Menu

Math- Need a little less teacher intensive 5th grade

bethben

Ds has been doing singapore for 3 years now. I really like the program, but need something a little less teacher intensive. This is how it goes with us, I teach him the lesson, he does the examples, and then needs help ( or me to sit by him) for the workbook homework. I will not have that kind of time next year. It has a little to do with him - he's a very social/perfectionist kind of guy, and maybe how I've let him not have to learn on his own?

So...he's done with singapore 4a - and seems he would place in Saxon 54 or even 65 or teaching textbooks level 6. Any suggestions on how to get his child to be a little less dependent on me? I am looking for something not totally independent (because of his age), but more independent of my time to have to sit there with him for 30-40 minutes of uninterrupted siblings (not going to keep happening in this house!).

Beth

We have used both Saxon and MUS--in the same year. Both have enabled my dc to work independently. In Saxon, they read the lesson and then do the problems. They come to me when they're stuck. But, I always ask them if they've reread the instructions--esp. on material from previous lessons. This is why I like Saxon--it tells us which lesson to go back to if we need help.

MUS has been totally independent.

I have been very happy w/both programs and the kids' test scores are great. However, I've been toying w/the idea of switching to Singapore to get more word problems (I'd probably keep Saxon as our spine though). And I am concerned with the teacher intensity.

Good luck,

Laura

Here's another vote for MUS. The video lessons are very good, and if you are good at teaching math - then your dc can come to you for more coaching. My dd has had MUS for the past two years and really likes it. As she advances though, it is harder for me to be her teacher because (as stated in another thread) math is not my strength when it comes to teaching. It sounds like for you family it might be just right though. I would definitely encourage you to check out MUS.

BTW, we are very seriously considering going to TT this year because of the high level of teaching included with the curriculum. If I was stronger at math myself, or we can possibly find a tutor I can afford, we'd stay with MUS.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My youngest has taught himself math through Saxon the last couple of years. He prefers it that way. He reads the lesson, does the lesson practice which I check, and then does 1/2 the problems in the mixed practice. My dc make the first round of corrections on their own-meaning they attempt to fix what they've missed on their own. Usually, one or two mistakes are due to a lack of understanding and I work with them on those. The majority of mistakes are "SMEs" -simple math errors - missing a number in adding, transposing numbers when writing down the problem, etc. Drilling at this point is in the car. Mental math happens in real life. They figure tips at restaurants, price per oz in the grocery story, doubling fractions while cooking.

Saxons lessons are self-explanatory at this stage. My time commitment is about 10-15 minutes per day.

Best wishes for finding what works best for you and your family.

Personally, I think switching math programs (even one with dvds) would be more disruptive than just working on the issue - helping him learn to work more independently. Maybe you just need to wean him off of needing you during his workbook time? Set a timer and tell him he needs to work alone for x minutes (15?) and any questions he needs you for he can save until the time is up. As he adjusts to that, then extend the time. I'm not trying to create frustration for him, but if he's already worked example problems with you, shouldn't he be ready to tackle some on his own?

Switching to MUS would give him a dvd lesson, but if the method is different he's going to come right back to you as he adjusts to doing a problem differently. (Plus, in my experience, while we auto-pilot-ed through Alpha and Beta, there were topics in Gamma and Delta where a couple methods might be shown and you start with one to "see" the concept, and then switch to the other for simplification. This was a bit of a problem for my ds and in hindsight this was the stage when I should have started watching the DVDs for myself and then taught him the way I wanted him to learn it. I know this is not everyone's experience, but just my .02) Plus, I wouldn't switch math curricula (and take a chance of being back half a year or so) if the current one is sufficient.

Just my .02 of course! I totally understand about needing some subjects and some dc to become more independent - I'm a bit stressed about how we're going to get it all done this year! Wish you the best as you think it through and decide what's best for ds and your family!

If he's a social bug, that isn't going to change just because you change curricula. I think in another thread people listed some options a 5th grader can do more independently (Horizons, etc.). You may have to continue to meet his social needs, even as you tweak the curriculum. Do you think he's needing you during the work due to skill issues? If that's the case, then seeing things fresh through a new curriculum might be good. You might also try to break up your time, doing part of the assignment together (the odds) and then leaving the evens for homework. I use BJU math, and I do the textbook problems with her, leaving the worksheet for homework, sometimes even in the evenings. You could try a strategy where he works alone, skips things he can't handle, then comes to you just with the ones that remain.

You have to figure out whether you have a social/weaning issue you're working on or a skills-lack issue holding him back. Unfortunately, this is a real stickywicket age. They're old enough that we wish they could work independently, but to get them totally independent you have to put them into a curriculum that doesn't require as much thought as you want them to put into it. You realize an alternative would be to put him into that basic curriculum (Horizons, CLE, whatever), and then add on some Mind Benders, Math Olympiad problems, etc. to kick up the thought... That's what I'm doing with my dd, and so far so good. I got the Math Olympiad books from http://www.artofproblemsolving.com and photocopied them, inserting blank pages, and binding to create a super-duper workbook. We're doing just a problem a day. It doesn't take long, maybe 5 minutes, but it sure is brain-tingling. Did the same thing with the Mindbenders. So don't get too in the box. He could do Horizons plus CWP.

Because I use Singapore too- I don't necessarily think that the problem is the child. As I read back thru your post... maybe some of it is him- but I have been teaching two with Singapore- and they both need my help working problems. They are both very different personalities.I, too, have found that Singapore demands a lot from me as the teacher. If I am not there- they are not learning it properly- at least at my house.

Some of it- with me- is learning to think the Singapore way...

I don't have a recommendation for you though! Sorry!

I think Teaching Textbooks would be okay for a one year "interim" but I am not sure if you would want to switch forever.

I am looking at Saxon for my crew.

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

Part of the problem with Singapore is that it doesn't have a lot of examples sometimes to work through together. Sometimes it does - it depends. I think part of my situation is that his math ability is starting to be hampered with his maturity. I have a soon to be 3rd grader working in Singapore 4b/5a (which is decimals and multiplying with fractions ect). He does best with the word problems suprisingly. Maybe I just need to work with what has been working and add in extras when he has problems. I don't ever see Singapore being even slightly independent- especially in the older grades. What to do what to do...I'm sure I'll just have to sit on it for a while and see what sticks.

Beth

Because I use Singapore too- I don't necessarily think that the problem is the child. As I read back thru your post... maybe some of it is him- but I have been teaching two with Singapore- and they both need my help working problems. They are both very different personalities.I, too, have found that Singapore demands a lot from me as the teacher. If I am not there- they are not learning it properly- at least at my house.

Yes- that is the problem. I love singapore, but it is very teacher intensive and I wonder how much you can really understand if it's being slight spoon fed (which is what I'm feeling a bit). He's on track to be in pre-algebra/algebra in 5th grade and I'm not convinced that's a good idea considering his age.

Beth

Part of the problem with Singapore is that it doesn't have a lot of examples sometimes to work through together. Sometimes it does - it depends. I think part of my situation is that his math ability is starting to be hampered with his maturity. I have a soon to be 3rd grader working in Singapore 4b/5a (which is decimals and multiplying with fractions ect). He does best with the word problems suprisingly. Maybe I just need to work with what has been working and add in extras when he has problems. I don't ever see Singapore being even slightly independent- especially in the older grades. What to do what to do...I'm sure I'll just have to sit on it for a while and see what sticks.

Beth

In that case, backing up and/or switching may be just the ticket. As OhE suggested you can always add CWP to something else to keep the benefit of using Singapore while you cover the basics with something more independent.

... that Singapore never becomes independent. I did it through 6B with my oldest. It gets harder and more teacher intensive.

My youngest is still using it, but my middle child - a daughter - and I were not a good Singapore team. She switched to Teaching Textbooks last year and math has been a dream for us. The transition was extremely easy.

Teaching Textbooks has its detractors, but it has been a fantastic match for my daughter; she is excelling and learning, and she now counts math as her favorite subject. No, it isn't as thought-provoking as Singapore. But, TT is most certainly giving her an excellent foundation. We do supplement with the CWP, so that satisfies my passion for Singapore.

TT has a placement test - I don't remember where exactly my daughter finished off with Singapore, but there may be two "levels" between TT and SIngapore, fwiw.