Menu

Anyone used this text for Music Appreciation?

I bought it this year for oldest dd to use for her music credit required for jr. high.. I acquired it through Oak Meadow where they schedule it as part of a 2 semester course for high school. The price of the course was expensive but it was because of the cost of the book and the cd set. They also have their own syllabus which is inexpensive and suggests scheduling and assignments but does not give the answers. Oldest dd will be doing it the second half of the year so she hasn't started it yet. I've read a couple of chapters and followed along with the syllabus. I like the course and the book but I'm not sure if dd will. (She's at that difficult to please stage. ) If it works out for her I will have her do the second semester for high school credit next year.

I considered using a Teaching Company lecture series but felt that something with a book and syllabus would require her to write and think a bit more than just listening would. She really has no concept of just what a "real" high school level class is like. She was in tears the first day she did her spanish and realized that she couldn't get the day's assignment done in 10-15 minutes and that she would have to take notes and study them.

I bought it this year for oldest dd to use for her music credit required for jr. high.. I acquired it through Oak Meadow where they schedule it as part of a 2 semester course for high school. The price of the course was expensive but it was because of the cost of the book and the cd set. They also have their own syllabus which is inexpensive and suggests scheduling and assignments but does not give the answers. Oldest dd will be doing it the second half of the year so she hasn't started it yet. I've read a couple of chapters and followed along with the syllabus. I like the course and the book but I'm not sure if dd will. (She's at that difficult to please stage. ) If it works out for her I will have her do the second semester for high school credit next year.

I considered using a Teaching Company lecture series but felt that something with a book and syllabus would require her to write and think a bit more than just listening would. She really has no concept of just what a "real" high school level class is like. She was in tears the first day she did her spanish and realized that she couldn't get the day's assignment done in 10-15 minutes and that she would have to take notes and study them.

Interesting. I own the set, but haven't used it. My son is interested in studying music, especially vocal performance and / or choral conducting. We decided on the TC lecture series, because I feel that the music itself is the most important aspect of learning about music. (I am biased that way. I think it's silly to study the lives of conductors, for instance, which is common in the early grades, but not listen to their music.)

But you make a good point. It is harder for me to extract "output" from my son when we use TC lectures. I will think about ways we can use the book for some writing assignments.

BTW, I was able to get a free copy, Heather, and if you would like to borrow it, please PM me.

I have it. One of my step dd used it in college and really enjoyed the course. My dd16 is going to use it this year for a .5 credit of fine arts. I plan on having her read the book and listen to music selections as indicated in each chapter. I'll probably assign a few 2 page "reports" on a few composers/topics so I'll have something to grade.

My copy is an older edition and you can probably get an older edition for less used on Amazon.

I've ordered it and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. We're using TOG yr 2, but we will do the music course on our own schedule, to be finished in 1 year. There is a LOT of music on the cd collection, so I think that will be great. Have you seen the online supplemental stuff? Start here and then pick which part you want activities for on the left.

Dd is looking for a music appreciation course for next year, and TOG recommends Kamien's Music: An Appreciation. It's pricey, though, and I'd like to hear if anyone has used it and enjoyed it.

(I know, I know - I could teach her music app, being dh and I are music majors and all - but - well - you know how that is. Not enough hours in my day.)

I used Kamien for my music appreciation course in college. I liked it and felt it was thorough. It is what my Dd is going to use for her music appreciation course.

We found our copy of the Kamien at a used bookstore for around $25. A used set will do as well as a new. You may even decide on a Norton intro class, if you find that. My husband and I are music majors also, and what we liked about the course is that it covers the whole history of western music and the excepts are on the the cd...no searching the library for examples. I also used a similar program with a general music middle school class I taught for a private school.