Menu

Finished First Week of Homeschooling...

We officially finished our first week of homeschooling (2nd and 1st grade). We started the school year in July "in case it doesn't work out". :glare: Funny, eh?

I am pleased to announce (to other parents trying this for the first time) that it was a great week. It really wasn't as big of a deal as everybody (my opposing relatives) was making it out to be and the kids had a great time. It was a lot more relaxed than normal around here and the kids really mellowed out by the end of the week. The 2nd grader spent a lot of time following me around the house asking if we could do schoolwork (at 8:00 pm and 6 o'clock in the morning) and giving me her plans for our school schedule (good thing she's here). My 6 year-old son would do some schoolwork, practise his lightsaber moves in the living room for a few minutes, and start on a workbook.

We started Sonlight Core 1, CLE LA, Horizons and Singapore Math, Apologia Science (kids' favorite), HWOT and oldest takes violin and piano.

Now, we're really excited! Homeschooling is awesome!

No more screaming from 6:30-7:30am, packing lunches, packing backpacks, the kids screaming at each other, me screaming at them because we're going to "miss the bus" and the entire family sprinting out the door with backpacks flying while the baby screams because she woke up too early. My kids usually come home at 3 exhausted, with homework (for me) and with attitudes.

All the drama just disappeared overnight- POOF! :tongue_smilie: What a fun week we had! I hope the rest of the school year goes this well.

No more screaming from 6:30-7:30am, packing lunches, packing backpacks, the kids screaming at each other, me screaming at them because we're going to "miss the bus" and the entire family sprinting out the door with backpacks flying while the baby screams because she woke up too early. My kids usually come home at 3 exhausted, with homework (for me) and with attitudes.

:iagree: I've often thought that hs'ing was a way easier routine than killing yourself to fit someone else's schedule. The days are so much more relaxing and you set the pace! Just this last year we moved to a 4 day school week so that we always have 3-day weekends! fun fun fun Most years we have had a rule that after Christmas, the first weather forecast of all 70+ degree days..........we take that week off and call it our spring break. Go to zoos, parks, ride bikes etc. :D

Hs'ing is a lot of fun and I'm glad that you and your dc enjoyed your first week.

All the drama just disappeared overnight- POOF! :tongue_smilie: What a fun week we had! I hope the rest of the school year goes this well.

:iagree: That was our experience too! Now, of course, ds is irritated that he's working while his cousins are lazying about, but that all changes while they're staying here. LOL! The boys are ALL doing school work, I'm back to rereading the Ancients (for my nephews benefit) and my sister is talking about leaving them here all summer :lol:

The 2nd grader spent a lot of time following me around the house asking if we could do schoolwork (at 8:00 pm and 6 o'clock in the morning)

That is one of the things I love...dd5 has no concept of when "school hours" "should" be. Evenings, Saturdays and Sundays are fine with her.

This is something I'm glad we're missing altogether. I'm not a morning person--it's hard enough for me to get everyone ready to go somewhere by 9am!

Guest lahmeh

I am so glad for you! I have a 1st and 2nd grader as well. They are soooo precious and eager to learn (most of the time) at this age! :)

I used to start in July every year. That allowed us to have a six-week-on, one-week-off schedule. Or, we did a couple years of four day weeks. It was awesome!

Now that my kids are older, and are involved in so many activities that are tied to the local school calendar, we don't have that option. But I loved that flexibility.

Have fun on your journey. I'm glad you had such a great first week. What a blessing to be able to enjoy your days with your little ones. :)