Menu

Please give me your honest opinion/evaluation

lovemykids

of this secular homeschool curriculum. Starline Press. It claims it is character based and independent. It is also aligned with the California PS state standards, but if you look at the scope and sequence it is very rigorous. (this is good because the schools here are advanced and it's a possibility my kids may have to return to PS-my dh may bail out)

I'm mostly looking at the English workbooks. It looks like it is set up like lifepacs or CLE units, only secular. So what do you think? I'm considering this for next year because if we are still homeschooling I may have to work (at least) part time and I want to lighten my load. Although, I will hopefully continue to study history ala WTM, (with literature and writing assignments thrown in when I can.)

Thanks for your time, and I value your opinion. If you know where I can find reviews for this curriculum please clue me in. :confused:

Thanks. :grouphug:

Edited by lovemykids

We have a lot of options like that here in Ohio, only they call them charter schools and the state pays for them. Sure it's not going to be everything you could dream up, but it's probably perfectly fine. Can you find anyone in your area using it? Do they have referrals or offer support?

Yes, well gone are the days of super dreamy, fun HS anyway. LOL. I’ve been under so much stress; it’s hard to have incredibly fun days. We do try though, and succeed maybe a few days a week. I am relishing every good day we have!

I do not live in CA, but their standards are similar to my states. LA is very time consuming in our house, sometimes I think I try to do too much. Having the older girls working on this English would help. Knowing me, I would add to it when I could, but I wouldn’t have to feel the pressure of staying on track. I could relax a little and feel like they are getting the basics.

In my state, I can also send my children to PS part time, so that may be another option.

I will call Starline Press and ask a few questions, but not having heard of them at all before seems a little strange. You’d think I’d be able to find a review on the web…

Thanks for the reply! :)

I think that they push reading too early, testing too early, and algebra too early.

We are one of only two states who do testing of second graders. Ridiculous!

Having said that, I have been using TWTM, and I would not say that we are as rigorous as 'pure WTM' and DD actually skipped a grade way back when so technically she should be going into 7th instead of 8th this year...and in our last state testing, the 7th grade tests, she scored proficient in math (which she absolutely hates, and which I would give her a 'C' in) and advanced or whatever the highest level is in language arts. She is bright but not brilliant.

The CA tests are really not that hard.

Also, have you ever visited a CA high school? Last year DD's robotics team made it to the state competition, which was held at a high school. The history projects posted on the walls for display would have embarrassed me if my DD had been just 10 when she pulled them together. They were posters, not presentation boards--not proofread, not written neatly nor yet typed, with no analytical content at all. I was aghast.

Certainly there are some very good high schools here, and it's important to be prepared properly, but I don't think that you have to give up your autonomy as a home schooler to do a good job, and I also think that if you use WTM methods you may just find yourself ahead of the game compared with canned charter school curricula. Remember, one on one tutoring is always the public school recommendation whenever a child is not doing well. Tuning your education to your specific child is really the best thing for everyone.

I think that they push reading too early, testing too early, and algebra too early.

We are one of only two states who do testing of second graders. Ridiculous!

Having said that, I have been using TWTM, and I would not say that we are as rigorous as 'pure WTM' and DD actually skipped a grade way back when so technically she should be going into 7th instead of 8th this year...and in our last state testing, the 7th grade tests, she scored proficient in math (which she absolutely hates, and which I would give her a 'C' in) and advanced or whatever the highest level is in language arts. She is bright but not brilliant.

The CA tests are really not that hard.

Also, have you ever visited a CA high school? Last year DD's robotics team made it to the state competition, which was held at a high school. The history projects posted on the walls for display would have embarrassed me if my DD had been just 10 when she pulled them together. They were posters, not presentation boards--not proofread, not written neatly nor yet typed, with no analytical content at all. I was aghast.

Certainly there are some very good high schools here, and it's important to be prepared properly, but I don't think that you have to give up your autonomy as a home schooler to do a good job, and I also think that if you use WTM methods you may just find yourself ahead of the game compared with canned charter school curricula. Remember, one on one tutoring is always the public school recommendation whenever a child is not doing well. Tuning your education to your specific child is really the best thing for everyone.

My dd's took the CAT tests and both of them scored in the 98th percentile. The tests were way too easy IMO.

I happen to totally agree with you on many of your statements, but my schedule is way too time consuming. I am not sure what to cut out if I have to go to work. I need things to be as independent as possible. I wish I had more of me to stretch out...

I don't know I thought the samples looked pretty good. :confused: They are written to the standards but also written by some homeschool moms, and different educators.

Thanks for your opinion! :)

Given that your test scores are good (and so high), why are you thinking you need that curriculum? Might not even fit your kids, if they're advanced or used to being adapted to. And LA actually gets cheaper as you go up, not more expensive. For 5th grade, you've got book reports and outlining your history spine. You could throw in the writing assignments from anything you like (Wordsmith Apprentice, R&S, BJU, Paragraph Writing Made Easy, IEW) and call it good. Whatever your oldest has been doing, the youngers could re-use.

Maybe what you really need to do is streamline how you're using your current materials? Maybe you have good scores BECAUSE you're working so hard with them? Guess I wouldn't screw up what's working. I also wouldn't work part-time just to end up paying for the less parent-intensive curriculum you need because you're working part-time. Of course I have no earning potential, so who am I to speak? But that would be me, if I tried to work. I wouldn't even earn enough to cover the new curriculum.

Well let’s see, I think that my oldest dd’s LA score is due to me working with her extensively. LOL. (ditto for my youngest dd’s math score). But I also really do feel that the CAT test is the easiest standardized test out there…. because of hearing it over and over again, and also having seen them myself.

Yes, good point, the cost is a factor to consider.

I suppose maybe I’m cutting myself short, I’m sure I do have the ability to tailor a less intensive curriculum. LOL. Oh, and this is for next year…this year/ fifth grade we are hopefully all set. We will see what the year brings…. we are using my own writing assignments from good literature, a state research report, history writing,Wordsmith, Megawords, Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter, (which may get cut, or at least only partially done..but this really helped w/ my dd’s test scores… narration was not enough for her) Winston Grammar, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Outlining, and it feels like I’m missing something…possibly starting IEW. .gasp, you see; I have a problem. But we will not do everything simultaneously. ;)

Many of these are consumable workbook type curricula, and I may or may not use the same things with my younger children. So far, my youngest dd’s curriculum has been very different than my oldest. She learns differently.

But yes, maybe I’m just feeling stress and looking for some type of panacea to relieve some of it…

:001_smile:

Actually, after taking a closer look at the tenth grade LA sample it seems a little slow....:glare: I think that looks like an eighth grade level. Not that they have to be used at grade level....

The scope and sequence sounds so good!

Thanks for any replies. I guess I wish I could keep them at home, but have someone else do the teaching while I work. ;) (ideally, I'd rather continue to be a SAHM, sigh)

I guess I wish I could keep them at home, but have someone else do the teaching while I work. ;) (ideally, I'd rather continue to be a SAHM, sigh)

Why don't you figure out something you can do to earn money from home? I am a single mother of ds and I run and in-home daycare. He gets my dedicated attention and help when the children are napping from 9-11 am and 2-4 pm. The rest of the time he works independently, helps with the kids by doing story and music time, and gets help by me amongst the chaos!! :lol:

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Why don't you figure out something you can do to earn money from home? I am a single mother of ds and I run and in-home daycare. He gets my dedicated attention and help when the children are napping from 9-11 am and 2-4 pm. The rest of the time he works independently, helps with the kids by doing story and music time, and gets help by me amongst the chaos!! :lol:

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

I have thought of this too! LOL. Chaos, yes! Can you imagine trying to HS four kids and run a daycare. :tongue_smilie:

How in the world do you get those children to nap four hours a day?

I admire what you are doing for your son. :) I'll have to PM you if my other plans don't pan out. Hopefully this is still a year away or so...who knows though.

Thanks for the reply!

I have thought of this too! LOL. Chaos, yes! Can you imagine trying to HS four kids and run a daycare. :tongue_smilie:

How in the world do you get those children to nap four hours a day?

I admire what you are doing for your son. :) I'll have to PM you if my other plans don't pan out. Hopefully this is still a year away or so...who knows though.

Thanks for the reply!

You could probably do it and be successful at it. Just keep telling yourself if Octa Mom can do it so can you!!! :tongue_smilie:

They do spend some of the time babbling to each other or crawling in circles :lol:

I'm going to PM you.

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

• 2 months later...

I, too, am looking at Starline Press and liking it, as I compare it to other workbook curric. It is a nice format, and they sent me six workbooks around the levels I was looking for, as examples, when I enquired! A few sample pages online is too little info to go on: I can't afford to order another thing, until I hold it/feel it/show my son. My ADD son, seems interested, and perhaps its because of the amount of pictures (enough, but not too many). Gorgeous and colorful is expensive and distracting....but boring....maybe this curric is the right balance. I have my science and L.A. nailed down, and probably math and history....changing history around with the amazing sale at TCC....maybe these workbooks would go with TCC? Does anyone have any experience with Starline? Please speak up....I'm not experienced enough to be confident without doing lots of research at forums with thoughtful folks who share their knowlege (and thanking you all warmly)....

Many thanks,

LBS

Edited by LBS

• 1 year later...