Menu

Is this normal or an early sign of dyslexia?

mazakaal

My 5yo is learning to read, on lesson 50-something in OPG. He's doing great, moving along slowly, but surely. He doesn't write a lot, but can write his name in all caps. A few weeks ago I picked him up from Sunday school and he had written his name across the top of the paper in all caps, but backwards. Each letter was backwards, too. His name is Alex, so the A and X go either way, but the L and E were both written backwards. Later that week he did it again at home. Other times he's written it perfectly normally. Then yesterday he went to write it again, and when he was starting he asked, 'Does it go this way?' pointing left to right.

So is this something I should be worried about? Should I work with him in any particular way? I never had this happen with my other kids.

Okay, thanks.

BTW, I can hear an actor saying, "Judy, Judy, Judy," in my mind, but can't place the movie. Did you take your posting name from that movie? What was it?

My real name is Judy (actually Judith), and I was called "Judy, Judy, Judy" all my life! I always thought it came from a Cary Grant movie, but I just googled, and I guess I was told incorrectly. I found this on Yahoo answers:

Cary Grant is associated with the phrase but he never said "Judy, Judy, Judy" in the movies, which he credits to Larry Storch, but he did say "Susan, Susan, Susan" in Bringing Up Baby (1938).

Larry Storch inadvertently set in motion the Cary Grant line, "Judy, Judy, Judy..." during one of his nightclub acts. Legend has it that Storch was in the middle of a Grant impersonation when Judy Garland walked in. Apparently, this is how he addressed the star. Even though the line was never said in any of Grant's movies, Storch's impression inexplicably stuck and was often used by other impressionists.

Developmentally it is considered normal for children to reverse their letters up through first grade. I would definitely keep an eye on it and most especially if anyone in the family has dyslexia or "handedness" issues. Even if it's normal some basic support (with sandpaper letters for instance or writing over a screen to increase tactile sensation) would help him to lock in the shapes and facing on the letters.

My 7 year old is still occasionally having some problems in this area but it seems to be getting better.

OPG doesn't emphasize writing. Not all children will know, just from looking at letters, how they are to be written. Left and right don't mean all that much. IOW, it's probably not a big deal.

One of the reasons I like Spalding is that it teaches dc specifically how to write every letter, emphasizing left to right and "the direction that we read and write."

First, I wouldn't worry about it--it sounds fairly normal. Watch, but don't worry.

Second, does he know he is supposed to write his name from left to right? Did he maybe just write from right to left ?(meaning he spelled his name correctly and everything, but forgot to start on the left?) Left to right progression for reading and writing is arbitrary and often doesn't make sense to kids--why should we go left to right and not right to left? I think with practice it will become automatic.

Just to clarify, the whole word was written backwards. So, he wrote X - backward E - backward L - A. He didn't just reverse the letters.

That's a very normal stage in learning to write. I have an example of that from when I was a child, and both my kids did it too. No worries. :001_smile:

I agree that it is normal but I would gently correct him when he is doing his school work (if you are to that point) and have him rewrite the letter/word correctly. Just say, "opps, that is backwards, let's have you fix it". Not to make a big deal about it but rather prevent the habit of letting him practice it incorrectly.

I WISH I had done this as my girls are 12 and 13 adn still have problems with this.