Menu

Has anyone tried Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent?

I was at a park the other day and the bugs were terrible. Someone lent me Repel brand eucalyptus spray and it worked great! It had a strong smell but I liked it...kind of minty, and not like the DEET sprays. She said she buys it at Sports Authority in the camping area.

Crocodile! works well for me (yes, the exclamation point is really in the name.) No deet, no citronella, no lemon scent, but you do smell a lot like peppermint. I'm a mosquito magnet, but if I cover all my exposed skin and just inside loose sleeves, the mosquitos leave me alone. It's made by Dancing Roots at http://www.dancingroots.com I buy it through our coop.

Our neighbor just recommended Swamp Buddy to us, after he used it (on himself and a bunch of kids) while chaperoning a youth group trip to St Simon's, and was really impressed. My littlest one is a mosquito-MAGNET, and while we've only used it a little so far, it seems to have made a big difference for her. It *does* have a scent, but it's a pleasant, natural scent, not an Off sort of scent...

Here's where I ordered ours:

http://www.stsimonsoutfitters.com/Swamp-Buddy--2-bottles-for-1000_p_0-278.html

They shipped within an hour of my order, and it came the next day.

I was at a park the other day and the bugs were terrible. Someone lent me Repel brand eucalyptus spray and it worked great! It had a strong smell but I liked it...kind of minty, and not like the DEET sprays. She said she buys it at Sports Authority in the camping area.

We purchased Repel at Target - seemed to work well for me!

Bite Blocker is very effective. I just got the BioUD spray because it's effective against ticks, and we are having a very.ticky.year. (BioUD is tomato based)

I don't care for their "Outdoor Extreme" one. It works fine but possesses a scent I can only identify as "depression-era soap" that doesn't fade at all. :ack2: The original just smells sort of herbal/floral, and the BioUD adds a sort of wintergreen scent to that, but it's not very strong (the scent) and fades into the background quickly.

I use Repel brand lemon eucalyptus and it works great! Does have a strong smell - spray it outside and downwind. Once it's on I don't mind the smell.

Lemon eucalyptus (this is not lemon and eucalyptus, but the lemon eucalyptus plant) is one of the few "natural" agents tested and approved by the CDC as being effective against mosquitoes and ticks - up to 6 hours in this case.

There have since been a few other "natural" agents tested as effective - the CDC site has them listed - but citronella is not one of them. (although I sometimes wonder if that's because all the citronella sprays I've seen have something like 5% or less citronella. Even the DEET sprays have more DEET in them than that - 10%- 30% usually. The lemon eucalyptus sprays have 40% lemon eucalyptus).

Angela,

The Bit Blocker BioUD spray on their website seems to be for spaying on clothes. Is that the one you are using? We are having a horrible problem with ticks this year on Long Island (as if our usual problem with ticks wasn't bad enough!) My ds was just diagnosed with lyme disease yesterday. My dog has lyme disease, I feel like we are all doomed.

Do you find the clothes spray enough to keep the ticks off or are you using something on the skin also?

Angela,

The Bit Blocker BioUD spray on their website seems to be for spaying on clothes. Is that the one you are using? We are having a horrible problem with ticks this year on Long Island (as if our usual problem with ticks wasn't bad enough!) My ds was just diagnosed with lyme disease yesterday. My dog has lyme disease, I feel like we are all doomed.

Do you find the clothes spray enough to keep the ticks off or are you using something on the skin also?

Yes. It's for skin and clothes (as opposed to the lotion that is only for skin, obviously) and I just spray it on the kids indiscriminately. (Their website is horrible, isn't it?) I just spritzed it on my dog's back, too, because she was snapping at mosquitoes hovering around her. She looked annoyed and walked away, but didn't feel compelled to roll in the dirt to get it off... I think she was just offended that I snuck up spritzed her.

The Outdoor Extreme (in the purple trigger bottle) also works really well for mosquitoes and ticks, I just hate the smell. That can also be used on dogs. (They also have stuff specifically for dogs and horses.)

I was just reading your thread about the Lyme. Thank goodness you saw that rash!

Thanks so much Angela

I'm going to order some now. It was so random that I happened to walk in his room as he was changing and saw the rash. Now everyone has to be strip searched before bed. It is a good thing my kids aren't modest!

Sorry for highjacking your thread OP. I am feeling rather frantic about these ticks and have lost all my internet manners.:blushing: