Menu

Easy crockpot meals for 3 hr cooking time?

It sure would be nice to have something ready for lunch when we come home from church, but the crockpot recipes I have call for 6 to 8 hrs of cooking time. I do NOT want to get up early on Sunday!

Any great ideas that are EASY? Something I can just TOSS in (without lots of chopping and precooking) that will be worthy of being called a meal?

My dc are READY to eat when we come home.

tia

If that is 6-8 on LOW, then you can do them 3-4 on HIGH and be fine!

Some meats really do need the long and slow sometimes, but really, even on low my crockpot cooks everything in 4 hours.

OH, and you can also put a dishtowel on top of the lid to speed it up a bit if you need too. I don't know where i read this - but it's been great when i want to cook on low, but want it to get to a high temp fast (like i'm leaving the house in a bit and want to turn it down).

We do BBQ chicken sandwiches a lot this way. Just throw in some boneless chicken and BBQ sauce, cook on high for 3 hours. Once you get home you just shred it and put it on some buns. I usually do corn on the cob and salad to go with it. It's fast and easy. I've usually got it on the table before the kids are finished changing out of their church clothes! ;)

This is of my favorites for Sunday lunch and sooooo easy and good!

Put some thin-ish steaks in the bottom of your crockpot, then add enough beef broth to not quite cover it all (add seasonings if you want extra flavor). I usually need about a 1/2 cup when cooking for 4. Then wrap corn (half ears) and potatoes individually in aluminum foil, adding a small pat of butter to the ones with corn. Put the corn and potatoes on top of the meat. Cover and let cook. When you get home all you have to do is serve (or add rolls and salad and serve). You can even let the kids help with wrapping the corn and potatoes.

I know it seems weird to put food wrapped in foil in your crockpot, but I promise it won't damage it. I have made this many times with no problems.

Have you tried the Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken from SparkRecipes?? It's GREAT and easy!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 cup salsa

1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning

1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)

1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Add chicken to slow cooker.

Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.

Pour salsa and soup over chicken.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

Serve with rice.

(*I have used fajita seasoning or a packet of McCormick White Chicken Chili seasoning instead of the taco stuff and it's just as good. You don't even need a full packet of seasoning, IMO, if you're only using the 4 chicken breasts; I make it with 6-7 so I do use it all. I serve with no-yolk noodles and rice. My kids don't like the chunkiness of the sauce so I just pour it through a strainer and add it back into the crockpot while I shred the chicken a bit. I LOVE this.)