Menu

elementary spanish

Someone PLEASE answer this question. I know absolutely nothing about Spanish and my kids really want to learn to speak it. What is a mom to do? I need a computer based curriculum that they can do independently. After all, I didn't say that I wanted to learn Spanish, now did I? :lol:

If you have either Dish Network or United Streaming, I recommend Elementary Spanish. On the Dish Network, this is called Elementary Spanish at Home, and it's on the University House channel, which is on the basic package. Set your tivo. This class could not be easier to implement.

Here is a big list of Spanish options.

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/spanishcurriculum.htm

And some new links:

http://www.mangolanguages.com/ A lot of libraries are offering this in place of Rosetta Stone (which used to be available in the libraries).

http://rlnvault.com/rln09/category/shows/coffee-break-spanish/page/6/

Coffee Break Spanish is a free listen-and-learn program for beginners. The website is a bit challenging, but I really like the content!

Okay, I guess I'm one of very few wanting to do Spanish. I will tell you others that the Power-Glide Spanish looks pretty neat. They are coming out with a new version that you do on your computer. I'm looking at the earlier version that comes with cd's & workbooks. I had thought about just getting a workbook or two to go along with our "My First Spanish Words" book (or something like that) but decided if I butchered the pronunciation of the words I wouldnt be doing any of us a favor. Anyway, I may be going with Power-Glide since there doesnt seem to be alot feedback on this subject. If anyone else is interested you can look at sample pages & write ups on this at rainbowresource.com or cbd.com or go to power-glide.com

Okay, I guess I'm one of very few wanting to do Spanish....there doesnt seem to be alot feedback on this subject....

We've talked about Spanish a LOT on this board. Just search on the word "Spanish" or "Spanish curriculum." You'll find many, many posts.

I will tell you others that the Power-Glide Spanish looks pretty neat. ....Anyway, I may be going with Power-Glide ...

I absolutely HATED PowerGlide. We've used a lot of products, and that's the one we hated the most. Search the boards for "Power-Glide" or "Powerglide," and study the responses before you buy.

My dd (entering grade 5) is going to complete the two years of Spanish from Calvert. The book is pretty dopey, in my view -- a McDougall Littell (did I type that right?) textbook. Nonetheless, it will do the job adequately for middle school Spanish.

Yes, I speak Spanish. However, I do think that a parent who does not know Spanish could proctor this coursework. The audio components are available online (with enrollment in the course), if one does not wish to purchase the [expensive] CDs.

I bought PowerGlide Spanish years ago, and abandoned it somewhere in the maw of our curriculum closet. I do not care for the approach.

Made-up example:

I want meatballs.

Yo want meatballs.

Yo quiero meatballs.

Yo quiero albondigas.

They use (or did then) the most manufactured, artificial method for learning a language -- incrementally tucking in foreign language words into English sentences. Purely absurd, I felt.

We just purchased "So You Really Want to Learn Spanish" by Galore Park. It comes with a CD. However, I did have 3 years of college Spanish, and lived in Spain for a year, so I am not afraid to teach it, even without the CD... Let us know what you find!

If you have either Dish Network or United Streaming, I recommend Elementary Spanish. On the Dish Network, this is called Elementary Spanish at Home, and it's on the University House channel, which is on the basic package. Set your tivo. This class could not be easier to implement.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I have the DVR set to record the episodes starting tomorrow!

I bought PowerGlide Spanish years ago, and abandoned it somewhere in the maw of our curriculum closet. I do not care for the approach.

Made-up example:

I want meatballs.

Yo want meatballs.

Yo quiero meatballs.

Yo quiero albondigas.

They use (or did then) the most manufactured, artificial method for learning a language -- incrementally tucking in foreign language words into English sentences. Purely absurd, I felt.

Blech. I studied four languages concurrently in my high school years. You're right. That is NOT the way to learn a new language.

Let's see. . .

I did elementary German with Power Glide 5 years ago and it was okay.

My oldest is finishing up PG French (high school) -- definately would warn against. He and I found oodles of mistakes in the text. (Too many glaring mistakes to have been edited properly.)

You didn't say exactly what you were hoping from the course. Would you like an all around course that is going to have writing / grammar? (If so, then something like Rosetta Stone, unless they've changed it since I last looked, would not be a good option.)

Are you looking for something more along the lines of spoken language? (Then, I'd heartily recommend Pimsleur -- though it is expensive.)

*sigh*

go to a book store. There is a product. . .I seem to recall it looking like "cliff note" books (yellow and black), but I also seem to recall it made me think of traffic signs or the driving dummies. (All this to say, I can't for the life of me remember who put it out.) But, this product has a great number of levels and angles. It is not written to kids though. I think it was originally put out for business people. But, it has its first level as audio (listening comprehension) and then speech and then writing. (I had this for German, but I loaned it to a friend and she hasn't returned it.)

HTH

I second the recommendation of Elementary Spanish through Discovery Streaming. You can also purchase each year on cd for around $200.

Okay, I guess I'm one of very few wanting to do Spanish.

I doubt it. There are tons and tons of threads about Spanish curricula.

Tara

I usually have no real advice. I can only share what I plan to do in September. I am creating my own program for my sons to learn some Spanish. It is work for me now in the summer to prepare it, but once it's prepared I won't have to do that much.

I like the way Prima Latina taught Latin to my children. So, I am using that style to teach Spanish. I have old Spanish books that my sons can copy a list of vocabulary words. I have CDs in Spanish like Shout Praise Kids. My sons can listen to the songs, write the songs, and then sing the songs. I have some Spanish VBS lessons that my husband (who is Spanish speaking) can read to the boys. After a year of studying just how to pronounce and say the words, I will look into purchasing a curriculum. I like the idea of having a child learn vocabulary and correct pronunciation first before going into grammar, etc. That is truly how language is learned anyway.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We subscribe to Discovery Education Plus via Homeschool Buyers Co-op and use the spanish on it as well as many other things such as Liberty Kids, Bill Nye the Science Guy, etc.

They have Elementary Spanish Grade 1-2, Grade 3-5, Grade 6-8, and higher grades as well. They also have several other spanish programs or spanish language programs as well. My ds likes the elementary spanish.

We also use Salsa from Georgia Public Broadcasting. It if free online at the following website:

http://www.gpb.org/salsa

Just click on Episodes on side bar, then clikc on a selection lsuch as Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Next select a specific episode and click on watch. I play them in the numerical order. The episodes are not listed in side bar in numerical order. The Salsa is a sesame like show but it is all in spanish and I think that older kids could find it very useful for beginning spanish. My ds tolerates it and even likes it even though he thinks he is too old for sesame street;)

There is also LiveMocha.com which offers free spanish lessons. It is similiar to rosetta stone. I recommend that a parent be present during use of this since occasionally you will get instant messages from other livemocha users to carry on conversations. I always just close the window with request for conversation. I have never seen anything objectionable on the site.

You can also use Tell Me More spanish program for free here:

http://arlingtonlibrary.org/research/tellmemore.aspx

I also have used Muzzy Spanish which is also available from our library and maybe your library. I think it is great and could be used for younger and older kids:)