Menu

"A skirt that spins" for a 5 year old girl...

Try Ebay. There are a lot of boutique sellers who make twirl skirts. With the economy so slow I know that a lot of very nice things go for a lot less than they did a year ago. Just search "twirl skirt boutique" in the Ebay search box.

Good idea. I'll look there later. Thanks.

Jo

I have a little girl who loves twirly skirts, too. ;)

Try searching for "circle skirts." These are skirts that are full enough to actually spread out into a circle. If you sew there are some simple free online patterns for this type of skirt. Here's one I found.

I've seen a number of tiered skirts lately and those tend to be very full for a nice twirl...I think Hanna Andersson has tiered ones, and also Land's End, perhaps CWD kids.

Happy twirling!

Why don't you make one? I made a very full skirt for my dd when she was little, and put extra fabric on the hem (pieced like a quilt), and it would practically stand straight out when she spun! She loved it. You can just put an elastic waist if waistbands aren't your thing.

I looked at these. They are beautiful.

As much as I would love to support a homeschooling mom, $46 for a skirt seems excessive. Maybe I should ask the grandparents to take a look. ;)

Wow, those are nice. As the daughter of a seamstress, that looks like a good deal for that price. The time to make ruffles and all those details is quite a lot, not to mention it looks like lots of good quality fabric is involved.

Why don't you make one? I made a very full skirt for my dd when she was little, and put extra fabric on the hem (pieced like a quilt), and it would practically stand straight out when she spun! She loved it. You can just put an elastic waist if waistbands aren't your thing.

I would love to learn. I use my sewing machine fairly frequently, but not making clothes. One of these days I'll make something that doesn't have right angles.

I'm in the process of moving in a couple of weeks, husband is deployed, and this girl has a birthday coming up. It just isn't going to happen.

Maybe I'll save this gift for Christmas. We'll see what I find. Thanks.

Jo

Wow, those are nice. As the daughter of a seamstress, that looks like a good deal for that price. The time to make ruffles and all those details is quite a lot, not to mention it looks like lots of good quality fabric is involved.

That is good to know. With the 20% coupon, it just might enter the do-able category. :D

for my 'twirly-girly' on ebay -- I have great success with 'jottum,' 'oilily,' and 'tickityboo.' They are all pricey, so if I can find something that was worn once, it is usually coming to live at our house! 'Tickityboo,' imparticular, has the most imaginative and different clothes.

I looked at these. They are beautiful.

As much as I would love to support a homeschooling mom, $46 for a skirt seems excessive. Maybe I should ask the grandparents to take a look. ;)

She is having a 20% off sale now .. that helps a bit. I buy skirts to wear for a couple of years.. get mileage out of it. I can't buy many but considered one for a Birthday gift (very special). I can't find nice dresses often but do watch thrift stores. Things start to get so slutty after about size 5/6... sadly.

When you get ready to start sewing again, http://houseonhillroad.typepad.com/photos/twirly_skirt/ I made this one for my dd for xmas last year. It turned out really well, and was very easy to make. One thing I discovered needs to be considered when making these skirts is, you need to allow a little extra length in the back to the boody or it will hang a little too short in back.

She's outgrown it now, so I'll make her a new one this year. I think I may also add a tulle underskirt to it, make it a little extra fun.

A basic circle skirt is insanely easy to make and will spin like a top. :) You can probably even google a pattern, then go buy a fancy sheet, drapes or old prom dress at Goodwill for the fabric.

BTW, when I say it's insanely easy, that's exactly what I mean. A circle skirt was the third thing I ever made when I learned to sew; the first two things were a pillow and a tote bag.

Edited by skaterbabs

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I don't know how spinny some of these are, but I like the skirts from marie-madeline studio, linked here on Etsy.

Ooooh, thanks!! These are perfect for my twirler!