Menu

Homeschool name? (cross post from general board)

momtolgd

I'm going to post this here also, hoping for more thoughts! :001_smile:

Brainstorming a bit here...we really need a good strong homeschool name and slogan...can you help?

I'd like it to represent building a strong foundation, or continually learning and growing? Maybe using words like cornerstone, fortress, evergreen (I kind of like this word because we have evergreen trees in our back yard)?

Do you prefer the word Academy at the end or some other word?

What wording sounds good using the word Evergreen? Evergreen Academy? Evergreen Classical Academy? (although not sure how that fits since we also incorporate CM ideas as well?)

Any thoughts from all of you creative people? :bigear:

I think "academy" is overdone, so I don't like to use it.

Off the top of my head:

Evergreen Classical School

Evergreen Preparatory School

Evergreen Classical Institute

What about a motto like "Strong roots, sturdy branches" or "Our roots are deep, we reach for the sky?"

I'd like it to represent building a strong foundation, or continually learning and growing?

Do you prefer the word Academy at the end or some other word?

Evergreen Classical Academy? (although not sure how that fits since we also incorporate CM ideas as well?)

I had thoughts along the same lines as yours, so we just went with "Foundations Academy". Our colors are red, blue and yellow (because those are the primary colors or we could say the "foundation" for all other colors) Our mascot is a penguin - no real thought on that one, I let the kids choose :)

We don't really have a formal slogan yet - I thought I'd wait until both kids could understand and help me with that - right now all they care about are the colors, mascot and name.

I also agree Academy is totally overdone...BUT, we couldn't use "classical" or "christian" because we aren't overtly either of those styles and my brain would not allow me to commit to those.

Our school name is Christ's Kids Academy or CKA. Part of why I liked this name was that I figured we could find shirts, sweatshirts, etc. from Calvin Klein with a CK on them and they could be our school shirts. Of course, I ended up buying sweatshirts and polos from Lands End and never had anything which said CK or CKA. My kids did like having a name for their school, though, to use when people asked, "So, where do you go to school?"

Julie

We chose Excelsior Preparatory School, our motto is, alternately, "reaching higher" or "ever upwards." Our colors are navy and silver (like stars in the sky) - I even drew a picture of a hand reaching for a shooting star to decorate our schoolroom (too bad I think it's terrible and refused to put it up! :blush: Maybe in a few years after Ariel has had some art lessons she can do better.:laugh:)

Didn't Charlotte Mason live at a place called Ambleside? You might consider something like Ambleside Classical School.

Schola Caerdroia

Or, if I feel that people will be thrown by "Schola" (it happens), I'll use Caerdroia Classical Academy.

"Caerdroia" is a Welsh name for a particular form of an ancient labyrinth. The name means "The fortress of Troy." It represents our Celtic heritage and our classical interests.

I tried to come up with something dignified when we first started and nothing suited me. I gave up and when Homeschool Tracker asked for a school name I just entered Working Title Dayschool. Since then my husband has made a logo with the name for our computer's wallpaper and my dd writes it on the front of her workbooks. For our logo he found a piece of clipart that has a tree with it's roots in a book.

In North Carolina, we are required to name our school when we file with the state. We are Holy Family Classical Academy. We have a logo and everything! It's fun to print stuff out or have t-shirts with our school name & logo on it.

We actually attend Holy Family Catholic Church, so many think that's why we chose the name. But it had nothing to do with it. We just picked something that we could relate to and are inspired by (coming up with a name took a few months for us!).

Liz in NC

The kids and I voted last year when we decided to name our school; I lost the vote, LOL. Now I can't even remember what name I was hoping for (maybe something with Logos in it, or something from a book we were reading?), but Evergreen Academy won. My sons' reasons: green is a symbol of life, evergreens are eternally green (symbolizing the eternal nature of our faith), we have lots of them in our yard, we like nature study. I did like the CM nature of it too. :)

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

This has been a fun read.

We picked ours the first day of class and it's not exactly original:

Ora et Labora (but we didn't put anything behind it). Maybe it should be Ora et Labora Prep. DD did design a logo w/beads.

I love the idea of getting T-shirts/polos. I wonder how much the embroidering would be.

Laura