Menu

Help Me Be Excited About An August Trip To Florida

Dh just found out that he has a week-long business trip to Altamonte Springs in mid August, and wants us to go with him. Now maybe it's just my age...turned 50 yesterday...maybe it's the lovely hot flashes I've been secretly experiencing...or the 10 hour drive to get there...maybe it's the prospect of liquidating most of our meager retirement funds for a boiling-hot day or two at Disney. I'm just not being very gracious. :tongue_smilie: Can someone tell me that I can do this, with a joyful attitude? I need a strategy. I need tips. So far, I just want to run away from the whole idea and hide in a nice, cool cave and read until September. :D

Thank you for your honesty. I was pretty certain it would be miserable. Please...other ideas that would be cooler? Less expensive but still a wonderful experience for the girls? We may never have another opportunity to go to Florida, so this will be important, to him especially. He truly wants to make us happy, which is why I feel so badly about my attitude.

The best place to go at Disney World in the heat of the day is Pirates of the Caribbean. It is a long wait inside a very air conditioned cavern. ;)

Good luck!

Wow- really? I remember standing outside at noon in what first appeared to be a fairly short line, only to discover that it snaked back & forth for nearly 50 minutes. (Granted, that was in about 1978. I was pretty young, and hadn't ever seen the corral kind of line...)

ETA: I didn't answer the question- is something beach-related a possibility, or is the trip specifically to Orlando?

I went to Florida in August with a friend several years back. It was hot, but we had a great time. We went to Epcot one day, and they had an area that misted water to cool you off. And a free Coca-Cola sampling station, with flavors from all over the world. That was neat. That was over 10 years ago, so I don't know if they have that particular thing now, but I'm sure there's other things... I carried a water bottle around with me at Epcot to cool myself down with--I wiped or poured water on my face and neck when needed. I refilled it from drinking fountains.

I am having to go on vacation to Florida in August. Mid August since that is when my dd is turning 16 and she needs to pass her DL test. In our case, Jacksonville is the destination and most of the vacation will be spent somewhere a bit less hot on the way home (even if very circuitously).

Having lived in Florida for the first 38 years of my life and going to Disney umpteen times, I agree that August will be WAY too hot and the lines WAY too long.

I would go to a water park instead. You don't have to go to the ones at Disney (Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon) - there are others down that way if you just do a search.

We are heading to Florida this Saturday to visit our extended family. I forget sometimes how hot and humid it can be down there - makes me glad to get back home to the NC mountains.

Well, my first 4 trips to DIsney were in August - i never knew any different. It made me want to move here :D (i'm not joking - i moved here for the weather!)

The water parks would be great though, and the beach, and everything else.

It it's your only chance to come, i'd come - people do actually plan return trips back during that time!

Yes, Florida is very hot in August.:tongue_smilie: Just do your best to stay cool, drink lots of water, wear comfortable clothes. If possible take a break at your hotel at mid-day and cool off in the pool, return to the parks in the evening.

The parks are buzy and it depends on which attractions your kids want to see but Epcot is generally less crowded than Magic Kingdom during the day. The back area where the countries around the world are showcased is less crowded and there are lots of spaces indoors, but I don't think it has any thrill rides (I could be wrong, it has been awhile).

I agree with the water park suggestions. There is also an awesome science museum (indoors = cool). Have fun.

My husband also travels on business and they only time I could swing going along was when my girls were little (5 and 7). We used to go to museums and dollar-movie theatres and hang out around the hotel pool. (We weren't in Orlando) The girls used to really enjoy it.

Epcot is generally less crowded than Magic Kingdom during the day. The back area where the countries around the world are showcased is less crowded and there are lots of spaces indoors, but I don't think it has any thrill rides (I could be wrong, it has been awhile).

The one ride I can remember at Epcot is inside the dome/ball thingy (what's that called?). It's a rollercoaster. I don't really care for rollercoasters, as they give me headaches, and this one is no different. It's all in the dark, with tiny little lights showing you where you're going (most of the time), so if you like rollercoasters, you'd like this one too. I think it's really neat, except for the headache it gave me.

Well, let me just start by saying that I don't do hot. I do not see any reason for it to be above 75 degrees. Ever. We go to Disney in November and December.

That said, I *love* Disney. And if this is truly your only chance to go, and if it would make DH happy . . .

I would consider it.

I'd make the most of early morning hours and evening hours.

We've been to FL in August. We went to the beach in the a.m., came home and napped/swam in pool in the afternoon, it rained everyday in the evening, if it wasn't still raining we went to the beach at night (my favorite time).

We haven't been to visit dh's father in 7 years!! We are planning to go this September, but I would have went June/July/August if that's all we could do. I love it and love vacationing with my family :) All the stress and everything :)

I don't think it was too hot in August. Not much more than the mid-west and a little less humidity ;) I don't know that I'd pay the money for Disney. We have not done that yet. I would love to but it's a lot. Maybe take the Disney money and go to the Dolphin Cove thing near there. Swimming with dolphins would be a more memorable experience than Disney and you'd be in the water not on hot pavement:D

Good luck, it'll be better than you expect, I'm sure.

I found that listening to the happiness of the kids helps alot when I don't wanna go! We drove 22 hours to Disney when our kids were 1, 2 and 6. It went well, but I really did not want to go lol. My dd was begging to go see the princesses, so we went because seeing her so happy made my day. It was sooooo worth it in the end!

The beach is awesome too! It is funny though, because the beach is only busy during the hottest parts of the day when I would never think to go. In the evening it is deserted and very nice. The downside is the sun goes down before 8pm (we are used to the sun being up past 9 in the summer).

While August is not our favorite time to visit Walt Disney World, we always manage to have a great time. Yes, it is HOT, yes, it is crowded (although the crowds lessen a little towards the end of the month when Florida schools go back in session), but there are steps you can take to make it more comfortable.

If you get to the park at or before opening, you can fit in more and swelter less. When you enter the park, grab fast-passes for one of the more popular rides, then head to another high-traffic attraction. Try to do the most popular rides/attractions before the park becomes over-the-top crowded.

Keep in mind that many attractions, including their queues, are air conditioned, as well as all the shops, restaurants, etc., If you feel like you need a longer break from the heat and crowds, you have several options: Have lunch at a sit-down restaurant (most require a reservation), or, if you are in the Magic Kingdom, you can take the monorail to one of the Disney resorts for lunch. All the monorail resorts have a choice of restaurants (sit-down and counter), and all have beautiful, spacious, and, most importantly, COOL, lobbies with big comfy chairs so you can relax and revive a little before heading back to the park. Even better, if you stay at Disney resort you can go back to your hotel during the heat of the day for a swim and/or nap.

In Epcot, all the attractions are indoors, and there are several wonderful sit-down and counter-service restaurants, so it's easy to stay cool and comfortable there.

The only park I prefer not to visit in August is Animal Kingdom. It is much more difficult to get out of the heat, as there are lots of outdoor attractions, plus, the walkways seem unbearably narrow when it's crowded. As much I enjoy this park, it's better left for cooler weather, imo.

Anyway, I think you can have an awesome time at Disney in August, as long everyone stays hydrated, you take frequent breaks, and you don't try to do everything in one day. We have visited in August 9 or 10 times in the last 13 years, and are looking forward to going again this year.

HTH!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I've decided today that I can make this work if I really want too...so deciding to get a tan on my face so I won't need any make up is a first step! :D If we adjust the kinds of clothes we usually wear, getting more cooler cotton and linen things, that may help a little, too. It's time that I started dancing in the rain!

The one ride I can remember at Epcot is inside the dome/ball thingy (what's that called?). It's a rollercoaster. I don't really care for rollercoasters, as they give me headaches, and this one is no different. It's all in the dark, with tiny little lights showing you where you're going (most of the time), so if you like rollercoasters, you'd like this one too. I think it's really neat, except for the headache it gave me.

The ride in Epcot is Spaceship Earth, but it's not a roller coaster; it's a slow moving ride that shows how communication technology has evolved.

I think you're thinking of Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom..it's a roller coaster in the dark. And it gives me a headache, too :001_smile:.

I'd go except for what you said about using up your retirement. If you weren't just being lighthearted about the retirement, then you shouldn't spend you money on a trip to Disney.

But if you were being lighthearted and aren't really going to have to eat cat food when you retire, then find WATER. No matter how hot it is, if you can dip your feet in water, you can bear it.