Menu

Question for knitters

How long have you been knitting? (I mean, when did you learn, and have you kept at it?) Tension evens out once you knit for a while and get a rhythm going. Maybe it's muscle memory, I don't know, but my first projects (scarves, of course!) are kind of all over the place as far as tension goes.

Do you knit continental, holding the working yarn in your left hand, or English, "throwing" the working yarn around the needle with the right hand? I knit "English" so if you knit Continental, I wouldn't be able to tell what to do to fix it. If you haven't already done so, check out this site: http://www.knittinghelp.com/ You might find some helpful info/videos that could help. Also, there are a TON of knitting how-to videos on youtube, believe it or not!

HOWEVER, I want to encourage you to keep at it! I find knitting so relaxing, and I just adore working with fiber. Are you on Ravelry? It's an amazing knitting community, and there's even a WTM group there!

Best of luck to you!

Astrid

What is a bit? I felt this way the first year I knitted, now I'm wishing I can remember some of that for some bulky, rustic, natural projects. Are you an English or Continental knitter? I would try wrapping or unwrapping your yarn around different fingers. I know I adjust my tension depending on the type of yarn I'm using as well; more for 2 ply sport weight and less for say a fat 1 ply worsted wool. Have you tried doing just as you are doing with different yarns on different size needles to get the result you like, of course that's not great if you are following a pattern. Most often I'll adjust a pattern depending on how my swatch turns out for a particular yarn I'm using. Most of all just have fun.

Are you on Ravelry? It's an amazing knitting community, and there's even a WTM group there!

Best of luck to you!

Astrid

Way cool Astrid, I've never heard about it. Heading there now...

Don't you just love how our ears just perk when we read/hear "knitting". :tongue_smilie:

...and realized that I do a lot of little things that I have never thought about. They just grew on me as habits, and they are very helpful. One that effects tension and prevents dropped stitches is that I tend to lightly put the front finger of my left hand on the stitches that are to remain on the left needle while I'm popping off the front stitch. This holds those stitches on the needle, and also reduces the need for quick, jerky motion in dropping the other stitch off.

I do knit continental, and I think that that is helpful as I get a real rhythm going, which makes tension more consistent.

I seem to remember Elizabeth Zimmermann writing about how stitches do even themselves out a bit over time, with repeated washings. I suspect that that may be the case.

What I know of Ravelry is that there's a big argument going on about calling other people mommy! lol I don't think I want another list.

I have a knitting group, but they are too nice. They help a lot, but the master knitter is too kind.

A bit means, a couple of years. I've done hats, scarves (more than just garter stitch) , a baby sweater (simple) a baby blanket with my dds, a pair of baby socks that are not very good and some other little things. :tongue_smilie: I have blocked items and I know that helps tons.

I am currently working on a simple jacket for one of dds. This is where my inconsistent tension shows most. I keep telling myself it will look much better when I block it. I am not yet to the point I find it relaxing. lol Well, I guess I do, in a way. but I frog a lot. A lot. A way lot. ;0

I knit in the English style, and I don't think I can learn a new way. I have dyslexic tendencies , and oh gosh, it took a while just to get here.

This is not natural to me at all. Knitting is very math-y and I think actuaries & rocket scientists would make the best knitters. I mean that.

...and realized that I do a lot of little things that I have never thought about. They just grew on me as habits, and they are very helpful. One that effects tension and prevents dropped stitches is that I tend to lightly put the front finger of my left hand on the stitches that are to remain on the left needle while I'm popping off the front stitch. This holds those stitches on the needle, and also reduces the need for quick, jerky motion in dropping the other stitch off.

I do knit continental, and I think that that is helpful as I get a real rhythm going, which makes tension more consistent.

I seem to remember Elizabeth Zimmermann writing about how stitches do even themselves out a bit over time, with repeated washings. I suspect that that may be the case.

I love Elizabeth Zimmerman! Ah, those old photogrpahs alone make me swoon.

What I know of Ravelry is that there's a big argument going on about calling other people mommy!

I have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm on Ravelry every day! :001_smile:

I knit in the English style, and I don't think I can learn a new way. I have dyslexic tendencies , and oh gosh, it took a while just to get here.

This is not natural to me at all. Knitting is very math-y and I think actuaries & rocket scientists would make the best knitters. I mean that

If it makes you feel any better, I'm an English teacher. Hate math.

Keep at it--- you'll get it!

:grouphug:Astrid

All I can really recommend is to be sure you always hold your yarn in the same way throughout a project, and keep practicing! My tension was wonky the first few years, but now I knit like a machine.

I love your blog! Your dd looks like an absolutely natural dancer. I'm sure she works hard, but wow, it's all there! She's all that. lol

I have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm on Ravelry every day! :001_smile:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm an English teacher. Hate math.

Keep at it--- you'll get it!

:grouphug:Astrid

That's good to know! I have two projects I am working on. When one starts to make me cry, I work on the other. lol

As for the mommy chatter, that's just what I heard. :bigear: Maybe I'm getting my knitting sites confuzzled. ;)

This is not natural to me at all. Knitting is very math-y and I think actuaries & rocket scientists would make the best knitters. I mean that.

That's the way I knit most of the time too, and I hate math. So there is hope, I promise!

I love your blog! Your dd looks like an absolutely natural dancer. I'm sure she works hard, but wow, it's all there! She's all that. lol

Thank you so much! That's very sweet of you to say. :001_smile:

So it's not that you're having trouble with gauge...sometimes it's tighter, sometimes it's looser?

Yes. The gauge is what it is. ;) I started a new swatch and I am being more conscious of when I pull etc. I think my new swatch (just a practice one) looks more consistent. I can't knit and talk, and that's the problem with knitting group. lol

Btw, your UU copybook...I'm interested in checking it out!

I'm on Ravelry, and just adore it! I have received so much help and inspiration. I'm more into crochet, but do knit (continental...easier for a crocheter) occasionally. Badly. :)

If you haven't tried continental, you might want to. I was having a lot of trouble with my tension, too (my stitches were WAY TOO TIGHT!!) and I decided to teach myself continental. Much easier for me to control the tension. Here's a good demo

up on YouTube.

Yes. The gauge is what it is. ;) I started a new swatch and I am being more conscious of when I pull etc. I think my new swatch (just a practice one) looks more consistent. I can't knit and talk, and that's the problem with knitting group. lol

Btw, your UU copybook...I'm interested in checking it out!

I am behind on sending these out. Laurie, did I get you yet? I've had more than 40 requests! Anyway, workin' on it. /OT

AFA gauge, I find I frequently have to go up or down a needle size to hit the gauge the pattern requires.

I am behind on sending these out. Laurie, did I get you yet? I've had more than 40 requests! Anyway, workin' on it. /OT

Me, too! Me, too!

Ok, on hte knitting... are we talking about (American) gauge (British/Aussie/Canadian "tension"), as in your 4 x 4 square does not have the appropriate number of stitches per inch? Or are we talking about the stitches themselves being of varying sizes? I'm so confused.

What I know of Ravelry is that there's a big argument going on about calling other people mommy! lol I don't think I want another list.

I enjoy the sharing of projects and finding out what's new on ravelry and ignore the controversial discussions.

I am currently working on a simple jacket for one of dds. This is where my inconsistent tension shows most. I keep telling myself it will look much better when I block it. I am not yet to the point I find it relaxing. lol Well, I guess I do, in a way. but I frog a lot. A lot. A way lot. ;0

What stitch pattern is the jacket you are making? Some knitters have different tension when they purl than they do when they knit.

Join the frogging crowd! It's part of knitting. I've been knitting recently for about seven years, about 6-7 projects/year and just today I frogged the top of a sleeve because I needed a couple more rows to make it fit.

And, yes, knitting does involve math, but you can do it. I highly recommend Elizabeth Zimmermann's books, especially Knitting Without Tears.

HOWEVER, I want to encourage you to keep at it! I find knitting so relaxing, and I just adore working with fiber. Are you on Ravelry? It's an amazing knitting community, and there's even a WTM group there!

I agree wholeheartedly! My knitting looks so much better now than it did a few years ago.

And thanks for the mentioning the WTM mind group on ravelry. I'm going over there now!