Menu

Headed to San Diego...

So we're cashing in our Hilton Honors points and going to San Diego for a spur of the moment weeklong trip. Besides the obvious zoo trip, what is not to miss? All the dependents will be with me, but oldest dd is staying behind to work. Rich also cannot take time off. We have been trying to work out vacation time all summer but there is always something...so I decided to just grab the kids and get out of Dodge.

So, we'll have a vehicle, but keep in mind we have multiple age groups including a fussy-butt 10 month old. We will do Legoland one day and the zoo one day. What else?

Barb :auto:

Old Town...nice shopping, good food

Sea World!!!!

Wild Animal Park

I suppose Legoland for younger kids

Balboa Park because they have lots of museums there. Best go on a Tuesday, one of the museums will be free.

Sea Port Village and the Harbor. You can get on a tour of an aircraft carrier and there is a ship that is actually an Indian restaurant. I think it is called the Star of India.

Mission Beach because it is the beach or you can get on to Fiesta Island for fishing and picnics.

Excellent! Thank you...just the sort of answer I was looking for. Thanks, LG. Anyone else in the area?

Barb

Old Town...nice shopping, good food

Sea World!!!!

Wild Animal Park

I suppose Legoland for younger kids

Balboa Park because they have lots of museums there. Best go on a Tuesday, one of the museums will be free.

Sea Port Village and the Harbor. You can get on a tour of an aircraft carrier and there is a ship that is actually an Indian restaurant. I think it is called the Star of India.

Mission Beach because it is the beach or you can get on to Fiesta Island for fishing and picnics.

So we're cashing in our Hilton Honors points and going to San Diego for a spur of the moment weeklong trip. Besides the obvious zoo trip, what is not to miss? All the dependents will be with me, but oldest dd is staying behind to work. Rich also cannot take time off. We have been trying to work out vacation time all summer but there is always something...so I decided to just grab the kids and get out of Dodge.

So, we'll have a vehicle, but keep in mind we have multiple age groups including a fussy-butt 10 month old. We will do Legoland one day and the zoo one day. What else?

Barb :auto:

We were there the last week of June. We found Legoland to be a very family-friendly place - much better than, say, 6 Flags. We all LOVED the cities made out of legos.

The zoo was, well, tired... I had been 25 years ago and liked it much better then. We spent two days on the beach (we saw seals!) and visited the USS Midway, which everybody liked much better than expected - the docents are fabulous.

The zoo was, well, tired... I had been 25 years ago and liked it much better then. We spent two days on the beach (we saw seals!) and visited the USS Midway, which everybody liked much better than expected - the docents are fabulous.

I'm excited to hear that about the Midway. We stayed at the Embassy Suites right across the street a couple of years ago when we went to Sea World. We didn't check out the Midway but we'll be sure to do it this time around. A little disappointed about the zoo, but maybe you've given me a chance to do something else. I'm not a big zoo person anyway. I always *think* I like a zoo, but with only one or two exceptions I find them hot, boring, and expensive. Maybe we will skip it. Did you do the Wild Animal park?

Barb

I'm excited to hear that about the Midway. We stayed at the Embassy Suites right across the street a couple of years ago when we went to Sea World. We didn't check out the Midway but we'll be sure to do it this time around. A little disappointed about the zoo, but maybe you've given me a chance to do something else. I'm not a big zoo person anyway. I always *think* I like a zoo, but with only one or two exceptions I find them hot, boring, and expensive. Maybe we will skip it. Did you do the Wild Animal park?

Barb

Nope - it was hot enough on the coast, and we heard it was about 10 degrees hotter inland at the Wild Animal Park. If we wanted hot, we could have stayed in TX! :tongue_smilie:

The Zoo is easier to maneuver than the WAP, I think.

We like:

San Diego Zoo

Balboa Park

Mission Beach

Sea World (twice)

La Jolla Shores Cove

Old Town

Disney Land

The Grove in LA

Le Brea Tar Pits/Museum

Hanging at hotel pool

Edited by LibraryLover

We love Coronado .... lunch, walking around, check out the beautiful hotel... and if you are lucky...some Navy SEALS running down the beach --- ;)

Also, someone help me out...there is a lighthouse that you can tour right there close to the city.. ugggh! can't remember the name!!!

Have fun!!! I have many fond memories of San Diego!!!

Hi all - we lived there for 20 years - FYI, the Star of India is one of the oldest, historical ships around and no, there is no restaurant aboard! We love the beach on the strand, near the Hotel Del, cause you not only get a great view, free parking, but not many come there and you get the bonus of having military aircraft flying low overhead, to land nearby. Kinda exciting.

Balboa Park has free Tuesdays - check and see what Tuesdays. A nice area for a walk and it does have some art museums free. Love the zoo, always have. The tidepools at the end of Point Loma are fun and free. Eat at any Robertos/Alibertos/Roybertos type taco stand. Good food for a good price. We also love Miguels Mexican food at Shelter Island. And in La Jolla, hanging out on the coast is fun, you can walk, see the seals and eat at the Mandarin House. Sea World is pricey but fun. I never heard raves about Legoland, I admit. Wild Animal Park is fun too, nice drive. If you are ever in SD in the fall, also go to Bates Nut Farm in Valley Center . I would avoid Mission Beach, for locals, it is a beach to party and get into fights. Not clean or kid friendly, though there is a fun amusement park there. Just not the beach.

The lighthouse is at the top of Point Loma.

We love Coronado .... lunch, walking around, check out the beautiful hotel... and if you are lucky...some Navy SEALS running down the beach --- ;)

Also, someone help me out...there is a lighthouse that you can tour right there close to the city.. ugggh! can't remember the name!!!

Have fun!!! I have many fond memories of San Diego!!!

In addition to some others mentioned:

Birch Aquarium in La Jolla (go when they are feeding the fish in the big kelp tank or feeding the tide pool animals)

Chula Vista Nature Center (go when it is feeding time, either for sharks and rays or the eagle feeding, or both)

Children's Pool in La Jolla (seals have taken it over)

Coronado Island for the best beach and to see the Hotel Del (you can take a ferry to the island if you wish)

Tickets to Starlight Theatre? Musicals done outdoors -- they freeze when planes fly overhead. It's a hoot!

Sea World

Barb,

With that many kiddos and no dh, I would stay close to hotel. Do you know which Hilton>

That gives a better idea, while a lot of things are located downtown. Legoland and other places take you north which is far for 10mo.

A good resource is gocitykids.com and click on San Diego and than click on calendar to see what is happening in town. If you need help where things are located pm me.

I dont know about Legoland, I think the only one who might super enjoy is 4yo and maybe baby. My gals went when they were 10 and 8 and dont want to go back . But they are Disney fanatics.

Perhaps if you can afford to a private tour of the Zoo or Sea World. Than you get to see the highlights and behind the scene w/o crowds. Its going to be hot. WAP will be 10 to 20 degrees hotter. That is a fall and spring destination. Stay closer to the coast. Right now inland is 95, not as hot as AZ but not fun.

I would skip MB and hit Paradise Point, the resort is private but the beach is public, little known fact. If you park across the street and walk over, you can enjoy the beach.

This resort is across from Sea World, so if you go there it helps. I think there are San Diego pkgs. ask your hotel concierge. Sometimes they sell passes to these locations in a group.

Hope helps,

Jet

Last time we went, we did Coronado, Sea Port Village, the sightseeing trolley and 2 days of Sea World.

Sea World seems to be a popular suggestion :tongue_smilie: Since that's the only place I've been multiple times (once in San Diego, many times in FL), I'm going to back burner that for a later trip. However, I'm thinking the Birch Aquarium at Scripps would be a nice (and cheaper) alternative.

We will probably spend at least 3-4 days at Balboa Park. Unfortunately the free Tuesdays only apply to residents or military, but I'm definitely going to consider the Balboa Park passes, at least for the adult tickets. Then again, it may be easier to simply buy the passes across the board and be done for the week.

So now I'm really on the fence about Legoland. I know my 4yo will love it. Probably my 7yo and 10yo will like it too. They are excited because they remember the Legoland store exhibit at Disneyworld and they are little kid-type kids. My 15yo can't wait to take Collin and Keira and show it to them. The only one who will be all bored and eye-rolley will likely be Em, the 13yo. But the price...ugh. And it's far. Then again, everything else we're doing is geared toward the older ones.

So what do you think? Legoland or the zoo for the big-ticket trip?

Skipping the WAP this time. Maybe another year. Too far if it's isn't a mustn't miss.

Does anyone know anything about the Children's Museum? Trying to think of a few things for the little guys. It's only a half mile from the hotel so I could actually leave the teens for a few hours and just take the littles.

I will be looking into some of the other cheap and free lesser-known alternatives that you all have mentioned.

Thank you!!

So which were your favorites? Can you rate them all on a scale of 1-10?

The Zoo is easier to maneuver than the WAP, I think.

We were there in March and we did:

San Diego Zoo

Balboa Park

Mission Beach

Sea World (twice)

La Jolla Shores Cove

Old Town

Disney Land

The Grove in LA

Le Brea Tar Pits/Museum

Hanging at hotel pool

Barb,

With that many kiddos and no dh, I would stay close to hotel. Do you know which Hilton>

That gives a better idea, while a lot of things are located downtown. Legoland and other places take you north which is far for 10mo.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites for 6 days and the Hilton Mission Bay for 2.

I hear you on the distance, yet I'm a glutton for punishment heh-heh-heh....

A good resource is gocitykids.com and click on San Diego and than click on calendar to see what is happening in town. If you need help where things are located pm me.

Cool, thanks.

I dont know about Legoland, I think the only one who might super enjoy is 4yo and maybe baby. My gals went when they were 10 and 8 and dont want to go back .

Do you think your girls may have enjoyed it more if they had little kids along to show things to? That's kind of what I'm hoping.

Its going to be hot. WAP will be 10 to 20 degrees hotter. That is a fall and spring destination. Stay closer to the coast. Right now inland is 95, not as hot as AZ but not fun.

Okay, I checked the weather channel and they are calling for highs in the low-mid 70's. Am I reading that right?? I have swimsuits and tank tops packed. Do I need to add jeans and hoodies?

I would skip MB and hit Paradise Point, the resort is private but the beach is public, little known fact. If you park across the street and walk over, you can enjoy the beach.

This a great tip, thank you!!

Barb

FWIW, I stayed at the Del while in San Diego, but we spent out time in the Gas District and Old Town. We took the boat across and a train to the "town". If your husband likes cigars, if you like margaritas as big as your head (no joke, I had salt in my hair after I sipped one) it is a quaint and fun throw back to old times.

That was our honeymoon trip. If we ever revisit, Old Town here we come!

LOL :lol:

Hey, remind me...can I drive to the Hotel Del and park to use the beach? Or do I have to take the Ferry? And if I take the Ferry, do I have to walk with all the kids to the Del?

Barb

FWIW, I stayed at the Del while in San Diego, but we spent out time in the Gas District and Old Town. We took the boat across and a train to the "town". If your husband likes cigars, if you like margaritas as big as your head (no joke, I had salt in my hair after I sipped one) it is a quaint and fun throw back to old times.

That was our honeymoon trip. If we ever revisit, Old Town here we come!

I would really love a margarita as big as my head, but alas my darling husband is missing out on this trip. I'll keep it in mind for next year!

In addition to some others mentioned:

Birch Aquarium in La Jolla (go when they are feeding the fish in the big kelp tank or feeding the tide pool animals)

Chula Vista Nature Center (go when it is feeding time, either for sharks and rays or the eagle feeding, or both)

Children's Pool in La Jolla (seals have taken it over)

Coronado Island for the best beach and to see the Hotel Del (you can take a ferry to the island if you wish)

Tickets to Starlight Theatre? Musicals done outdoors -- they freeze when planes fly overhead. It's a hoot!

Sea World

Thank you for the suggestions! They are all wonderful.

Hi Barb,

Embassy Stes is nice downtown. Of course you can pop on over to Seaport whenever you like, which is convenient. And Coronado is a ferry ride, although you can drive there over the bridge and park(pd or valet)and enjoy.

FYI, I used to work at Embassy stes many moons ago. Love that hotel, they have good sushi at the restaurant. Love the eel rolls.

Horton Plaza is nice to go to for the older gals. Sammies Woodfired pizza is right there, they have great food.

Little Italy is a nice place, perhaps buy some cannolis and walk around the shops. Great italian food.

Civic Theatre is downtown, check their website for shows. And Balboa Park w/all the museums is great, Prado has great Mexican food. They always have fun stuff for kids, check their website.

Escondido where WAP is , is always hot., It is 95 right now there, its been like this for 3 wks. Ooooh, they are open at night. But they are 45 minutes from downtown. It is a trek. I think they have a dino thing going right now. I also remembered the Zoo and Sea World are open at night. You might just want to buy couple day passes to pop in and out at night when its cooler and less crowded. Ck. hotels for deals.

When you hit Mission bay Hilton, that is where I had my reception. They have a beach. So you are set. Sea World is close to there. I would just enjoy there.

Its 70's on the coast probably 60's at night, so maybe some hoodies if you hit Zoo or Sea World at nite. Oh yeah, Sea World has rad fireworks at nite. You might be able to see from your room if you look N.

If you need any restaurant suggestions or help finding anything , let me know.

Hi Barb,

Embassy Stes is nice downtown. Of course you can pop on over to Seaport whenever you like, which is convenient. And Coronado is a ferry ride, although you can drive there over the bridge and park(pd or valet)and enjoy.

FYI, I used to work at Embassy stes many moons ago. Love that hotel, they have good sushi at the restaurant. Love the eel rolls.

Horton Plaza is nice to go to for the older gals. Sammies Woodfired pizza is right there, they have great food.

Little Italy is a nice place, perhaps buy some cannolis and walk around the shops. Great italian food.

Civic Theatre is downtown, check their website for shows. And Balboa Park w/all the museums is great, Prado has great Mexican food. They always have fun stuff for kids, check their website.

Escondido where WAP is , is always hot., It is 95 right now there, its been like this for 3 wks. Ooooh, they are open at night. But they are 45 minutes from downtown. It is a trek. I think they have a dino thing going right now. I also remembered the Zoo and Sea World are open at night. You might just want to buy couple day passes to pop in and out at night when its cooler and less crowded. Ck. hotels for deals.

When you hit Mission bay Hilton, that is where I had my reception. They have a beach. So you are set. Sea World is close to there. I would just enjoy there.

Its 70's on the coast probably 60's at night, so maybe some hoodies if you hit Zoo or Sea World at nite. Oh yeah, Sea World has rad fireworks at nite. You might be able to see from your room if you look N.

If you need any restaurant suggestions or help finding anything , let me know.

Excellent, excellent, excellent. So helpful!

Do you recognize any of these restaurants?

Near Hilton

or these:

Near Embassy

(If the link defaults, put in 92101 and 92109 for the zip codes. Pull down the 1 mile choice on the menu). I have an 80% off coupon code (NAPKIN) so $25 gift certs are only $2!

Barb

So which were your favorites? Can you rate them all on a scale of 1-10?

10. Hanging at the hotel pool. This is my kids' fav thing to do.

9. Disney Land. Say my kids: "If you go to CA once, you have to see DL". (I prefer it over DW myself).

8. Sea World

7. La Jolla Shores Cove and all things La Jolla. Lovely beaches.

6. SD Zoo. Easy to get around, easy to keep track of kids. Easy peasy, nice day.

5. Le Brea tar pits. I love the museum there, and if you have a natural history lover, go. If not, it's skippable. I like it because you never feel you are in the middle of crazy LA. The park is lovely and calm, and I really like the museum. i I's small-ish & simple. A great place to take a rest. It's really one of my fav places (We used to live in S CA). Worthwhile if you are going to LA. We took the kids to Grumman's Chinese Theater, but they only knew the old actors-- Gene Kelly, Clark Gable etc. I wouldn't think it a big deal for little kids. We have friends in LA, so we had reason to go. I would rate this #2, but my kids say otherwise.

4.The Grove (But only if you go to DL, LTP, or LA. I love it there, but it's basically an outdoor mall with a farmer's market. FM are my fav thing to visit and the Grove has wonderful food and drink).

3. Old Town. Interesting and easy to manage with kids. Good food, and nice place to get souvenirs. There is a museum there.

2. Mission Beach/Ocean Beach/Pacific Beach. I put this so low only because it's busy , and very much where the locals hang. It's more Ca and raw. But really , they are among my fav places and I always feel safe. There is a beach board walk along MB/PB. People are roller blading, walking, jogging, laughing, and there are so many wonderful little eateries, cantinas etc. These beaches are where the locals party. They are very fun and the food is great. I personally would not skip it. Yet, well, it's people with fire pits on the beach (the restaurants are fine & safe) bikinis, guys lifing weights on the beach etc. You won't find that in La Jollla, let's say, but LJ is lovely and there are some great ($$$) restaurants. I like both very much, but each offers something quite different.

1. Seaport Village. (Not on my original list, but totally skippable, I think).

Edited by LibraryLover

Excellent, excellent, excellent. So helpful!

Do you recognize any of these restaurants?

Near Hilton

or these:

Near Embassy

(If the link defaults, put in 92101 and 92109 for the zip codes. Pull down the 1 mile choice on the menu). I have an 80% off coupon code (NAPKIN) so $25 gift certs are only $2!

Barb

Downtown is changing all the time. I have been to Grant Grill, that would be a good lunch place perhaps while you are hanging out at Horton Plaza. I think it is w/in walking distance from there. Dont quote me on that one.

I have been to Tony Roma, that is good for kids, its like TGIF or Applebees.

LOL :lol:

Hey, remind me...can I drive to the Hotel Del and park to use the beach? Or do I have to take the Ferry? And if I take the Ferry, do I have to walk with all the kids to the Del?

Barb

I don't know about the ferry, but you can drive over the bridge (it has a toll - it was like $1 when we were there..), and there is parking around the beach are and in town. The hotel is on the Ocean side not the Bay side, so I don't know if the ferry goes over there...seems to me you would have bit of a walk if it doesn't. Oh, and there is a wonderful park on the Bay side that is just on the water called Tidelands Park (right next to the Marriot, if you just want to hang out and let the kids play at some point. Its huge with a nice playground, walking paths, and lots of grassy areas to just run around and get some energy out while you can sit and watch the ships pass by. When the Navy ships are coming in and out of port, the sailors line the sides of the ship in their dress whites while going through the bay. It is quite a sight!