Menu

GA/AL mountains

We live in central FL and have done some camping here, but we are wanting to go to the mountains (or at least foothills). Any recommendations for camping in GA or AL that includes some hiking?

Thanks

We live in central Florida as well and decided to go camping this October in NC at Grandfather mountain. It has all kinds of nature trails and animal exhibits that will go great with the Biology we are studying this year. Plus, as you know, sense it will still be in the 80's (or 90's!) here in October, the nice fall conditions will be an added treat for us.

We just got back from a vacation in Georgia. I am in NE FLorida. We went to the Ellijay, GA area. It was about a 7 hour drive for us. It's about 1 1/2 hours north of Atlanta.

It was a beautiful area. Not sure about camping, as we did a cabin. We hiked the beginning of the Applachain Trail, which is at some falls (forget the name). Fished and swam in Lake Carter with NO fear of gators :)!!!

Went up to TN (about 30 minute drive) to go white water rafting (slower rapids, so they would take younger children).

Have to let ya know, that was over the July 4th weekend, and it the weather was cool temps. In the evening, it was probably 60's or less. Days were in the high 80's. LOVED IT!!! But I think any cooler, like fall temps, and my Florida blood would have been too cold :).

We can't wait to go again!

hth

K

We've camped at Unicoi State Park near Helen, GA, and it's really nice. Lots of hiking in the park and in other areas nearby. They even have a trail that goes to the town of Helen, so you could hike over and see the sights there if you're so inclined.

We just got back from a vacation in Georgia. I am in NE FLorida. We went to the Ellijay, GA area. It was about a 7 hour drive for us. It's about 1 1/2 hours north of Atlanta.

It was a beautiful area. Not sure about camping, as we did a cabin. We hiked the beginning of the Applachain Trail, which is at some falls (forget the name). Fished and swam in Lake Carter with NO fear of gators :)!!!

Went up to TN (about 30 minute drive) to go white water rafting (slower rapids, so they would take younger children).

Have to let ya know, that was over the July 4th weekend, and it the weather was cool temps. In the evening, it was probably 60's or less. Days were in the high 80's. LOVED IT!!! But I think any cooler, like fall temps, and my Florida blood would have been too cold :).

We can't wait to go again!

hth

K

Now you're gettin' close to home! These areas are not far from my home in Western North Carolina. We fell in love with the region after camplng in Helen, Ga about 20 years ago. Most anywhere in this region is beautiful. The Appalachian Trail cuts through the woods near my home. When planning a trip take note of the elevation. The higher the elevation, the cooler the temp. We've had a cool, wet summer this year. Nights have dipped into the 50's and a few days were in the upper 60's. I'm not complaining. My tomatoes are aren't happy though.

Geo

Edited by Geo

Guntersville State Park has hiking trails, a lakeside beach, camping grounds and lots of fun stuff. We live in Guntersville and it is beautiful. Mountains, water, beautiful scenery, but still close enough to Huntsville that if you want to go shopping or visit the Space and Rocket Center or Botanical Gardens you could.