Menu

What is your 10 yr doing this year?

LibraryLover

My 10yr. old

• Math Mammoth 3B/4A
  • CLE LA (minus the spelling)
  • Spelling Wisdom
  • CLE for Social Studies & Science
  • The Bridge to Latin Road. Will probably start late this year.
  • A combination of Writing Tales 1 and Meaningful Composition 4
  • CLE Reading
  • Poetry Memorization (not sure how we are going to fit this in yet)

For music we are pretty relaxed. Sometimes we learn a hymn and we also listen to different composers. Art, well, we are a bit relaxed here too. All the art my dc have done is from "Draw Write Now" & "1, 2, 3 Draw" :blink:.

Saxon 6/5 and Life of Fred

R & S (5)

Wordly Wise 3000 Grade 5

Vocab from Classical Roots - Gr. 5

IEW - Medieval Theme Based Writing (she completed IEW Basic in 3rd grade and SWI-A in 4th)

History Odyssey Middle Ages - Level Two

Science Odyssey Chemistry - Level One

Latin - (this is her third year of Latin)Completing Christiana Bk 2 and Beginning Ecce Romani I)

Spanish - DH will be teaching them

DD10 and the twins (who are 19 months younger) will begin swimming (refining strokes) in November; they have joined Choir and Handbell Choir at Church (it is the 2nd year for dd10), and I will sign them up for an art class through our county which has an excellent program of courses, AND DD10 and DD9 will take piano lessons and ds9 will take guitar lessons.

My ten year old (new 10 last month):

Practical Arithmetic, finish book 1

Draw Squad books

Matthew Through Acts and Ancient Rome ( from SCM, geo, history, bible)

Spelling Wisdom (SCM)

Meaningful Composition 4+

Rod and Staff English 4 (mosty oral)

First Form Latin (second year of Latin)

American History Stories by Mara Pratt

CLP Nature readers 4 and 5, The Story Book of Science w/nature notebook

Monet (Picture Study)

Mozart (composer study)

Hymn study

Tell Me More Spanish

Typing

Phew! That looks like a lot, but we do short lessons and a lot of things orally.

History Odyssey - level 2 - Middle Ages (plus some additional readers, mostly drawn from the WTM 6th list)

Lightning Lit 7

Algebra: Structure and Method (Dolciani)

Latin Prep 3

So You Really Want to Learn Science 1 (from Galore Park)

Thames and Kosmos Core Science middle school experiment kit

Critical Thinking Book 1

Elementary Greek

vocabulary/spelling bee study

Famous Men of the Middle Ages (w/ Memoria Press workbook)

memory work (largely from Living Memory)

art and composer study

(Not doing grammar as a separate subject this year, but we'll be spending time on grammar with Latin, Greek and the writing assignments in History Odyssey and Lightning Lit.)

Geography Coloring Book

For PE, ballet 3 times a week and fairly informal rec league soccer team.

This year's curriculum looks like this:

• 11 Weeks of Junior Analytical Grammar, followed by 18 weeks of Classical Writing Aesop B - This takes care of all the mechanics and then some.
  • Spelling Workout D-F (we're in the middle of D now)
  • Reading (this year I've chosen the Mike Venezia books on the U.S. Presidents which are written at fifth grade level. There is also always a book he's in the middle of -- right now we're working on the third Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.
  • Penmanship - I create my own worksheets with StarWriter. I use material from spelling, history, science, whatever needs "practice" goes in the penmanship worksheets.
  • World History (Susan Wise Baeuer's Story of the World Volume III - Early Modern Times). We work along the activity guide, but don't do everything. We do the questions and maps, some coloring pages (although he thinks they're too "goofy" this year so he's making his own drawings). He narrates each story, then types up his narrations (typing and word processing practice).
  • American History - We're going to read through The American Story: 100 True Tales from American History by Jeniffer Armstrong. This ties in nicely with our readers on the American presidents. We will read 3 stories each week.
  • Biology - Real Science4Kids Biology level 1. I am augmenting this with age appropriate books on cells, DNA, evolution and biographies of scientists that added something to biology. Since I'm teaching this at co-op, I'm coming up with all sorts of additional activities and experiments.
  • Math - Teaching Textbooks 5. At last -- math is an independent subject this year!
  • Literature. At this age, literature should be exclusively for enjoyment IMHO. I've created a list of children's classics with my son's help. I borrowed CD's for most of them from the library and put them in my iPod. I bought some I couldn't borrow. We talk about the stories, figure out motives, use words like "setting" and "characters," but there is no "work" associated with reading (that he's figured out yet). He doesn't even have to do his own reading. He listens to the books while he colors or we cuddle up in bed or the couch and listen. It goes with us on car trips, he listens when he plays legos, he listens before going to bed. Literature is nothing but delicious at this house.
  • Art Appreciation - We're studying 8 great masters from the Renaissance to tie in with our World History. One master every four weeks - plus we've thrown in an architect for good measure. We'll use the Mike Venezia books, as well as other age appropriate books.
  • Art - I'll use the books How to Teach Art to Children from Evan-Moore.
  • Music Appreciation - Again, 8 great masters, more Mike Venezia books, tons of beautiful music on the iPod every day, and a visit to classicsforkids.com for each master.
  • Music - piano lessons once a week plus daily practice
  • Latin - Finish Minimus: Starting Out in Latin and Minimus Secundus. We use the audio CD and a book called Learning Latin through Mythology which ties in beautifully with the Minimus program.
  • Logic - This is his last grammar stage pre-logic year. We'll do Red Herring Mysteries and several other books on critical thinking, puzzles, etc. I get most of my stuff from the Critical Thinking Company.
  • Typing - Typing Tutor Deluxe. I had to fold and pay money for something we could have gotten for free online. The BBC has a great typing tutor online for kids, but ds has rebelled against all things "cute" like dancing little old old ladies.
  • Spanish - Rosetta Stone. He hears Spanish every day, so it's not like he's learning a new language. We're working on pronunciation and vocabulary. He does it about 15 minutes a day and I see big progress.
  • Swimming - twice a week

We work Monday to Thursday from 8am to 12noon with plenty of "go outside and run around" breaks. We take care of "busy" work then. After lunch, we have a one hour or so session, but it's all the fun stuff -- art, music, science labs.

Fridays we reserve for doing stuff with friends. Co-op, play dates, movie nights, socializing, etc. This stuff spills over into the weekend and it's basically three days of play, play and more play. We also have a standing Tuesday afternoon Skate Date with our co-op friends.

The curricula for World History, American History, Biology, Latin, Art Appreciation and Music Appreciation was developed for my co-op. (We make it available free for anyone to download, so if you're interested, there's a link in my signature.) I pulled the rest together.

It seems like a lot, but it's really not. We never work more than five hours a day and that includes a quick jump in the pool or running around outside with the dogs when he gets fidgety. Most of the subjects are 15-20 minutes with Science, History and Math being the longest at 30-40 minutes. We do science two days and history two days, so it's one or the other.

Our 5th grade plan is posted below in my siggy. This is our first year with TOG, and so we will be studying Ancient History as the spine of our unit studies. We are adding the TOG lapbooks because she needs plenty of hands-on projects.

We'll be changing all of our curriculum this year except for LFC, and I must say that dd and I are really excited.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My newly 10 yo ds is using:

SL 4 for History and Science

FLL 4

WWE (slowly doing last few weeks of 2 as we await 3)

Spelling Power

Wordly Wise

Singapore Math 4, Flashmaster, Times Attack

Building Thinking Skills, Level 2

Rosetta Stone

Editor in Chief

Atelier Level 3 (sharing with sis in 1st grade)

Classical Kids Music series

Starting Strong, AWANAS, and Day by Day Bible

My 10 yr. old is dyslexic so my curriculum choices reflect that.

Bartons Reading and Spelling

MUS

CW-Homer

LC I--due to her dyslexia, learning latin has been very difficult for dd so we are going through this very slowly

unit studies for history and science--for history we are zipping tour from history from Ancients to Modern, focusing on people during the various time frames. Science units are chosen by the kids

Mother Tongue II for grammar

AO Yr. 5 lit. list--we are focusing on being more independent for lit. I want dd to read book and make notes (narrations for each chapter) and then we will discuss book once or twice a week. I want this to be a baby step for discussions of the Great Books

We are also focusing on outlining and beginning to write reports, essays, etc.

My soon to be 10yo is doing:

TOG year 4 (vocab, mapping, literature)

God's Design Science

Typing

Writing With Ease (will do book 2 and 3 this year)

Right Start book C and Start D

All About Spelling 2 and 3

Junior Analytical Grammar

That is all I can think of right now, but I feel like I am forgetting something. :001_huh:

Heather

My soon to be 10yo is doing:

TOG year 4 (vocab, mapping, literature)

God's Design Science

Typing

Writing With Ease (will do book 2 and 3 this year)

Right Start book C and Start D

All About Spelling 2 and 3

Junior Analytical Grammar

That is all I can think of right now, but I feel like I am forgetting something. :001_huh:

Heather

LOL yes, it's hard to fully explain all that goes on in one's home, anyway. I do like getting the gist of what other little people are doing, however.

Edited by LibraryLover