Menu

Education jargon and their meanings

Having only looked into schools from the Kindy (primary level), I was surprised to learn a bunch of words I never knew. Can anyone elaborate on the vocab I don't know and add more?

Educator: teacher, principals, and guidance counselors

Pre K: (pre-kindergarten) nursery school

High kindergarten: a class whose kids would be in Kindy but whose parents wanted more preK studies

Kindgergarten readiness: having suitable skills to "make it" in kindergarten

Socialization: Being around and getting along with non-feral people

Manipulatives: toys

Faith-based initiatives: (not sure what this means, church sponsored activities?)

Sight words: not sure either

Kinesthetic learning: ?

Edited by mirth

kinesthetic--movement oriented. Learning through games, jumping, running, etc...

sight reading--memorizing the words and not reading through phonics

beyond pre-k and nursery school---

To "me" the terms are more specific.

Pre-k is 4 year olds, or you sometimes see K-4

nursery school or preschool would be for anyone younger

oops: I read faith based initiatives as faith based manipulatives. I edited that out.

Having only looked into schools from the Kindy (primary level), I was surprised to learn a bunch of words I never knew. Can anyone elaborate on the vocab I don't know and add more?

High kindergarten: a class whose kids would be in Kindy but whose parents wanted more preK studies

Faith-based initiatives: (not sure what this means, church sponsored activities?)

manipulatives are not so much toys, but objects that can be used to "show" an abstract idea...you can use toys, like blocks, logs, or pennies, beans...anything that can be changed around to express an abstract idea, thus the word manipulative.

faith-based initiatives: your goals, using your faith and the teachings of your church as the guideline.

The others were answered well :) Happy home schooling (you and the dc)

I've heard a different usage for high kindergarten. Where I have seen it used, it means a kindergarten class for kids who could technically be in 1st grade according to age but who are not yet ready for 1st grade (either academically or socially) and so are repeating kindergarten in a class with other older kindergarten students.

Holy Smokes! I never heard this one. Feral is usually used in regards to dogs & cats... not children or people.

So, if we aren't in their institutin are we FERAL?

i don't know if you're joking but the above was the best way i could guess it's meaning

I've only ever heard "socialization" used to describe training wild animals, like feral cats. You put them with tame cats and hopefully the feral ones start to become socialized. So my edufinition is analogous to that .Have to admit, this was the weirdest word of all to apply to children.

Edited by mirth

Here's my favorite education glossary.

OK, I could become seriously addicted to this site. WOW - it is a wealth of information. Funny thing >>> at first I thought it was a publication of the Illinois School sytem.:lol:

I have had problems with Projects, posters, group study and block scheduling. Thankfully not the "guess what the word is" Learn to Read program.

Yikes. Who knew there were so many good reasons to homeschool.:D

kinesthetic--movement oriented. Learning through games, jumping, running, etc...

Kinesthetic learning - Learning through moving their bodies, probably playing on a playground in reality.

Kinesthetic also refers to learning through the sense of touch, such as using manipulatives when learning math.

i don't know if you're joking but the above was the best way i could guess it's meaning

I've only ever heard "socialization" used to describe training wild animals, like feral cats. You put them with tame cats and hopefully the feral ones start to become socialized. So my edufinition is analogous to that .Have to admit, this was the weirdest word of all to apply to children.

How funny! No, I got confused & thought they had used that word in their definition. I was getting worried if it was a new technical jargon too!

Now, I am "on track".:lol: