Menu

Honestly, I think I want a burquini...

Wow, those rules are really strict! My dh's and ds's totally average Lands End bathing suits wouldn't pass muster because they're loose. The rules require form fitting suits so all the guys must have to wear racing suits. In fact, I'm not sure my skirted LE suits would be allowed either.

It just goes to show how different standards can be. Remember the ribbing that old men in speedos took a few weeks ago on the board?

"These clothes are used in public, so they can contain molecules, viruses, et cetera, which will go in the water and could be transmitted to other bathers," Guillaume said in a telephone interview.

eh?

1. The burqini is a swimsuit ~ not something that people wear while roaming around town.

2. Every other swimsuit that anyone wears to the pool has been somehow guaranteed free of any sort of contamination? Even the swimsuit that someone's kid forgot to rinse out after playing on the slipNslide the other day? Y'know, the one that smells & needs a wash somethin' awful - but the kid didn't care and put it on anyway... yeah okay, sure thing.

3. molecules? Goodness, we can't have those in the water, now can we.

eh?

1. The burqini is a swimsuit ~ not something that people wear while roaming around town.

2. Every other swimsuit that anyone wears to the pool has been somehow guaranteed free of any sort of contamination? Even the swimsuit that someone's kid forgot to rinse out after playing on the slipNslide the other day? Y'know, the one that smells & needs a wash somethin' awful - but the kid didn't care and put it on anyway... yeah okay, sure thing.

3. molecules? Goodness, we can't have those in the water, now can we.

My thoughts, exactly. And form-fitting suits are more hygenic?:lol:

Yeah, when you get that wedgie and pull it out-very sanitary indeed:lol:

Or how about the spit floating around in the pool? No germs there either:lol:

And of course those swim diapers really keep it all in too:lol:

Try to be modest in this day and age and it is becoming illegal. How sad.

Wow, those rules are really strict! My dh's and ds's totally average Lands End bathing suits wouldn't pass muster because they're loose. The rules require form fitting suits so all the guys must have to wear racing suits. In fact, I'm not sure my skirted LE suits would be allowed either.

It just goes to show how different standards can be. Remember the ribbing that old men in speedos took a few weeks ago on the board?

Yes, well, we'll leave them alone if they're in France, because they are actually required to wear them. (And I recall somebody commenting in the not so distant past that French pools have speedo vending machines, in case one shows up in one of those "unhygienic" suits... wouldn't want anyone to be embarrassed because they can't get in the water, now, would we? :tongue_smilie:)

I love my swimsuit from http://www.ohanaswimwear.com

I only have to put sunscreen on my face and arms.

Mine is a 2-piece that looks like the one on their homepage. It's very comfortable and I don't need any sunscreen on my back at all because it's completely covered.

You can believe their sizing chart for the tops, but I had to get a smaller size for the shorts. My waist is XL and my hips are L, but the medium is what fit me.

Its the norm at my local pool :D

(actually, we have a real mix of covered - from those who tend to be local to the area, and very uncovered- the tourists at the hotel)

I think they do the job- it covers, for modesty and it offers protection from the sun.

Here is another article about it.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/849287/paris-pool-bans-burqini-swimsuit

Edited by sgilli3

That's a load of crud, right there. :glare:

Can't they claim religious discrimination?? Because that what it is, really. I know we have problems in the US with anti-Muslim sentiment, but it is no where near the levels found in Europe, IMO.

Isn't France the county that won't let women wear head scarves to school, also?

I am in the "wear what you want" camp, ie, bikinis don't bother me a bit, even topless is not a biggie to me. But "wear what you want" means you should have the right to cover up, too!!

My dd's have that exact swim suit and it has been great. Wonderful quality plus made from lycra so it is swimming pool proofed. They have used it many different places incl. at indoor hotel pools and have never had any problems. Once we had some friends wearing regular material in the hotel pool and they were refused entry since the kind of material would clog up their filtration system. This suit has slightly shortened legs as well fo safety issues. You can get a mini-skirt onto the pants, but that would make you float a bit onto the water.

Just my input here. I can't comment on the France situation without seeing red. The world is really too big to choose to live in a place where you get discriminated against like that (religious-wise)!!