Menu

4th grader with no previous writing experience - WWYD?

1shortmomto4

My ds, entering into 4th grade, has had minimal exposure to sentence writing and basic grammar. He was a struggling reader so my focus was on getting him reading and now that has been accomplished we are ready to move on forward and adding to his skills. He can compose a sentence and I act as his scribe but due to some handwriting issues (dysgraphia), I want something that is short. I'm looking for the following:

Step-by-step writing - start with a sentence and work into a paragraph

colorful - loves workbooks

not a lot of writing, writing and more writing (yes I know he's learning to write but not drill and kill)

I have copywork and spelling covered but also need something that is easy/light on grammar, too. I'm not a fan of diagramming or memorizing. I have Writing Tales 1 TM (haven't purchased the workbook) but not sure if this is the right fit for him). I am more CM-oriented with a bit of Ruth Beechick. I like the SL LA but it is too much writing for him. Queen's books have small lines and typos (at least in the upper grades). I really like the look/style of BJU English 2 (I know he's going into 4th but I have to start somewhere) and I've used the English 3 and he's not ready for that level but wondering what else might be a good fit and easy to teach.

Help?

WWE.

I like WT a lot, but you should wait till he is comfortably writing his own narrations before beginning it. He doesn't even need to write anything original, but he needs to be able to write a half page or page of SOMETHING and get it down on paper comfortably. That's where WWE is going to help you. It's going to back up all the way to how to hear the words and get them on paper, how to put thoughts into words, and how to connect the two. I'd do that and focus on basic things like copywork and dictation. Don't forget oral narration. Just because he's not comfortable writing physically doesn't mean he can't be learning how to get his thoughts into words and get them out. Teach him to type and he might take off. I'd make typing one of his every day subjects. We like Tying Instructor, but even something like the Calvert Spelling, that isn't overtly typing, is good too and speeds them up. Might help you kill two birds with one stone. :)

Meaningful Composition Book 4+ might be a good place for your son to start. http://www.tfths.com/comp.php The same company also puts out CQLA which is a complete LA program.

It doesn't have colorful pages but most writing programs don't. There are sample pages that you can look at on their web-site. Pages 3 and 4 of the table of contents explains how the program works and gives some details of the different levels.

If you need a grammar program you might like Easy Grammar. No diagramming and it covers all the basics. http://www.easygrammar.com/index2.html.

My son (going into 6th) finally became a fluent reader after Christmas last year (he had just turned 11). His spelling is still atrocious, but that's improving. His writing is... well he still struggles. We've tried Bravewriter, Writing Tales and Writing Strands, but nothing has really helped. I've realized from the beginning that I've learned well with abstract material and unclear directions, but ds needs clear explanations and concrete expectations. I've had trouble providing that clarity as a writing instructor.

After reading the sample pages of SWB's writing book (they are here - scroll down), I realized at least some of the reasons that ds was having trouble. I've been expecting him to be able to do stuff that I've never explicitly taught him to do (putting his thoughts into a format that works for written communication). We are going to back up this year and spend a lot of time on narration and dictation. I'll be there writing for him, so I'll be able to continue to work on all the aspects of sentence formation, as well as helping him organize his thoughts. I've ordered the WWE writer's text, and I hope that I can accelerate his progress and get him up to grade level in a year or two.

So I guess I'm saying that WWE might work for my son. I don't know if your son needs the same sort of incremental, orderly approach, but if he does, I think WWE might work for him too.

Good Luck,

Donna Young has a suggestion to try timed writing for fluency. I gave my son a notebook and gave him a prompt once or twice a week. We set the timer, and he wrote what he could in ten minutes. Sometimes my prompts are, "Tell me about what happens in _________ movie." Sometimes I ask a narration question from out history or literature reading. But doing these orally first really helped his ability to form a coherent response.