Menu

Thoughts on the TV show Ben 10?

Does anyone know this show? Do you have any thoughts, positive or negative, about it? My DD6 was introduced to it via Cartoon Network by my mom (:glare:). She loves the show, though she hasn't seen many episodes, and I've seen two full episodes. It seems OK to me, albeit a bit more flashy and crashy than I like for kids. I actually really enjoyed the show myself, but I'm 35, so that's OK! I like the way the three main characters stick together, and the last episode I saw had a prominent theme about thinking for yourself, seeing people (ok, aliens) for who they are, and trying to make change for peace. We're not Christian (well, DH is, but very liberal), so we're not concerned about any issues along those lines, and I don't THINK it's too violent--I mean, it's not Dora the Explorer, but it's certainly not PG-13 level. Neither DD is scared by it in any way, and DD6 has been inspired artistically by it, plus it has sparked some science-related discussion. It reminds of some of the cartoons that were on when we were kids. DD3 still enjoys little-kid shows, but DD6, who's really a 14-year-old trapped in a 6-year-old body, is really looking for something a little more grown up now.

I don't know. I guess I'm worried that I'm missing some undercurrent or concern. I'm not so good at spotting subtext! If you have any input, I'd love to hear it. We're considering getting rid of our cable, and telling DD that we can get the series DVDs from Netflix would ease the transition greatly.

TIA!

Thumbs down for me! We rented the dvd from the library and although most of the shows have the typical sibling rivalry between Ben and his cousin (Gwen?) their was one episode that had Ben defying his Grandpa, hanging out with a "bad kid" and going into a warehouse to take a video game he wanted......well I'm not sure how the episode ended ;) We stopped the show right there and I told the boys that we wouldn't be getting Ben 10 again (hey that rhymes :D) and the reasoning behind it.

ETA, wanted to let you know that we do let kids watch Spectacular spiderman, The Batman etc. so we are not overly conservative, however this particular Ben 10 episode we watched was ugly in every sense of the word

Diane

Edited by Diane in CO

All 4 of my older boys went through a Ben 10 phase. They got Ben 10 watches for Christmas, they played Ben 10 with each other, got Ben 10 figures, the whole shebang. Then we ditched Cable. And Ben 10 fell by the wayside. IMHO...it wasn't a bad show and we are pretty conservative about what we let them watch. I didn't find it too, too violent.

My little nephew (just turned 4) was attracted to that show (not sure where he first saw it). He's a very mellow, sweet, smart, sensitive, verbal child, and he loved the Ben 10 watch. Sometimes he says "Watch me turn into an alien!" and that's about it. It seems harmless. I don't know the show, but it doesn't seem to have had any negative affect on his darling-ness whatsoever.

As far as cable cartoon shows go - we love Ben 10. Entertaining even for adults, the kids are good kids, and it's not overly violent. We allow it when we're at my grandma's. (No cable at our house.)

My son watched it and I didn't have a problem with it but we watch some things that others would not allow so you may or may not want to take my word for it. I am christian but I am liberal too. If I watch something and like it and don't see anything wrong with it or in your case I find something about it that I like. I will point that out to my kids that I really like the way they stay with their friends. I believe in pointing out what makes it a good thing to watch vs something else.

Keep in mind there is Ben 10 and also Ben 10 Alien Force (where he and Gwen are 15 and date etc.) I didn't realize that and I didn't like the teenage version. My son w/ special needs gets stuck on shows. He watched it every day and had the watch from a birthday party present. I asked him to decide for himself if it was the best choice for a show, and he stopped watching it on his own.

My 7 year old really liked it for a while. We do most of our watching via TiVo and I never recorded it for him, and he seems to have drifted away. He was less interested in the teen version. There are Cartoon Network shows that I actively dislike and won't allow, but this isn't one of the ones that I've chosen to resist. That said, we don't have that much time for TV watching, especially in the summer when it is nice out, so it hasn't been watched much lately.