Menu

Math stories: Place value

skaterbabs

:iagree: this is a great place to look.

This is the only one I can think of at the moment and it may not be what you're looking for:http://www.amazon.com/Place-Zero-Math-Adventure/dp/1570916020/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246208972&sr=8-1

You could try using coins to illustrate. Let her have a pile of pennies, then exchange them for dimes, and exchange the dimes for dollars, then dollars for ten-dollars if you want to really extend the idea (and have pennies galore). (Pretend nickels, quarters, five-dollar bills don't exist. :))

We also have had success with base 10 blocks. I wouldn't use the linking blocks.

Good luck!

We've been using pennies and dimes, and it seems to help, but she doesn't quite "get" why she can't have ten pennies in the ones column. LOL To her, it's ten pennies, not one dime.

She just started CLE Math 102, so I know she has plenty of time, but I'd rather head any possibility of frustration off at the pass, so to speak.

Thanks for the book suggestions!

We've been using pennies and dimes, and it seems to help, but she doesn't quite "get" why she can't have ten pennies in the ones column. LOL To her, it's ten pennies, not one dime.

Actually, she can have ten pennies in the ones column. You do this when you borrow with subtraction. I really found the Miquon pages M9-12 (Green book) to be useful.

You can ask what's the least number of coins you can use to represent this many pennies? Say you give her 24 pennies. Ask how she can represent this with the least number of coins. Make it a challenge. So 2 dimes, 4 pennies is the least coins. If you want to extend it further, give 118 pennies, exchange for dimes, then dimes for dollars (can even get dollar coins to keep from going to bills). Maybe by making it a challenge/game she'll get the idea.

Using a place value chart with HUNDREDS, TENS, ONES and putting the coins in the correct place may help too. You can talk about the need for correct notation. If you have 2 dimes and 14 pennies but write it as 214, she won't know the correct amount of money. It could be 21 dimes and 4 pennies. No way to know - unless we make an agreement about place value and only allow one digit in each place.

My son wasn't getting it either. I wrote a two-digit number ending in nine and showed him how the nine fit nicely. Then I wrote a "two-digit" number ending in ten and showed him how the 1 and the zero didn't both "fit" in the ones place because I had to write them smaller and scrunch them together. I told him he had to bump the one over to the tens place and add it to the number there to make room so everyone wasn't crowded.

Then I illustrated the same principle with base-ten cards, showing him that when he added a tenth ones card to a pile, he could exchange the whole pile for a tens card, and I explained that that was the same as "making room" in the ones place.

I know this isn't a math story, but maybe it will help your daughter.

Tara

I just told my DD that you can only have 1 number in the ones column and if she made a 10 it was more than one number so the sneeky 1 had to go to his right home in the tens column. We also did a bunch of exchanging using bundles of popsticks (craftsticks) she would take her loose ones to the bank (a shoe box) and exchange them then put them in the right place. I think this really helped her understanding and she carries no worries.

http://www.teacherstorehouse.com/product2.asp?product_key=94216

What I did was started counting straws or various amounts in the ones pocket. After counting, he would put the correct number in the pocket above the straws. When I got to ten, I said, "oh, no, how do we put the 1 and 0 both in the pocket to make ten?". I then told him that groups of ten must live in the next pocket. We bundled them with a rubber band and moved them over then put the 1 above it and the 0 over the ones column where there were none. We kept it up and counted all the way past 100 in the same day. Now he is a "mathy" kid, but he got it in that one day.

Did that make sense? I hope it helps.

When we lived in TN several years ago, we loved these books. The whole series was available there, but very few here.

http://www.stuartjmurphy.com/

First of all - HI BECKY!!! :-) Nice to see you here! I've been away from the boards - living life mostly - but will be back more as the school year kicks in soon....

Anyway, I know you're talking about your 5yo here, so this will probably be no help. (but of course I'm compelled to say it anyway! ha!) There was an exercise in the SOTW AG on the Mayans (I believe), and how they used a base 20 system (presumably b/c we can count on our fingers AND toes??). My 2 olders (age 10 and 7) learned this concept and how to convert other numbers into a base 20 system. I saw some serious lightbulbs go off that day! And they were saying how "cool" that was! So maybe your little one is wondering why do we stop at 10? I suppose b/c we have 10 fingers, right? But we COULD stop at other numbers, in other base systems, right?

Anyway, there's my 2cents on that one! Hope you are doing well! We're enjoying the beginning of summer, and all of the activities that go along w/ it - camps and such. Have a good one!

- Stacey

How about the MUS Demo video with him explaining Decimal Street?.....it is about 8 min. 53 seconds into it

Video: http://www.mathusee.com/demo.html

Actual Lesson plan of Decimal Street:

http://www.mathusee.com/pdfs/primersample.pdf

I don't own Math-U-See, but I borrowed from this idea to show my children Decimal Street.

They occastionally ask me to retell the story of "Decimal Street"!

Christine

wife and mom to 4

Jena (3rd grade '09-'10)

Aodan (2nd grade '09-'10)

Espen (Pre-K)

Cormack (baby)

One of my ds hit a wall with place value this past year, and nothing I read, demonstrated (with beans or money) or told him seemed to help. Finally I ordered Developmental Math at the level that deals with place value, and HE GOT IT! Phew. Since doing that book he's returned to his regular math and feels like he's good at it, which was a nice change.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

How about the MUS Demo video with him explaining Decimal Street?.....it is about 8 min. 53 seconds into it

Video: http://www.mathusee.com/demo.html

Actual Lesson plan of Decimal Street:

http://www.mathusee.com/pdfs/primersample.pdf

I don't own Math-U-See, but I borrowed from this idea to show my children Decimal Street.

They occastionally ask me to retell the story of "Decimal Street"!

Christine

wife and mom to 4

Jena (3rd grade '09-'10)

Aodan (2nd grade '09-'10)

Espen (Pre-K)

Cormack (baby)

We use MathUSee. I love Decimal Street! :)

Math U See does decimal street with houses that only fit 9 of each thing. So 9 units fit into the units house, 9 tens fit into the tens house and 9 100s fit into the 100s house. The program even comes with a big poster sized paper with the houses already drawn in and the base 10 blocks fit in perfectly.

We also use Decimal Street. I made up a nice one on card with the houses just the right size. I've put clear tape below so we can use whiteboard markers to write the numbers we are building. I definitely think Decimal Street has worked for us. When the 10th unit wants to move in with the other 9 units they HAVE to move to the 10s house because there's just no room in the units house.