Menu

Can we talk writing curric?

Aubrey

I've got a 2nd g ds, & I've pared our sch down to the basics for the rest of the yr. We're doing hist, sc, & math daily.

Ds reads his sc assignment himself (reading) & copies a sentence from the assignment into his notebook & illustrates it.

He reads independently from 1 ch book (MTH, EB, etc.), 1 sc book, & 1 hist book. We do one or more of these 3 daily, sc reading daily.

I read from SOTW to ds & younger dd. Ds dictates his narration, then copies it. He does copywork for hist 1-2x/wk. We do the mapwork & try to do a project every week or two.

So this is how we're covering the 3 R's for now, thr hist & sc really. (Well, math is still separate.) I've been reading about y'all's experiences w/ writing programs lately, though, & I'm looking at next yr. In the long run, it looks like ds will benefit greatly from having a real writing prog sooner than later, but there's so much to choose from!

1. Writing Strands. We tried this. I'm in the hate-it camp. Sorry.

2. Writing Tales. I went to their website last night & looked at a sample lesson. It looked ok...kind-of dull, but fine...but toward the end, the over-simplification resulted in some basic writing errors that bothered me.

3. IEW. I couldn't tell anything about this except that it is wildly popular & expensive & teacher-intensive. I don't mind something needing me, in fact, I tend to think that's better. BUT we'll have a 15mo & a newborn next yr, so I want to be realistic. Watching videos to teach me how to teach sounds not only mind-numbingly boring, but...well, time-consuming. Fwiw, writing is my specialty, & I've been teaching it at the secondary/college levels for about 10 yrs. Not to littles, though. Mainly, I don't fall into the camp of being scared by it.

Now, if IEW is really that good, I want to know. I just need more specifics than I've found in previous threads so far.

I looked at a couple of others, too, but my brain is fuzzy from a cold. There was one on Lulu that starts with Aesop & goes on to Homer, but I couldn't tell enough about them from the brochure.

I hope this doesn't make me come across as a slacker. We've just had so many upheavals this yr, I don't feel like we can catch up, & I get so focused on that that we don't enjoy the learning any more, kwim? So for now, I've dropped the Spanish, formal spelling & grammar (FLL)--all the stuff I don't like--for a more lit-based approach, & for the first time in mos, we've actually gotten everything I planned for the week done. Ds seems happier, & he's definitely become more productive & independent. But I'm writing about a writing curric...sorry...:o

Normally when people around here want to talk writing curric. It is because they haven't been getting their kids to write. You are doing great. Adding writing into the core subjects is awesome. It shouldn't be done in isolation.

The WTM recommendations for third grade are 20-30 minutes of writing a day:

penmanship, dictation two or three days a week, short compositions in history or science (two paragraphs), letters to friends or relative twice a month, and writing instruction two to three days a week.

Since your specialty is writing, I think you are probably naturally incorporating writing instruction. You probably ask for sentence variety, good transitions, well formed paragraphs. You probably already help him do revisions and pre-writing planning. I don't think you would gain anything from a "writing program" geared for elementary students.

IEW has some free lesson plans and their yahoo group has some too (from what I have heard). Maybe take a look at those to see what types of things they try to bring out in writing.

Hi Aubrey,

Here is a link to discussion where I compared WS to Classical Writing (the program on Lulu with Aesop and Homer books): http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=11892 I can't say enough good things about CW. After my experience with CW, I've never had a need to look at all of the new writing programs that are out there.

I haven't seen IEW, but after reading SWB's review, it never really interested me enough to look into it further: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/J00review.html

You can view samples and pre-order on the Peace Hill Press website. I didn't know if this might be something of interest to you. About paring down to basics, I think it sounds great! We dropped Spanish several months ago, and I was a Spanish major! There just wasn't enough time for everything we were trying to do. I wish I could help you more, but I am also trying to choose a writing curr. for my dd who will be 7 soon. I'll be watching this thread. :)

Could you use R & S level 3 for grammar next year? I read a review from SWB that for the early levels there was enough writing in R&S. That would keep it simple for you and yet you would still be getting a good foundation.

My ds is going into 3rd next year as well. Our plan is to use R&S and then Writing Aids (from Tapestry of Grace). However keep in mind that for the most part in the early grades they need to know how to write a complete sentence and then start on paragraphs. Complete sentences will be covered in R&S but I'm not sure about paragraphs.

I guess my opinion is that if you are using a grammar program you could probably just use it till at least the middle of third grade and maybe into 4th.

hth

We're using a combination of CW Aesop (the one on Lulu) and dictation this year for 3rd grade. We do a separate programs for spelling and grammar, but they probably aren't really necessary. Daily dictation for us works on penmanship, spelling, and punctuation. We're slowly increasing the amount of dictation we do to help strengthen DD's muscles longer term for a more intensive workload in the logic stage. CW Aesop is set up so that you do 1 lesson over 2 weeks. The first week you read and discuss the story, cover spelling or vocabulary (we skip this step), use the lesson for grammar (types of sentences and parts of speech), and do a dictation exercise. The second week you would do a key word outline, write a rough draft, edit the draft (looking first at the mechanics and then gradually looking at the style as well), and do a final draft.

I can't say enough good things about CW. After my experience with CW, I've never had a need to look at all of the new writing programs that are out there.

I haven't seen IEW, but after reading SWB's review, it never really interested me enough to look into it further: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/J00review.html

You said it all and better than I could have said it!!:) Totally agree with everything you said!!

I looked at Classical Writing and Writing Tales and even showed the samples to my dd.

Instead I read and took tons of notes from the books Composition in the Classical Tradition and Rhetoric in the Classical Tradition. They are by different authors and I was able to interlibrary loan the books.

From my notes I am developing my own curriculum that doesn't scare my dc away from writing but makes it fun and enjoyable.

This year for 2nd grade we are just doing summary or precis writing of Aesop's Fables. I read a fable on Mondays, she coposes her summary on Tuesdays and I write it down. On Wednesday and Thursday she works on copying it in her own penmanship from my typed copy.

Next year we will be expanding the narrations and slanting them to reflect various viewpoints.

If you are good at writing and teaching composition then the books above will be very self-explanatory and fairly easy to adadpt. I majored in English lit and found them to be a great all-in-one source for composition.:)

Way to go Christy! I have those books too, but I use them to understand how to teach CW. Writing is not my strong point (I have a BBA in accounting), so I don't think I could put together my own writing program, but with the right knowledge, it obvioulsy can be done. Maybe we'll see your writing program on Lulu one of these days...

I'm also trying to incorporate precis writing as I teach my boys. I was really trying to do that this year, but it just hasn't happened yet. I have Precis Writing for American Schools by Thurber, and my hope is to have my older boys doing oral precis, if not written precis next year. Can you give me any insight into how you taught precis writing? When I made an attempt to teach it this year, I ran into a wall because they wanted to quote the topic sentence verbatim as their precis; I was happy that they could find the topic sentence though.

Thanks for any help you have to offer!

Hi Aubrey,

Here is a link to discussion where I compared WS to Classical Writing (the program on Lulu with Aesop and Homer books): http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=11892 I can't say enough good things about CW. After my experience with CW, I've never had a need to look at all of the new writing programs that are out there.

This was incredibly helpful! I would have been *so* frustrated if I'd spent the time & $ on IEW only to find that it was inferior to WS.

Your description of WS was great, too. That's exactly the lesson I use to remind dh which prog I'm talking about, lol.

We went to CW's site & looked at the sample pgs & brochure. Dh is *really* excited about this prog (& the fact that it's so much cheaper than IEW:)), but he thinks CW looks like a lot of work, too. Good work, but he questions our follow-through.:o

So...do you have any more info to share on what you actually do w/ this prog? Is the main book just *how* to teach? Do you need the workbook, too? (Not that this bothers me, just trying to get a better grasp on what it is.)

I'd like to know what SWB says about CW. I really love the WTM & her opinions on ed in general, but I seem to have bad luck w/ her rec's. Saxon, WS, FLL, for ex., have been some of my *least* fav curric!:(

Thanks again for an excellent review!

Aubrey, I think that you will find that most writing curriculums are going to drive you batty. FWIW, IEW is simply nothing more than re-writing in your own words from a key word outline and adding "dress-ups" (which is basically strong verbs, adjs, and which clauses). I owned levels A and C, watched them with the kids one time, never pulled them out again, and finally sold them last yr.

With your background in writing, I would suggest simply add simple writing across curricula assignments and do your own thing. If you want to follow the progym, simply work through the different stages on your own.

I have never found a writing curriculum I could simply use as is and love. Overall, I don't think teaching writing is that difficult and it doesn't need to be so convoluted (which is what I think about CW) or so regemented (formulaic) that the kids can't find their own way to express themselves. We work on fundamentals in the younger yrs (topic sentence, supporting details, transitions, agreement) and progress to style when they have the basics mastered. I simply give my kids varied types of assignments (from pretending to be a journalist, writing scenes, report booklets, etc).

So.....keep your $$$. Be willing to trust yourself and you'll be fine. It really isn't difficult. Simply pull something from what you are currently studying. :)

Since your specialty is writing, I think you are probably naturally incorporating writing instruction. You probably ask for sentence variety, good transitions, well formed paragraphs. You probably already help him do revisions and pre-writing planning. I don't think you would gain anything from a "writing program" geared for elementary students.

:o:o:o

Um, I've been *taught* to teach writing. I teach writing at the secondary/psec levels (well, I hope). I also (hope) I write well.

But for my dc? I don't do any of the things you listed. Ds COPIES a sentence from his sc book. I don't even ask for it to be the most important, just something he found interesting.

For hist, he does dictate the narration...mostly himself. But he gets A LOT of prodding & redirecting from me. Paragraphs!? Nope, not doing paragraphs yet. No sentence variety--although we do make sure they're complete. No pre-writing, either.

Maybe I overstated my qualifications, lol. I think the only relevant part was that I'm not SCARED of writing! (But now I'm wondering if I should be.;))

Aubrey, I think that you will find that most writing curriculums are going to drive you batty. FWIW, IEW is simply nothing more than re-writing in your own words from a key word outline and adding "dress-ups" (which is basically strong verbs, adjs, and which clauses). I owned levels A and C, watched them with the kids one time, never pulled them out again, and finally sold them last yr.

With your background in writing, I would suggest simply add simple writing across curricula assignments and do your own thing. If you want to follow the progym, simply work through the different stages on your own.

I have never found a writing curriculum I could simply use as is and love. Overall, I don't think teaching writing is that difficult and it doesn't need to be so convoluted (which is what I think about CW) or so regemented (formulaic) that the kids can't find their own way to express themselves. We work on fundamentals in the younger yrs (topic sentence, supporting details, transitions, agreement) and progress to style when they have the basics mastered. I simply give my kids varied types of assignments (from pretending to be a journalist, writing scenes, report booklets, etc).

So.....keep your $$$. Be willing to trust yourself and you'll be fine. It really isn't difficult. Simply pull something from what you are currently studying. :)

Oh, I like this advice. It makes the writing instruction in me stand up & sing...

But I'm also afraid I just wouldn't do it. I don't feel very creative 1st thing in the AM, kwim? Esp w/ baby crying & ds whining, "Writing???" LOL (Although he doesn't complain about the science...maybe I should go that way...hm...)

I'm really going to think about this. I would love it. Thank you!

You can view samples and pre-order on the Peace Hill Press website. I didn't know if this might be something of interest to you. About paring down to basics, I think it sounds great! We dropped Spanish several months ago, and I was a Spanish major! There just wasn't enough time for everything we were trying to do. I wish I could help you more, but I am also trying to choose a writing curr. for my dd who will be 7 soon. I'll be watching this thread. :)

I'd definitely be interested in looking at SWB's writing curric, but so far...her style is so simple...I mean, it's really good & gentle...but...I guess I'm not gentle?;)

I'm SO relieved to hear that someone else dropped Spanish. I'm so ashamed! LOL I mean, my minor in my ed degree was ESL, so I know the value of teaching a lang to a child when they're young. But...sigh. We're all happier w/out it for now.:o

Could you use R & S level 3 for grammar next year? I read a review from SWB that for the early levels there was enough writing in R&S. That would keep it simple for you and yet you would still be getting a good foundation.

My ds is going into 3rd next year as well. Our plan is to use R&S and then Writing Aids (from Tapestry of Grace). However keep in mind that for the most part in the early grades they need to know how to write a complete sentence and then start on paragraphs. Complete sentences will be covered in R&S but I'm not sure about paragraphs.

I guess my opinion is that if you are using a grammar program you could probably just use it till at least the middle of third grade and maybe into 4th.

hth

Thanks. I'm looking at R&S. It's just too popular here to ignore, & I'll need something for next yr. I just couldn't do FLL any more. I don't know why. It's a GREAT prog, really.

I looked at Classical Writing and Writing Tales and even showed the samples to my dd.

Instead I read and took tons of notes from the books Composition in the Classical Tradition and Rhetoric in the Classical Tradition. They are by different authors and I was able to interlibrary loan the books.

From my notes I am developing my own curriculum that doesn't scare my dc away from writing but makes it fun and enjoyable.

This year for 2nd grade we are just doing summary or precis writing of Aesop's Fables. I read a fable on Mondays, she coposes her summary on Tuesdays and I write it down. On Wednesday and Thursday she works on copying it in her own penmanship from my typed copy.

Next year we will be expanding the narrations and slanting them to reflect various viewpoints.

If you are good at writing and teaching composition then the books above will be very self-explanatory and fairly easy to adadpt. I majored in English lit and found them to be a great all-in-one source for composition.:)

I'll look at these. I think your idea is great, but I've found myself doing that w/ too much. I've started my own curric for too many subjects! LOL My nature is to spend all of my time hunting for/creating just the right thing but never actually *teach* anything. I'm trying to restrain myself.:D

The combination of ideas offered here really helps. Now I'm off to ponder.

I don't understand why there needs to be a formal writing curriculum in 3rd grade, I thought I needed one too but only because of the board's influence. For LA next year, we'll:

-After we finish Explode the Code Books 6-8, we will start Simply Spelling which uses copywork and dictation.

- Continue using Primary Language Lessons which includes narrations oral/written, dictations, copywork, picture study, creative writing, descriptive writing, grammar, punctuation & usage, as well as poetry study and letter writing.

After Primary Language Lessons, we'll use Writing Tales 1 probably skipping a few of the exercises such as spelling since we're using Simply Spelling. Then we'll move onto to Intermediate Language Lessons, from there I'll decide on a writing program unless we just use Writing Aids from Tapestry of Grace. (TOG is our history program and the Writing Aids is for 1-12th).

I'm happy and confident this will get us where we need to be for the upper years without stressing my child out (or me). I can't advise anyone regarding writing, I just figured sharing what we'll do might be a help in itself, maybe. Lol.

I wrote a LONG post months ago about my approach to writing. If you are interested, let me know. It is simple. Pretty much doesn't take much daily brain power. ;) And it's free. :)

I have oodles of writing curricula sitting on my shelves that I don't use. :( I find them too confining, too contrived. I love letting my kids write across curricula b/c it does double duty.....it reinforces what they are already studying and develops writing skills at the same time.

FWIW.....your credentials are probably equal or greater than most of the producers of writing programs out there. :)

I think it was 2 summers ago that DH and I sat down together to decide which writing program to use in our homeschool. I was confused with all of the writing programs available, and I needed to make a decision. Therefore, I printed off as much information as I could on the various writing programs, and we decided to go with CW because of its classical method approach to writing.

The core book for each CW level explains the theory and gives you a guideline of how the lessons should be set up to accomplish the goals for that level. It's good to see where you are going and why you are doing the assignments, but I couldn't use this series without the student workbooks and IG too. For me, I need the complete package to make it successful in our homeschool. In addition, I'm not a natural writer, so I lack the confidence to wing it on my own. I would be lost with just the core book. The wrkbk/IG combination would work, but I don't think any of us would get as much as we do out of the program if the core wasn't part of the package.

It is teacher intensive; especially with the younger years. However, as I've gained experience with the different lower levels, I do feel better about teaching the more advanced books. I know what to expect...sometimes. Honestly, there are days where I'm lost, and I have to stop the lesson and pull out the core book or I just press on and eventually the pieces fall together. Another area of weakness for me is grammar. I've done a lot of self education in this area the past year, so I'm getting better, but the diagramming in CW really stretches me. I'm very thankful for the IG which also includes an answer key. Sometimes I think the IG doesn't give enough teacher helps. They don't always spoon feed you. I found this especially true for the Poetry for Beginners Book A. It was an awesome experience though. We all learned a lot about poetry the past 12-weeks.

Here's a better review of the poetry series that I posted: http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=11154

I'm not sure what level you might begin with, but I follow the schedule set up on the CW website: http://home.att.net/~mikejaqua/whichbookstobuy.html

We started with Aesop B the first year. We did one lesson a week and took the next week off. On our off weeks we memorized the poems that we were to study the following year in Poetry for Beginners. It was a slow introduction to CW, but it was good for me.

Here is the basic schedule we follow for Homer this year:

Monday--Read aloud and narrate passage; Analyze story for writing project

Tuesday--Dictation and Vocabulary analysis; Plan (outline) for writing project

Wednesday--Analyze sentences and diagramming exercises; Write draft for writing project

Thursday--Copywork and Paragraph paraphrase; Edit Draft for writing project

Friday--Write Final Draft for writing project

The best skill that they are learning this year (so far) from Homer is the 6-sentence shuffle. They are learning sentence imitation through (1) diagramming (2) paraphrase by synonym (3) changing the grammatical form (4) condensation via subtraction (5) expanding or amplifying via addition and (6) same diagram, new idea.

This became much longer that I expected. I think I addressed all of your questions and concerns, and then some...HTH!

Have you ever taken a look at the "Just Write" series? I don't know where it falls in the classical spectrum--it probably doesn't fall anywhere, but I think that's okay. I have invested so much in different writing curriculum over the years, it was a shock to me that such a simple program worked so well with our family. It's fun, interesting, and, can I say again, simple. I supplement with writing prompts so my kids can put into practice more of what is in the (gasp) workbook. It's inexpensive, too, another plus for me.

Good luck on your search.:)

I wrote a LONG post months ago about my approach to writing. If you are interested, let me know. It is simple. Pretty much doesn't take much daily brain power. ;) And it's free. :)

Yes, I'd love to see it if you've got a link. I realized after my last post that, duh, I wouldn't (shouldn't:o) leave the writing prompts themselves to be written the morning of the assignment. So the no-brain-power argument isn't really a good one. Well, actually...:rolleyes:

I looked at ds's reading from last week & came up w/ a couple of prompts since talking to you a little bit ago. I think I'm going to have him try one out this afternoon & see how it goes.

It was posted on the old boards and I have no earthly idea how to find those anymore (are they even there?) I ended up sending it to you as an email since I typed it as a word doc. I tried to attach it, but couldn't figure out how to do that either. :( So, I pasted it in the email. If that doesn't work, let me know.

:o:o:o

Um, I've been *taught* to teach writing. I teach writing at the secondary/psec levels (well, I hope). I also (hope) I write well.

But for my dc? I don't do any of the things you listed. Ds COPIES a sentence from his sc book. I don't even ask for it to be the most important, just something he found interesting.

For hist, he does dictate the narration...mostly himself. But he gets A LOT of prodding & redirecting from me. Paragraphs!? Nope, not doing paragraphs yet. No sentence variety--although we do make sure they're complete. No pre-writing, either.

Maybe I overstated my qualifications, lol. I think the only relevant part was that I'm not SCARED of writing! (But now I'm wondering if I should be.;))

LOL - I still don't think you need a writing program. But with the baby on the way..... maybe something workbooky. Maybe like R&S. That will help you feel good about writing and grammar all in one neat little pick-up-and-don't-worry-about-it place. And it is not very expensive. And you can do part orally instead of all the writing so it wouldn't take too long. And did I say it was all in a workbook that he could work on while you were sleep-deprived - Think "Dear son, Interrogative sentences need to end with a question mark. Look at the example again while Mommy changes another sweet-smelling diaper." Not being scared of writing is a great place to start.

LOL - I still don't think you need a writing program. But with the baby on the way..... maybe something workbooky. Maybe like R&S. That will help you feel good about writing and grammar all in one neat little pick-up-and-don't-worry-about-it place. And it is not very expensive. And you can do part orally instead of all the writing so it wouldn't take too long. And did I say it was all in a workbook that he could work on while you were sleep-deprived - Think "Dear son, Interrogative sentences need to end with a question mark. Look at the example again while Mommy changes another sweet-smelling diaper." Not being scared of writing is a great place to start.

LOL--thanks Karen! Between you & momof7, I'm feeling more confident. I just wrote a prompt for ds based on last week's science, & in under 20 min, he'd done a bubble map of why he'd like to live on Pluto. He turned those ideas into sentences better than I thought he could. I think I can do this!:D

Aubrey,

I would have to agree that in the younger years, a set curriculum doesn't HAVE to be used. I LOVE writing. I never studied it in college or anything, but I grew up keeping a journal and writing stories on my own all the time. I think there are kids who are naturally this way. But, I think many kids can be fostered and encouraged to be this way.

When my kids were little, I would have them "tell" stories to me and I would write them down. When they got old enough to write themselves, I would have them write a story weekly. When my kids were in 2nd and 4th grade, I bought a kit for them to make their own book. All's you really need for lower elementary and into upper elementary are good writing prompts. You can find websites that will give these to you free.

When my kids approached 4th/5th grade, we worked on constructing essays. They started out as 3 point paragraphs and then turned into full blown 5 paragraph essays. In 6th/7th grade, I started introducing research papers.

This year, with my dd who is 10, I've had her do a short writing everyday. I will set the timer for 5 minutes, give her either a writing prompt or a topic and she gets to write whatever she wants for 5 minutes. It could be a poem, a narration, a silly story, whatever she wants. I don't correct these. These are just to encourage her TO write w/o having to worry she will be critiqued. I thought this would be hard for us to do daily, but it hasn't. It only takes 5 minutes! Kids WILL surprise you too. My dd just got finished working on a story she wrote that is now 11 pages long!

What needs to be fostered in the early years is a love for writing and creativity. The more formal writing can come later in the Logic stage. Oh, my kids are also required to keep a journal as well.

Just my two cents!

Momof7's post on writing (from old WTM boards), aka Momof7's Incremental Writing Guide:

[i had to separate it into two posts. Here's [b]part one[/b]....]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is my approach to teaching writing after using my older children as guinea pigs.:)

Before I begin, I want to clarify that I deliberated about using grade levels b/c they are so arbitrary. Some kids might not be able to do certain skills until the end of 3rd; some might be ready by the end of 1st. Base your decisions on your childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s abilities, not a number.

Pre-independent writing skills: (usually 2nd grade)

At some point after my kids are reading confidently and are ready to move beyond copying simple sentences for letter practice, I start using their copywork as a teaching tool. The key here is that the children donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to focus on sounding out words or on letter formation. If they have not mastered those 2 skills, they need to work on those before you progress. My approach is that it is expecting too much for children to learn anything from reading/writing until they no longer have to focus on the reading itself.

I begin by selecting copywork that is very basic and we focus on mechanics (capitalization, punctuation) and grammar. Then we play with the structure of the copywork. For example,

The dog ran.

I teach subject, verb, as well as capitalization and punctuation. Then we spend time coming up with parallel sentence structures and identify the parts of speech.

The baby crawled.

The cat climbed.

The pig snorted.

Once that concept is mastered, I add in another part of speech for focusĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.adjectives or adverbs, for example. (I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have any set patternĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.basically, it is whatever I am in the mood for. :))

The baby crawled quickly.

The cat climbed high.

The pig snorted loudly.

After mastery, I add other parts of speech. (I do not use the same base sentences with my kids. I am only doing that for the sake of illustrating my point. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want them to learn the parts of speech from memorization, but from context.)

The chunky baby crawled quickly. (I would not use that as an example unless they were struggling and we needed to go back for a refresher. I would actually use a unique sentenceĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..The rambunctious child twirled rapidly.)

I continue this process adding more and more parts of speech: possessives, direct objects, indirect objects, and pronouns.

JulieĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s baby wanted more food.

Henry threw the Frisbee.

Henry threw Jack the Frisbee.

He threw him the Frisbee.

I work with them to come up with about 10-15 similarly structured sentences.

We work on this for about 10-15 minutes a day until they master the concept. Some concepts they master quickly (subject + action verb). They may do it in a day or a week. Some may take longer. Just work where they are.

After they have conquered the basic parts of speech, I assign copywork from their reading, our read alouds, or some other source. We take these sentences (eventually progressing to paragraphs) and study them. I ask them to identify all the nouns, verbs, etc. Can they identify the function of the nouns? Some they will already know (subject, DO, etcĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.some they wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t: appositives, complements, obj. of prep. etc). We donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t worry about the words they havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t studied yet. We just focus on the ones they do. Gradually we start incorporating more and more complex grammar.

For example, this was my 2nd graders copywork today (from The Family Under the Bridge):

Nikki raced down the narrow streets and shouted insults at pedestrians and cars that got in his way. His own car sputtered and rattled and clanked as if it would fall apart any moment. But it didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t.

My daughter had no trouble identifying any of the parts of speech except for that and as if.

Learning them in the context of their work makes grammar, mechanics, and writing all connected and not isolated concepts that donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have intertwined applications.

Paragraphs for copywork: (usually mid 2nd grade or 3rd grade)

We start analyzing paragraph structure from copywork in the same way we began our study of grammar. We discuss what the paragraph is describing. What is the main idea? What do we learn about the main idea? From that, they learn about topic sentences and supporting details. We do this for weeks!

We play games with paragraphs. I print up logically ordered paragraphs that I have typed into individual lines and cut them apart. I mix them up and they have to unscramble the sentences and put the paragraph back together correctly. This is an enormous skill to master. It means they understand topic sentence and logical sequencing. We continue working on this until they are able to do it fairly easily. (Some paragraphs are easier than othersĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.how-tos are the easiest, descriptives are harder, etc. Gradually increase the difficulty level. The key is to let them experience success while still learning.)

After basic paragraph reconstruction is mastered, I start to add a twistĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.I will add Ă¢â‚¬Å“misfitĂ¢â‚¬ sentences into the mix. For example, if the paragraph is about a bear stealing a cake from a camperĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s picnic table, I might add a sentence like, Ă¢â‚¬Å“I love to eat cake.Ă¢â‚¬ This skill helps them learn to focus on the topic sentence and make sure the information belongs. This is an essential writing skill that is really better developed in the pre-writing skill phase. If they can identify misfit sentences in other peopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s paragraphs, it makes it easier to help them find them in their own.

Using 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th grade to focus on developing pre-writing skills enables children to move into the writing stage with the tools they need in order to progress with confidence. You wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t give a child a bunch of word problems in math to complete without giving them a foundation in basic arithmetic. Writing is similar. You shouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t expect them to start writing independently without understanding the fundamentals of how writing is structured.

Independent how-tos, re-tells, or parallel writing: (usually around 4th grade)

What type of paragraphs I start my children on is really child dependent. I have had at least one child that could not write any Ă¢â‚¬Å“re-tellsĂ¢â‚¬ in logical order. This child and I spent a considerable amount of time on how-to paragraphs. Most of my kids have been able to start with Ă¢â‚¬Å“re-telling.Ă¢â‚¬ Do whatever works.

How-to paragraphs are wonderfully non-threatening paragraphs. Every child knows how to give directions on some task, whether it is baking a cake or making their bed. Creating a list of logically ordered steps, developing a topic sentence, and using transition words are very Ă¢â‚¬Å“visualĂ¢â‚¬ or Ă¢â‚¬Å“concreteĂ¢â‚¬ in how-to paragraphs. Write a couple together. Take them apart. Study how they work. Then help them write their own. The child I described above wrote NUMEROUS how-tos. But they worked. The idea of logical sequencing started to flow into her writing.

Re-tells are another way to learn to write in a non-threatening way. Give your child a short exampleĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.a fable, a definition paragraph (like a very brief encyclopedia article), etc. Have them make a key word outline. Help them organize their ideas and create a topic sentence. Then have them re-tell the information in their own words in a paragraph. Then, using all the skills that you have learned together from pre-writing, edit/revise the paragraphĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..is there a topic sentence? Does all the information belong? Are your sentences complete thoughts? Do all your verbs stay in the same tense? Etc.

We spend months on re-tells or in parallel writing. (Parallel writing is taking a story and re-telling it in similar story lineĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..the boy who cried wolf becomes the mouse who cried cat, etc.)

We also begin studying grammar independently. Yet, we continue to study grammar in the context of their writing. We spend as much time on our revisions/edits as we did on our pre-writing skills and as on the initial writing itself. Our editing time becomes a time for studying grammar, mechanics, as well as content. From editing their own work, grammar/mechanics show their inherent value because the children see them in context.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[to be continued in next post]

[Here's part two of Momof7's Incremental Writing Guide....]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Independent writing from research: (usually around 5th-6th grades progressing to research papers in high school)

This stage begins when re-tells and parallel writing has been mastered and the child is ready to start synthesizing greater amounts of information. Because of their ages (meaning concrete vs. abstract thinkers) and the need of the child to still concentrate on the writing process itself, etc., I try to keep these assignments purely factual in nature. This is a great time to start writing research books or reports. I usually start out with research books because there is no need for a formal introductory paragraph, body, conclusion, and all the transitions that go along with them.

I let my children choose a broad topic of interest and we make a trip to the library. I look through the books before they start reading them and then I point out different topics that they might encounter in their reading. We discuss how to take notes on note cards by giving the cards a common heading for common topics, etc. We discuss which subtopics within the topic they might want to write about. I let them spend about a week reading information and making note cards. After they have collected their note cards, we sit together and organize all their information. Some topics they may have to eliminate because there simply isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t enough info. Others may need to be broken into further sub-categories because they have too much info. I do not expect them to be able to do this by themselves when they first start. Just like all the other writing skillsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.they need guidance in the beginning. This is a skill that they need to learn with your help.

After the note cards are organized, I have them write a paragraph on each sub-topic and compile them altogether in a chapter book complete with title page and table of contents. Some of my kids like art and I let them illustrate them. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make them do this if they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to. :)

This project may take a few weeks. We review each paragraph together just like we have been all along. Over the course of this year (or two yearsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.depends on how the childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s skills progress), I do expect them to start doing an initial edit/revision on their own.

After a few chapter books, most kids are able to start writing reports quite painlessly. Creating a topic paragraph really isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a big deal when you know how to write the bodyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t that all the Ă¢â‚¬Å“chaptersĂ¢â‚¬ in their books are?? Transitions are easily taught because the foundation is there and all they need to do is incorporate them. The same goes for a concluding paragraph.

Analysis: (I am not going to suggest a grade level. This is totally dependent on the development of a childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s brain and the ability to see beyond the literal.)

Once children have mastered basic report writing, essays analyzing literature, scientific processes, etc. are a logical progression. I like to start my kids on analytical essays where the analysis is easy. Writing about allegories like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe are easy analytical papers for beginners. Finding supporting ideas for Aslan representing Christ, etc. is simple. From about mid-6th grade up, I start asking them to incorporate supporting quotes and I start teaching MLS documentation.

I assign progressively more difficult types of analysis. A simple essay on an allegory is much easier for the child to develop than a comparison/contrast paper on the lives of two different political leaders. Cause and effect papers are more concrete, so for a child teetering on the edge of concrete vs. abstract thoughtĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.a cause/effect paper might be a good compromise for an assignment. (For exampleĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.how did the crash of the stock market impact world economiesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.this is more factual than having to form their own view on 2 different world leaders and then taking those opinions and comparing them to each other.)

These are ideas for the advanced late middle school student and for typical high school students. As they move toward senior status, the child should be encouraged to write papers that require multi-stages of development. Back to the examples that I have usedĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.the comparison paper is a multi-stage paper. I would not ask my 6th grader to write a paper comparing democracy to communism. It requires too much analysis for them and then you must factor in the difficulty of incorporating those ideas into a paper.

I hope you find this information helpful. I learned from my children that writing is not really that difficult to teach. The difficulty comes from expecting too much without the proper foundational instruction. Teaching writing incrementally allows children to shrug Ă¢â‚¬Å“ok, no big dealĂ¢â‚¬ when asked to complete an assignment. Just expect to actually be there as teacher.

Blessings to your endeavors,

Karen (momof7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, I hope this was the one you were referring to!

:o Yes, that is it. I re-read it last night and it flashed memories of when I wrote it. I think my dh and older boys were on a camping trip.....but I distinctly remember my then 20-something month old dd climbing all over me while I was typing!! :eek:

There are glaring omissions in that post. I was also trying to be very general in terms of what to do when. I have kids in both extremes.....a 2nd grader that started writing independent paragraphs and a 4th grader who was still mastering the fundamentals of paragraph construction from copywork. Neither place is right or wrong. It is simply who they are. :)

The biggest omission is in the approx late 3rd grade- middle school range. Once they have mastered basic skills, my kids write one major assignment per week across curricula. I pull topics typically from history or science, sometimes from lit. They vary from pretending to be a time traveler and describing a scene from history (like being in Ford Theater when Lincoln was shot) or a report on a science topic, etc. I dont force my non-fiction prefering kids to write much fiction. I tend to let them be journalists for a different stylistic element than report writing.

Their weeks follow a fairly typical pattern:

Mon--pre-writing. Brainstorming, topic sentence, outline

Tues--first 1/2 of assignment

Wed---2nd 1/2 of assignment

Thurs--revise and improve with me. We spend lots of time discussing how writing can be improved. My philosophy is that they can't actually do it unless it is well modeled and taught thoroughly. I don't do it for them, but I definitely guide them through the decision making process.

Fri---final draft.

We focus on only 1 quality piece of writing per week. My goal is on skill training and quality vs. quantity.

Starting in 7th or 8th grade, they start transitioning to more essays. Though when I sense "burn-out," we back off and do more fun type assignments. For example, my 8th grader is writing a scene from LOTR's this week from a different character's perspective.

I am happy to answer anyone's questions if they have any. :)