Menu

Gosh that was easy

Madelynn had her frenulum clipped this morning.

I was prepared because I've read up on it plenty and watched a youtube video of it being done. The video shows the baby crying, getting it clipped, and then nursing fine afterwards; it's 5 minutes long. Most of that 5 minutes was the doctor explaining the procedure while the baby cried from being swaddled and fussed with.

So, we go in to the ENT and he's trying to explain it to me, but I already know everything. He commented that I knew more than he. LOL

So, he had me hold her in a cradle hold. I swaddled her first because she likes her hands up near her mouth and didn't want her getting them in the way and causing him to slip or something. He needed her to cry so he could get access to her tongue, but she had cried herself to sleep on the way there and then passed out in the waiting room with a pacifier. (The LC suggested I take her there hungry so she'd nurse right after, which is why she was crying and given a pacifier.) Well, she didn't want to wake up and cry. She barely cried enough for him to get to it and didn't cry any more after he clipped it. He did two tiny clips. It bled a few drops of blood and stopped bleeding right away.

Afterwards, she nursed maybe half a minute before going back to sleep. I think the only trauma was the fact that we bugged her and woke her up.

That's great!

I hope the marathon nursing sessions ease up a bit now too!

That would certainly make it easier to get ready for school...which we must begin a week from Monday.

Now I'm just wondering how long before my right side isn't hurting anymore. I found that a spot just under my n*pple is VERY tender, rather than the n*ipple itself. There's nothing to see on the skin...maybe bruising from being gummed? Not sure but hope it goes away soon as it's painful to touch gently, let alone nurse on.

It's been two days since Madelynn's frenectomy and I can say with confidence that her tongue-tie was interfering with breastfeeding. No more sore nipples. In fact, my sore nipple has now been replaced with a sore breast as my supply on her preferred side has increased dramatically in only two days. So, now I'm just a bit engorged and am working on getting the supply back to a reasonable level. I thought it was weird that I wasn't having my normal oversupply issues; the LC thought it was Madelynn's tongue-tie not stimulating my production as much. Guess she was right.

Oh, and she's not nursing as often or as long now, especially during the day. Night was never a problem (10pm, 2am, 4am, 7am) but she is now nursing even less overnight (10pm, 2am, 7am).