Menu

so my 10 yo niece house guests tells my dd's this morning,

"You wouldn't have so many chores to do except you're homeschooled. I go to school and the chores are done before I get home."

:svengo:

I can just imagine how that conversation is going to go after they leave.

And to me last night, after she drooled over my numerous bookshelves, "Homeschool and public school are quite different. You don't learn things in the regular way. How do you learn?"

I haven't said a word to her or anyone about homeschooling or public schooling or nothing!!!!!

Edited by CalicoKat

So, did you answer her question about how learning happens? I'd also have gently, but firmly have explained to her that chores are simply a part of family life in your family, and have nothing to do with school. Delivered with a sweet smile. :D

Maybe try explaining that since homeschooling is so very much more time-efficient than public school is, there is time for children to grow in responsibilities of helping with the family tasks. Ask her [niece] what her helpful responsibilities are !

I wish someone had told my parents when I was growing up that kids are only supposed to have chores if they're homeschooled!

Either they would have let me homeschool, which would have been awesome, or I could have gotten out of chores!

:lol:

and they know it. They simply have more time in their day for a lot of things, and they are aware of that.

I'm not sure how your family functions, so YMMV but here, I think my kids do more housework than ANY of their friends and more than their PSed brother did because they are home and available. They also have more time for their beloved sports - and I mean a LOT more time.

I think when you waste less time, you have more time in which to do valuable things like contribute to the family, learn a sport, etc.

It wouldn't bother me at all if their nephew noticed that my kids have more chores and pointed it out. It's true, and I'm not going to apologize for it!

Hmmm...I wish my parents had let me out of chores because I was in ps lol. In high school I left at 6am for school across town and got home about 5pm. After 2 hours of home work I had chores to do. everyday.

It is simply a matter of being part of the family. My kids have had other kids say that sort of thing too though. After letting them know that they would still have chores and less time for extracirr. things they quit complaining. :D

PSd kids are also not home as much to mess the house up. My kids are like mini tornadoes.

Whew! So glad I'm not the only one!

That kid's in for a rude awakening when she leaves home. Ask me how I know.

*sigh* True, and I know for what are probably the same reasons. I struggle with housework daily. It does not come naturally, even after 17 years of caring for my own space.

It sounds like she is curious and just asking questions and making observations. Does your sister/brother agree with homeschooling? If not, then I am sure that your niece has picked up on this and is asking things to satisfy both her own curiousity as well as get a feel for why it is "bad" or what have you.

She may also be jealous. I thought that other kids would be rude to my sons about homeschooling - tell them they were nerds or something. But, in reality, most of the kids say, "OMG! I wish I was homeschooled" or something similar. I am not sure either of my kids have ever actually gotten a negative response from peers (we won't talk about the ignorant adults), to be honest.