Menu

Sure could use some help thinking through this science stuff....:(

DS is starting 11th this year and is just not a science guy. Loves poetry, song writing, piano; He is an artiste', you know. :) He has struggled through biology and I am trying to figure out what to do with him now that he is finally finishing it up. If I even mention chemistry I can picture both of us rolling around on the floor wrestling over it. I don't want to go there! :D

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to take him with his science from here? He is finishing up geometry. He really wants to pursue music, maybe some language studies. I just don't know where to take him with his science without blowing both of our minds!

Does anyone have ANY suggestions???

Thanks from a non science mom!:tongue_smilie:

The Anatomy and Marine Biology courses are Apologia, and they are acceptable to colleges. The requirement usually is Biology and two other sciences that require Biology as a prerequisite. So you can do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Biology, Marine Biology, Anatomy, or any combination. We also did BJU Earth & Space Science (8th grade text), but you need to check to see if the college will accept it. Most will if you can prove that you did high school level labs with it.

I would recommend starting with an overview at a logic-stage level--like Real Science 4 Kids along with Exploring the World of Chemistry. Although those together would not constitute a high school level class, they would be a good way to introduce the basic framework of chemistry without being too difficult, and would 'grease the skids' for getting into formal high school chemistry.

I agree on skipping Chemistry. Since he's not going into a math/science field, do one of the more "fun" sciences such as Marine or Astronomy. It fills the credit, won't kill his interest & he will learn useful info. :) JMO, of course.

Our daughter is also interested in the arts and disliked science. She chose Apologia's Marine Biology for her last science. She did not care for other Apologia books at all, but she thoroughly enjoyed the Marine Biology. It actually was her favorite subject her senior year, surprised even her. I did not make her do the tests because we felt them to be unnecessarily nit-picky. She did the study guide and used it as though she were studying for a test.

HTH

Cindy

No, there is no science at all on the SAT. You are probably thinking of the SAT2 which most schools don't require and none specifically require chemistry. They may require a science one but they don't specify which one. The ACT also doesn't require chemistry although it does have a science section. It's science section is more like reading science section. No specific knowledge of any particular science is needed but familiarity with lab procedures and lab report writing is supposedly helpful.

I looked up RS4K Chemistry II. I also found the blog that the author had written about what it covered and she said it didn't cover everything for high school but it covered a lot of things they would need. I also checked into the university my son is interested in attending and they require 2 years science. I think it would be good for him to be exposed to some chemistry principles, but beyond that we may hit Marine Biology or the Astronomy for his 2nd science. He will most likely even be up for Physics by his senior year. So for now I think that is the track we will probably pursue. Thanks for the input and help in getting the juices flowing in my poor brain!:lol:

How about design your own science course of books, labs, co-op, online class and other options to fit around your students interests:

- organic gardening / botany

- rock hounding / geology

- 4-H / milk goats, pets, horses, etc. / zoology

- agricultural sciences

- plant hybrid development / genetics

- forensics / anatomy

- first aid / CPR / emergency medicine / biology

- assist insect, bird, wildlife capture, tagging, research, etc / zoology

- computer, robotics, tech / physics

- flight, rocketry, model planes / physics

- nutrition / chemistry

Homeschool Diner: Science Options for Homeschoolers:

http://www.homeschooldiner.com/subjects/science/main.html

Consider interning, apprenticing, creating your own course by counting hours; here are books with those suggestions, or trigger some ideas with "out of the box" ideas for high school science:

- The High School Handbook: For Junior High, Too by Mary Schofield

- Homeschooling, the teen years: your complete guide to successfully homeschooling the 13- to 18-year old by Cafi Cohen.*

- The teenagers' guide to school outside the box by Rebecca Greene

- The teenage liberation handbook: how to quit school and get a real life and education by Grace Llewellyn*

I also checked into the university my son is interested in attending and they require 2 years science. I think it would be good for him to be exposed to some chemistry principles, but beyond that we may hit Marine Biology or the Astronomy for his 2nd science.

I would also recommend checking whether those two years of science must be LAB sciences, and what the admissions office considers acceptable proof that a course fulfils that requirement. I have been hearing really odd things about that issue locally--rumors only, but disturbing ones--colleges disqualifying lab reports unless there is a photo of actual apparatus (because I guess some high school curricula use videos of experiments, and some colleges don't consider that adequate to fulfil the lab science requirement.) Again, these are only rumors; I have yet to meet anyone personally who has run up against this. But it's worth checking on before you finalize your plans.

"Conceptual" science courses take out the math and put it more "comprehension" activities. I know people have used Conceptual Physics, but am not familiar with any of the Conceptual Chemistry books I googled.

Jean

Edit: I found a link--these folks may be able to talk about the book.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117810