Menu

What are your (alls) thoughts on The Story of Science by Joy Hakim series?

Funny you should mention that, since I read 1/4 of the middle volume this morning (trying to pre-read and write discussion questions before our school year starts).

So I've read the first volume and 1/4 of the second and my thoughts:

(1) I love it. All kids should learn this material--I think it is very important to understand that science develops and isn't some perfect, eternal thing in a textbook.

(2) It is physically gorgeous--probably the most lovely book set we own for school.

(3) It is incredibly interesting, esp. as she integrates art, politics, etc. with science.

(4) I find an ever-so-slight anti-religious bias. Not enough for us not to use the books, but enough that I mark a few things to talk about as we go.

(5) I am pro-environmentalism. However, I think there are just a few places where she does the kind of knee-jerk unthinking pro-enviro things that really turn people off.

I ordered The Story of Science-Aristotle leads the Way for science this year. Are there others and does it matter which you read first?

We used the History of US this past year and the boys loved it and we are going to continue with it this year so I thought that I would try science as well. Hoping that it will be equally engaging for my boys.

I have only managed to get hold of Aristotle and really enjoyed it--I was sad that my kid isn't quite old enough to love it yet! I learned a lot. There was kind of a weird chapter in the beginning about creation myths in different cultures, and as Julie said there seemed to be a very slight anti-religious bias (when talking about the medieval church) but it was small and easily dealable (yes, I know that's not a word).

I hope to get all 3 for my own someday.

I wanted my kids to love them...they didnt. After a while, I didnt push them and they sit on my shelf. My kids however are not especially sciencey.

However....they do love the various Tiner books, which are kind of similar without all the colourful pictures and sidebars. Bear in mind that my kids also never liked the Usborne or Kingfisher encyclopedias. I think all the distractions on the page might turn them off.

I started using it this year (beginning with Aristotle) with my 6th and 7th grader, and we all love it so far (we're a month in to the year). The corresponding worksheets and experiments by Johns Hopkins University Press are great and really drive the ideas home. It is *a lot* of reading, however (especially since we are also doing History of US and lots of lit. this year), so I am changing to a round-robin read-aloud approach rather than having them read on their own before our discussion time.