Menu

What is heavy cream?

We just bought an ice cream maker and trying it for the first time. The recipe called for heavy cream. Our store had whipping cream and coffee blend which was 18% mf and the highest next to the whipping cream.

The ice cream is not getting thick. Should I have bought whipping cream? Can I save it and do something with it? Maybe I didn't freeze the bowl long enough? (We put it in the freezer for about 5 hours)

We just bought an ice cream maker and trying it for the first time. The recipe called for heavy cream. Our store had whipping cream and coffee blend which was 18% mf and the highest next to the whipping cream.

The ice cream is not getting thick. Should I have bought whipping cream? Can I save it and do something with it? Maybe I didn't freeze the bowl long enough? (We put it in the freezer for about 5 hours)

But I have made ice cream with lower fat milks and it still thickened so that probably isn't the problem.

I just tried throughing some xanthan gum into the mix as I see it in some of the non dairy ice cream recipes. But I don't see much difference yet. I'm going to try throughing the mix into a containor and putting it in the freezer. I bet we didn't leave the dish long enough in the freezer. The kids were too excited to wait much longer :tongue_smilie:

Rose in BC do you have a specific recipe using low fat milk or do you add anything different? I see some recipes use gelatin and some use xanthan gum as a thickener.

I just tried throughing some xanthan gum into the mix as I see it in some of the non dairy ice cream recipes. But I don't see much difference yet. I'm going to try throughing the mix into a containor and putting it in the freezer. I bet we didn't leave the dish long enough in the freezer. The kids were too excited to wait much longer :tongue_smilie:

Rose in BC do you have a specific recipe using low fat milk or do you add anything different? I see some recipes use gelatin and some use xanthan gum as a thickener.

I'm on my way out for a few hours. Let me think about it for a bit (I haven't made homemade ice cream for a number of years after our ice cream maker bit the bullet and we've never replaced it.) It might have been that we used fruit juice base for sherbet rather than low fat dairy.

I'll reply later when we return.

I could be wrong but I am fairly certain that they are basically the same but whipping cream has less lactose in it than heavy cream (lower sugar content on the label). This can be important to someone who is lactose intolerant. Heavy cream may be closer to 35- 37% fat and whipping cream closer to 30-35%. Heavy cream is a little harder to whip, but remains stable longer.

At our local stores, the heavy cream = whipping cream which is 35% m.f.

Good luck! We love making homemade ice cream.

I freeze my bowl in a -10F freezer for the full 24 hours called for in the manual and make sorbet (so, no cream at all). I've tried making a second batch after a few hours, no luck. I think you just didn't chill it long enough. Just pour the mixture into a container and let it cure in the fridge overnight while the bowl freezes all the way.