Menu

Do you use essential oils, herbs, etc.?

I would like to transition to them. Do they really work? How long have you used them? Which ones are "must-haves"? Do you use a reference manual to help you? We are not unhealthy people, but when those things do arise, I would like to handle them naturally. I would love to hear your experiences, good and bad. Thanks.

I use eucalyptus oil on my childrens pillows when they are sick to open their nasal passages I also use a couple of drops in the bathtub for the same reason. I use lavendar to calm the nerves. I love, love, love this blood purifier tea that a local Jamaican lady makes here that is just awesome. I always feel like a million bucks after I drink it. I also drink Avita Goldenseal and Echinaechea tea when I am sick or getting sick and it helps. There are others I know I'll think of later, but those are the main ones that I use all the time. Oh and cinammon!! Cinammon is a great healer!! One time I had this weird type of fungus or something underneath the nail of my big toe (sorry it's gross to hear I know). It really hurt and I thought I was going to have to go to the doctor to take care of it, but I did a foot bath first with hot water and cinammon powder from the kitchen. I soaked the foot for like 15-20 minutes and it was totally healed!! The fungus died out and the toe didn't hurt anymore. And the nail grew out completely healthy. Sorry if that story was TMI, but I just wanted to share it so you had an example of just how great cinammon is.

I use Back to Eden and the Herb Book for herb info. I use one for essential oils as well but can't remember the title. I'll have to get it for you later and post back. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

For cleaning with them, you might check out The Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Cleaning, which I've been reading this summer, trying to learn similar things, myself.

I don't tend to use essential oils for health things (just haven't needed such), but I do use these in place of perfumes or deodorizers in my home, for my clothing, etc. for about the past year. I've been buying locally made things through my local food coop, but am looking to start to make my own mixtures.

Okay, I had a chance to run upstairs and check the bookcase and I have to correct my above post. I use The Herb Book (not the Herb Bible as I wrote up there. :p) http://www.amazon.com/Herb-Book-Complete-Authoritative-Guide/dp/0879040556/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248042575&sr=8-1

Back to Eden

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Eden-Jethro-Kloss/dp/0940985101/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248042589&sr=8-1

And The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Essential-Oils-Aromatherapy/dp/0931432820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248042555&sr=8-1

I'll correct my original post now. I hope this is helpful for you. :)

I have only just started learning about this sort of thing, but we keep aloe vera for sunburn and until I got pregnant the second time, I used majorum essential oil for insomnia. Since having him, it smells too strong, but I guess my sense of smell will go back to normal eventually. When it comes to essential oils, there aren't any uh, essentials, (oops, I punned :glare:) because it depends on your sense of smell, what you like. Lavender oil doesn't relax me. I like the smell, but if I try to use it for relaxation purposes, it makes me edgy. You have to try for yourself. Back to the insomnia, someone mentioned on here a while ago that over doing carbs can cause it, and I have seen some evidence of that with dd and I. Oh yes, and we use eucalyptus oil to clean the loo :) Before we had kids, we used to boil up some cloves in water to use as an air freshener in the bathroom.

Rosie

I've been using essential oils for some time now, although I do not use them exclusively. I also use quite a few herbal mixes and traditional medecine when absolutley necessary. Browse through www.youngliving.us for lots of good information (I'm not a distributor and have no interest in the company; I simply find their oils to be of excellent quality).

YES, they do work! Taking a more natural approach to healing (and treatment) usually takes more time than traditional methods, but the benefits are long-lasting. Your body builds it's own immunities much more quickly and in time, you become much more resistent to everyday bugs and viruses, thus being much more effective in the long run.

You need to make sure to use therapeutic grade oils for treating ailments of all types. Lavendar is a good one to begin with as it's healing properties are quite diverse. Theives and RC are 2 others I find myself using frequently.

I do use a desk reference regularly, on a weekly basis probably. Let me know if you have other questions...I'll answer what I can and can probably point you in the right direction if I can't!

I use eucalyptus oil on my childrens pillows when they are sick to open their nasal passages I also use a couple of drops in the bathtub for the same reason. I use lavendar to calm the nerves. I love, love, love this blood purifier tea that a local Jamaican lady makes here that is just awesome. I always feel like a million bucks after I drink it. I also drink Avita Goldenseal and Echinaechea tea when I am sick or getting sick and it helps. There are others I know I'll think of later, but those are the main ones that I use all the time. Oh and cinammon!! Cinammon is a great healer!! One time I had this weird type of fungus or something underneath the nail of my big toe (sorry it's gross to hear I know). It really hurt and I thought I was going to have to go to the doctor to take care of it, but I did a foot bath first with hot water and cinammon powder from the kitchen. I soaked the foot for like 15-20 minutes and it was totally healed!! The fungus died out and the toe didn't hurt anymore. And the nail grew out completely healthy. Sorry if that story was TMI, but I just wanted to share it so you had an example of just how great cinammon is.

I use Back to Eden and the Herb Book for herb info. I use one for essential oils as well but can't remember the title. I'll have to get it for you later and post back. :)

That is a wonderful testimonial and what I want to hear. Good for you! I had that on my big toe for years as well as ingrown toenails and I went the podiatrist route and took the fungal medicine and all. I wish I could go back. I don't know what I could have done for the ingrown toenails. I see the need for medical intervention when absolutely necessary (broken bones, etc.), but I really want to be able to treat us without antibiotics when the need arises. Thanks for sharing and no, not TMI. :)

For cleaning with them, you might check out The Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Cleaning, which I've been reading this summer, trying to learn similar things, myself.

I don't tend to use essential oils for health things (just haven't needed such), but I do use these in place of perfumes or deodorizers in my home, for my clothing, etc. for about the past year. I've been buying locally made things through my local food coop, but am looking to start to make my own mixtures.

Thanks for this book suggestion. I was looking for something like that. I've heard of Green This, too.

That is a wonderful testimonial and what I want to hear. Good for you! I had that on my big toe for years as well as ingrown toenails and I went the podiatrist route and took the fungal medicine and all. I wish I could go back. I don't know what I could have done for the ingrown toenails. I see the need for medical intervention when absolutely necessary (broken bones, etc.), but I really want to be able to treat us without antibiotics when the need arises. Thanks for sharing and no, not TMI. :)

I'm glad you weren't grossed out. :p I'm glad also to be of any help. Check your library for those books I listed... I've had them for years so I'm pretty sure they might be in there. I have other books on herbs and stuff but those are the ones that I always go to because they are so good. :)

Okay, I had a chance to run upstairs and check the bookcase and I have to correct my above post. I use The Herb Book (not the Herb Bible as I wrote up there. :p) http://www.amazon.com/Herb-Book-Complete-Authoritative-Guide/dp/0879040556/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248042575&sr=8-1

Back to Eden

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Eden-Jethro-Kloss/dp/0940985101/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248042589&sr=8-1

And The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Essential-Oils-Aromatherapy/dp/0931432820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248042555&sr=8-1

I'll correct my original post now. I hope this is helpful for you. :)

Very, thank you! Also, I forgot to mention on your other post regarding the jamaican tea. I've been recently drinking a mixture that a friend gave me that is also a blood purifier. I am addicted to it, mainly because it is so refreshing. It is 2 cups purified water, 1/4 cup wakame (dried seaweed), let the water and wakame soak for a few minutes, then add 1/4 agave nectar (or stevia to your taste), peppermint oil (I use 2 viles), and couple handfuls of organic greens (parsley is my fave, but it's good to mix them up). Blend this up and then evenly pour it into 10 water bottles and then fill the rest of the water bottle with purified water. I love this! It makes 10 water bottle-fulls. Your experience with the tea sounds great! What is her recipe for it, or do you know?

I have only just started learning about this sort of thing, but we keep aloe vera for sunburn and until I got pregnant the second time, I used majorum essential oil for insomnia. Since having him, it smells too strong, but I guess my sense of smell will go back to normal eventually. When it comes to essential oils, there aren't any uh, essentials, (oops, I punned :glare:) because it depends on your sense of smell, what you like. Lavender oil doesn't relax me. I like the smell, but if I try to use it for relaxation purposes, it makes me edgy. You have to try for yourself. Back to the insomnia, someone mentioned on here a while ago that over doing carbs can cause it, and I have seen some evidence of that with dd and I. Oh yes, and we use eucalyptus oil to clean the loo :) Before we had kids, we used to boil up some cloves in water to use as an air freshener in the bathroom.

Rosie

I've also heard clove is a good antimicrobial. The person who told me that said the natives actually stuck them up their nose and rubbed it on their lips. She also said that oregano, thyme and clove are excellent to have around! A study showed that thyme, I believe, was effective against anthrax and oregano obliterated the flu virus in nanoseconds! When I hear that kind of stuff, it excites me! There was more she shared that got me into thinking about about using essential oils more and more.

I've been using essential oils for some time now, although I do not use them exclusively. I also use quite a few herbal mixes and traditional medecine when absolutley necessary. Browse through www.youngliving.us for lots of good information (I'm not a distributor and have no interest in the company; I simply find their oils to be of excellent quality).

YES, they do work! Taking a more natural approach to healing (and treatment) usually takes more time than traditional methods, but the benefits are long-lasting. Your body builds it's own immunities much more quickly and in time, you become much more resistent to everyday bugs and viruses, thus being much more effective in the long run.

You need to make sure to use therapeutic grade oils for treating ailments of all types. Lavendar is a good one to begin with as it's healing properties are quite diverse. Theives and RC are 2 others I find myself using frequently.

I do use a desk reference regularly, on a weekly basis probably. Let me know if you have other questions...I'll answer what I can and can probably point you in the right direction if I can't!

Thank you. These oils were the ones recommended to me for the very reason you shared. Theives was mentioned a lot too. What is RC? Purification was one she said she carried in her purse and was very effective against bug bites and much more, but I specifically remember bug bites. I'm just hearing more and more success cases using oils. What is the name of the desk reference you use?

Very, thank you! Also, I forgot to mention on your other post regarding the jamaican tea. I've been recently drinking a mixture that a friend gave me that is also a blood purifier. I am addicted to it, mainly because it is so refreshing. It is 2 cups purified water, 1/4 cup wakame (dried seaweed), let the water and wakame soak for a few minutes, then add 1/4 agave nectar (or stevia to your taste), peppermint oil (I use 2 viles), and couple handfuls of organic greens (parsley is my fave, but it's good to mix them up). Blend this up and then evenly pour it into 10 water bottles and then fill the rest of the water bottle with purified water. I love this! It makes 10 water bottle-fulls. Your experience with the tea sounds great! What is her recipe for it, or do you know?

Oh that's a cool recipe. I'll have to try that one. :) The Jamaican lady who makes the blood purifier tea has her own herbal shop here in South Florida. Her name is Diane Galloway. The mix is her own. I'm not sure what all is in it, but I know one of the ingredients is dandelion. I googled her just now and she has a website!! There is a really annoying computer lady that keeps popping up on each page and I don't know how to shut her off, but the herbs are good just the same! :p http://www.theherbalgardens.com/bloodprufier.aspx

I have a collection of herbal and homeopathic goodies in my medicine cabinet. The ones I use the most are Yummy Yarrow (a Trilight combination for kids coming down with a cold/flu), echinacea for general immune system building, peppermint tea for tummy aches, chamomile tea for night time relaxation, an herbal salve for cuts and bites, arnica cream for muscle aches, and a wonderful product called Rescue Remedy which is a flower essence for emotional disturbances and nervousness. I have collodial silver for persistant infections, and some homeopathic kits for different things like allergies, colds, insect bites, nausea, etc. A good book for that is Easy Homeopathy. I love lavendar spray for my pillows at night. I am currently working through a family herbal course by Shonda Parker that is a lot of information and fun. Cough syrup with cherry bark is wonderful, and having grapfruit seed extract for disinfecting things is handy. I could go on but these things come to mind. Check out all the great articles at the Bulk Herb Store: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/index?id=yAQ4BRrX Any book by Rosemary Gladstar is brilliant. Have fun!

I have a collection of herbal and homeopathic goodies in my medicine cabinet. The ones I use the most are Yummy Yarrow (a Trilight combination for kids coming down with a cold/flu), echinacea for general immune system building, peppermint tea for tummy aches, chamomile tea for night time relaxation, an herbal salve for cuts and bites, arnica cream for muscle aches, and a wonderful product called Rescue Remedy which is a flower essence for emotional disturbances and nervousness. I have collodial silver for persistant infections, and some homeopathic kits for different things like allergies, colds, insect bites, nausea, etc. A good book for that is Easy Homeopathy. I love lavendar spray for my pillows at night. I am currently working through a family herbal course by Shonda Parker that is a lot of information and fun. Cough syrup with cherry bark is wonderful, and having grapfruit seed extract for disinfecting things is handy. I could go on but these things come to mind. Check out all the great articles at the Bulk Herb Store: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/index?id=yAQ4BRrX Any book by Rosemary Gladstar is brilliant. Have fun!

Wow, thanks! I needed to hear the "basics" of what to have around. I do use grapefruit seed extract to wash fruit and use the homeopathic cough syrup you can buy in the health section or a health food store. (Umcka, I think?) I keep Wild Mediterranian Oregano Oil caplets around as well as echinachea/goldenseal and start those the minute anyone starts feeling sick or sounding like they are getting sick. What is the herbal salve you use? I recently heard an interesting tidbit about older/elderly people being resistant to neosporin. Interesting! Also, do you happen to know why collodial silver doesn't work for me? My mother and a friend have tried it, too, and it doesn't work for them either. Is it because it's not anti-viral? It could have been something viral we were using it for. Hmm, just curious and frustrated that I don't see results with it like I'm supposed to. Thanks for the other suggestions, including the book. I'm so motivated to revamp our medicine cabinet with better stuff. :)

Oh that's a cool recipe. I'll have to try that one. :) The Jamaican lady who makes the blood purifier tea has her own herbal shop here in South Florida. Her name is Diane Galloway. The mix is her own. I'm not sure what all is in it, but I know one of the ingredients is dandelion. I googled her just now and she has a website!! There is a really annoying computer lady that keeps popping up on each page and I don't know how to shut her off, but the herbs are good just the same! :p http://www.theherbalgardens.com/bloodprufier.aspx

Thanks for sharing the website! I'll watch out for the computer lady. :)

My favorite is tea tree oil -- I put a drop or two in my neti pot (nasal rinser) along with the rinsing salt/baking soda and it has worked wonders on my chronic sinus infection. What several courses of antibiotics couldn't get rid of, it did.

I also have been having a lot of hormonal acne outbreaks lately, and a drop on each spot helps clear them up.

This is a great thread...thanks for posting. I've been thinking about essential oils lately, and wanting to learn more, myself. For example, for those of you who mix your own cleaning agent such as vinegar and water, how much oil of eucalyptus do you put into a standard squirt bottle along with the vinegar and water mixture?

Diane, I just now saw how old your original post was!!! What have you found in the year since you originally asked the question??? Just curious about your journey :)

Forgive my fauz-pas! I guess I was looking at your "join date" and not your original post date!

:lol:

A good salve for all-purpose use that we've used for years is Soothing Salve (a Tri Light Herb product).

http://www.trilighthealth.com/trilight/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=275_71&products_id=227

I just purchased Eden Salve but haven't used it yet. It costs more but can do more types of healing.

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Eden-Salve?id=mDwHItZf

I just want to second (or third or whatever) Back to Eden. I got started with that book!

Goldenseal/echinacea tea -- I use this when I feel an illness coming on and have three cups each day. It works wonderfullyl to keep it at bay. If I miss it and get the full fledged illness, I do the same and feel sick only 2-3 days.

For poison ivy I sprinkle goldenseal powder on the affected area. I keep sprinkling and even cover it with gauze or something at night. Does wonders.

hmmm

I've just started with red raspberry leaf tea for monthly issues and can't say from experience yet if it works well or not.

I don't really suffer from anything else so I don't know what helps for what.

The one problem I did have was severe insomnia. A while back the doc discovered ovarian cysts and recommended a specific diet for that. It's about insulin resistance, cysts, et c. The idea is to eat lots of protein, plenty of veggies and fruits, and pair each and every carb with protein. Limit non-veggie/fruit/legum carbs to 2 per meal. I have read up on it in several books, et c. and kind of tried it out half-heartedly. I just don't have any idea if this is helping with the cysts b/c I have't been back to retest yet. However, the interesting side effect of B.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l. sound, lovely sleep hooked me right away. I am so rested and energetic now! I kid you not!!!

Anyway, I got sidetracked. I was going to say that I tried everything from lavendar to melatonin to homeopathic whatever and none of it worked for me. The PCOS diet put me to sleep like a lamb! If you can't sleep, I suggest you google pcos and diet or insulin resistance and diet.

Well, those are the only things I ever suffer from so those are the only herbal treatments I've ever tried.

I also clean with natural, homemade cleansers and use essential oils in that.

I have read about a castor oil poultice for ovarian cysts but I have't used it yet. I want to see what the diet does first. After my next ultrasound I'll see how many cysts after a few months of this way of eating. If I still have the same amount or more, i'll try the poultice.

Any way, that's what we use.

I would like to transition to them. Do they really work? How long have you used them? Which ones are "must-haves"? Do you use a reference manual to help you? We are not unhealthy people, but when those things do arise, I would like to handle them naturally. I would love to hear your experiences, good and bad. Thanks.

I've used them for years, yes they really work. Please don't expect it to be a quick education. :P

Get a couple good books first. For specifically mothering, pregnancy, or child herbals, look to Aviva Jill Romm. Rosemary Gladstar's The Family Herbal is useful but I don't like it as well as Romm's books. IMO, a Christian should avoid Susun Weed's books like the plague. Shonda Parker is a Christian herbalist alternative but I'll be the first to say she specializes in "ready made" herbs. So if you're looking to USE herbs, she's a go, but if you're looking to make your own tinctures, balms, teas, etc. she would be a poor choice.

We do not treat sickness as much as we consume for health if that makes any sense. We drink teas, consume herbs, etc. daily in order to preserve health. They are there to support wellness. They are part of a daily diet.

Herbs absolutely are effective in times of illness but you gyp yourself if that is all you ever use. I'm far more confident in herbalism now than I was in 2000/2001 when I took my first herb - a capsule of Red Raspberry Leaf during pregnancy! :P But, I still have plenty to learn. Now we're working more on wildcrafting and identification. It's amazing what is around us and how easy it is to utilize!

I did actually run a business creating and selling medicinal herbal teas, balms, lotions, soaps, et cetera. It became too much for me and now I just stock on Hyena Cart once a month with herbal teas. I get most of my herbs from Frontier since they sell a wide range of Organic, plus I was able to get a wholesale account and they are pretty local. Their herbs are amazing, both in quality and color. I'd suggest to you that the actual herb is preferable to a capsule. Just like food (herbs ARE food) the more you change them, process them the lower the nutritional / medicinal value.... You are far better off consuming blueberries than a capsule of pulverized, dried, berries. You are better off creating a tea of the actual red raspberry leaf than consuming the pulverized, processed leaf.

Edited by BlsdMama

You know while I'm thinking on it and since I've gone back and re-read other folks' posts, I want to give Shonda's books a fair review. They are VERY insightful, they go in depth into more than just herbs. *I* was very specifically looking for books that would help me go from green plant, growing in the ground, to drying, preparation, and finished product when I owned and read these books. These books are NOT that.

However, and it's a big however, they are extremely useful for the person switching from the standard Wal-Mart synthetic multi-vitamin to learning how to care for her family in a natural way. It goes over more than just sickness, but keeping well as well and addresses feeding in a whole foods way. Moreover, she has a "buying plan" in there that stretches out over the whole year so that you can equip yourself by what is most necessary and includes important items one wouldn't think of as "herbal" like, for example, an otoscope, but would be necessary if you were trying to provide home medical care for your family. They are GREAT books to own if you're just making the switch, and they are, unabashedly, Christian.

Herbalism is NOT a "read a book, know it all" type of a hobby. It's truly a life long learning...... You aquire a bit, utilize, aquire more, utilize, aquire more... You can see where I'm going with this. It just doesn't end as you go more and more in depth. :) It is VERY rewarding and enjoyable though. You'll be amazed the first time you make your own cough syrup and it WORKS. You'll be floored the first time you treat something like mastitis, that you thought could only be fixed by anti-biotics, or when you stop diahhrea. You'll LOVE that your kids can wake up with a sore throat, or recognize the "off" feeling before they really get sick and throw together their own tea. Yup, it's pretty amazing to be in charge of your health. We still absolutely utilize medical providers as necessary. But the word necessary is completely defined SO much more differently than it once was in our house! :lol:

Thank you. These oils were the ones recommended to me for the very reason you shared. Theives was mentioned a lot too. What is RC? Purification was one she said she carried in her purse and was very effective against bug bites and much more, but I specifically remember bug bites. I'm just hearing more and more success cases using oils. What is the name of the desk reference you use?

I use the Essential Oils Desk Reference (4th edition) by Essential Science Publishing. It's a bit pricey, but quite thorough. I'm sure you could find it used.

RC is an antiseptic blend of eucalyptus oils and is used to support the respiratory system ~ great for winter time sniffles and colds. Raven is another good one.

Purification is great for bites of all kinds, scrapes (particularly "road rash"!) and cuts. I use it in place of antibiotic ointment. It's also a wonderful odor neutralizer (dab a bit on a cottonball and let it sit out or use it in a diffuser). If I'm out of Purification, I'll use Melrose in it's place.

These are blends. I also combine them with singles depending on the ailment.