did you follow the guidelines/sample lesson structure written at the beginning or use a different approach? I really like the lessons, but am not sure how best to use the materials. I feel like I might be missing or overlooking something. :001_huh:

We have done about one page per day, too, and gone slower on some pages as needed. We would also do a page of Reading Pathways after (by the same author, used to be called Reading Pyramids). This was just a nice reinforcement, not a necessity. Later in the day we would read from a beginning reader (i.e., Bob books, ABeka phonics readers, etc.) or play a phonics game (the ones in the back of PP are great).

I would not worry about having your child write and/or spell the words, as is suggested. This can frustrate and make things harder than they need to be for a beginning reader. I use Phonic Pathways as a spelling program after they are fluent with reading and beginning writing, usually around first or second grade.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

We started when my son was 3 1/2, and I just went at his pace. Some days we'd just do one page, and other days, he'd do three or four. Once I started to "lose" him, I'd close the book for the day. He's 7 now and is a great reader! Phonics Pathways worked well for him. As for his younger brother, . . . we'll have to see!

What I love about Phonics Pathways is that there is no script so I am free to encourage each child according to their needs. I set the timer for 10-15 minutes & we read together- I explain the rules but I do not have the child memorize them. The child simply reads the list of words or sentences. If a page is really hard, we re-do it each day until it is easy. The number of pages we do changes each day.

I did make the game of flashcards of the vowels that is in the book & we play this when the child is learning his letters/sounds, which is before we actually start PP. Whenever the child comes across the picture of the eyes, they run as fast as they can. (I have boys- they need to MOVE!)

I always follow up PP with readers (Bob Books, McGuffey, library books, booklets made by my older children) after they start reading simple 3-letter words. We set the timer again for 10-15 minutes & read.

We also like to do ETC but it isn't at the same time as our phonics lessons.

HTH!

Heather

PP has greatly helped my DC's reading fluency. Like others, we would do a page or so a day. Simple and effective. We tended not to repeat pages the next day, like some have mentioned, but would continue on and then a few days later go back and read a column or row on tricky pages. We took a break from PP and added in ETC when they got bored with the repetition of PP (or was it me, lol!) -- they really love these workbooks -- but we'll be start again with PP soon.

We also read about one page per day. We play the games in the 9th edition. Also, when we're on those pages with column after column of words, my dd reads the word then I use it in a funny sentence. This adds a lot of entertainment/motivation. I highly recommend the pyramids (now called Reading Pathways) - they were the favorite part for both my kids.

Good luck!

Laura in WA

Okay, can I add a question? My 5 year old is somewhat difficult to work with. He has a speech delay and has an evaluation tomorrow for suspected SPD/SID. We tried Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and it did *not* work (the pictures distracted him). Then we switched to Readinga-z.com and that didn't work either (he liked to spell the words using the letter cards but hated everything else).

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to use OPGTR or Phonics Pathways. I own OPGTR and used it briefly with my older son. I have Phonics Pathways from the library. Which do you prefer? I'm sure that both are thorough programs, I'm just trying to decide which will work best.

I taught 3 kiddos to read with Phonics Pathways. It usually took about 30-45 days to get them really reading. We never made it to the end of the book, as they were off on their own about 2/3 of the way through.

We worked on our vowel sounds first (only the short of course) then did the combinations ma me mi mo mu, etc. At the beginning of every lesson we would go over the previous 3 or 4 pages. Our lessons were usually 30 minutes or so.

I swear by it. Haven't taught anyone under 5 yet though.