Menu

Need ITouch/IPhone app recommendations

My amazing brother gave me an ITouch for my 40th birthday, and I would really like some suggestions for fun apps to put on it. I don't play games, although I am not totally opposed to having a few on it. I don't have a GPS or camera on it, and have no idea where to start when looking at the bazillion apps out there. One thing I would love is a good application where I can read (or listen to) the Bible (preferably both OT and NT) on it, if there is such a thing.

Anyone have recommendations? Thank you!

I don't have an iTouch or an iPhone, but one of the coolest apps I've seen recently allows you to load your scan cards (library card, gym card, grocery card, etc). The thought of taking all those scan cards off of my keychain was almost enough to make me run out and buy the Touch! I believe it's one of the free apps, too.

PS - Happy Birthday!

I don't have an iTouch or an iPhone, but one of the coolest apps I've seen recently allows you to load your scan cards (library card, gym card, grocery card, etc). The thought of taking all those scan cards off of my keychain was almost enough to make me run out and buy the Touch! I believe it's one of the free apps, too.

PS - Happy Birthday!

That is so cool!

Your iPhone likely came with a camera and a "maps" button. The maps thing works like a GPS. I have the Olive Tree bible on mine. It's really easy to find the book/verse I'm looking for. I also have Facebook and Wordpress. I think it's really cool that I can blog from my iPhone :) I have a voice recorder app, air mouse (my iPhone can operate as a computer mouse), Remote (I can control my stereo and TV with the iPhone), eWallet (to keep track of my passwords), Google Earth, Open Table (for restaurant reservations) andd Scrabble.

Have fun!

I have a few that I like....

I use Kindle sometimes to read books so that I do not have to carry one with me.

I also use MyLite. It's a flashlight and I'm actually surprised at how many times it has come in handy!

LifeTimer is a good one that I use. It counts how long it has been since an activity. Like I use it for recording how long it has been since I've had a drs appt, or when my kids are sick and how long it has been since I last gave them Motrin. Or how long it has been since my car had an oil change, etc.

I use Facebook all the time.

As for games, I'm not big on them either, but I do have a few on mine for those times when I'm waiting somewhere and I'm super bored LOL. I've got Bounce On (kinda like Mario a bit), ShakeSpell (kinda like Boggle), and Tap Tap Revenge 2 (kinda like Guitar Hero).

I use Flixster to look at movie trailers, show times, upcoming releases, and upcoming DVD's. It's really convenient. I also use the Bible and The Weather Channel app. I use the Weather Channel for when I'm out and about and see a storm approaching. I use the Bible for my devotions each morning.

I have an app called iLove Travel: Packing that I use to make my packing lists whenever we go on a trip. And I use an app called Grocery Gadget to make all of my grocery shopping lists....super easy to check off each item when walking through the store.

For my kids I have the following apps (not sure how old yours are, but mine are 2 an 5):

Bubbles (make bubbles and pop them)

JirboMatch (a matching game)

Make A Martian (really cute game where you get to create your own alien)

Koi Pond (you can feed fish, watch them swim around, touch them, etc)

Scribble Lite (free drawing app)

Finger Piano Lite (play a piano app)

Tapping Zoo (tap each animal to hear their sound)

Wheels on the Bus (goes through the song and you can tap things to see what they do).

DressChica (you dress a chicken in different clothes)

Okay, I think that's about all my favs LOL

Congrats and Happy Birthday!!!

I had hoped i'd get one for my 40th since my iPod had broken... alas, not.

Trace is a cool FREE physics type game that the kids enjoyed playing when we borrowed my Dad's. Appshopper.com is good for checking prices and you can read everything that is on iTunes, and search. Splash Shopper and the desktop seemed good for shopping & lists. I didn't get to get it all working while i borrowed Dad's though.

My amazing brother gave me an ITouch for my 40th birthday, and I would really like some suggestions for fun apps to put on it. I don't play games, although I am not totally opposed to having a few on it. I don't have a GPS or camera on it, and have no idea where to start when looking at the bazillion apps out there. One thing I would love is a good application where I can read (or listen to) the Bible (preferably both OT and NT) on it, if there is such a thing.

Anyone have recommendations? Thank you!

I have the iPod Touch too... no camera, no gps. You can sort of pinpoint your location on google maps using some kind of IP address triangulation. (I don't know how that works; just mentioning something I read in passing.) It does have bluetooth which just got enabled with the latest 3.0 update. Yippee!

So here are my favorite apps for the Touch:

Skype (You can actually make phone calls from your Touch using VOIP!! This requires a headset with mic. Works great; very, very cool.)

Kindle

Stanza

Classics (books)

Facebook

Sparkpeople

Amazon shopping cart

Google Mobile apps (all neatly arranged in one tidy app)

Just downloaded but haven't used yet:

Pandora

With your Touch, you can sync your gmail and google calendar pretty easily so that you can use the native apps that come with the Touch instead of having to go online via wifi to get to your email and calendar. (If you use gmail/google.) Of course it won't sync/download unless you're connected, but you can still view everything you downloaded previously. It's handy for checking your calendar while you're out!

Because my household is going all Mac- and sometime next year we plan to have iPhones, I think I will probably pay for MobileMe to sync everything. You CAN do it for free with Google... but I like the parental controls on the MacBooks for the kids. :001_smile: So I think we'll use all the Mac apps and MobileMe to sync.

If you have a Mac and use iWork, they are developing an app which will allow you to download spreadsheets and such from MobileMe to view on your Touch or iPhone. I can't wait for that one!!

I love these threads!! Can't wait to check out all the other recommendations!

I should be getting my iPhone on Monday. A question about the Kindle app....do you actually have to own a real Kindle to use it? How does it work?

Nope, you don't have to own a Kindle to use it. You create a Kindle account at Amazon and register your iPhone as a device on that account.

It's handy... but the backlit screen hurts my eyes if I read too long on the Touch. For sustained reading I much prefer the Kindle. But it's awesome to read a bit here and there on the Touch while I'm out. :)

Here's the Amazon page w/info.

I like AccuFuel. Every time I fill up, I enter the mileage and gallons (and optional price). It calculates the MPG, and shows a chart of all my previous entries. It will keep track of several vehicles.

For kids' games, my ds likes Rolando. My little dd likes KidDraw. I like having Solitaire on there for short waits. And, I like having Ms. PacMan (a left-over kick from the old days).

SpinCalc is good for demonstrating arithmetic concepts because it gives a graphic representation of what you're doing. Especially good for multiplication.

These are all free apps (except Rolando and Ms. PacMan). I need to get some more, but I haven't had time to look. I appreciate your question. I need to check out some of these suggestions!

I should be getting my iPhone on Monday. A question about the Kindle app....do you actually have to own a real Kindle to use it? How does it work?

to have a black background and white letters which reduces eye strain. You can also download Project Gutenberg books for free on Kindle AND ipod touch/phone.

I have the Bible, You Version, which has many different translations. You can set it to the one of your preference. Once I open that app, I can touch Daily Read for the day's reading or I can search for a specific passage. You can bookmark verses. Matthew Henry is linked as a commentary too.

Facebook

The Weather Channel

Amazon

Cheap Gas!

Twitter Fon

Alarm Lite

Wal Mart, I love that you can search by store to see if a certain item is available

White Noise, nice sounds to go to sleep by

Craigsphone (Craig's list for mobile phone)

Faith's Check Book, daily Charles Spurgeon

Dictionary

readings

eBay

Birthdays

Bible Hangman

AP Mobile (news)

APOD (NASA photo of the day

My particular bank's mobile website

AT & T wireless, my mobile account

iheart radio

Sleepmaker, another app to go to sleep by

AOL radio

Pandora

Book Search (to find best price on a book)

White Pages

Word Warp

ShopShop (grocery store list) You can have lists for different stores

Doodle Kids, cool designs

Fox News, mobile

FMC (tracks menstrual cycle including fertile days)

Tetris

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Lite

Ms. Pac Man

Pac Man

NY Times

Get MMS for sending photos

Google

Hangman

What's on?

Lose It (weight loss and nutrition)

NPR

My local newspaper's mobile site

For the children:

Penguin Lite

Doodle Kids

iBowl

iTalk

Stanza

Shazam (can tell you the title of songs playing on your radio)

Scramble

RepairPal

Yellow Pages

Pocket Phonics

Pop Math

Math Drill Lite

Basic Math

RolandoLite

ESPN

FSS Hockey

Dress Your Princess

Falling Balls

Bounce on Lite

Hammer Tap

Cannon Game

Bubble Wrap

Spell it Lite

Basic Math

State Quiz

Tic Tac Toe

Capital Quiz

Tap Tap Revenge

Arithmetic

The States

Most of my apps are free and fun!

The children want the paid version of some of the games but I'll only buy them one every 4 or 5 months unless they pay for them with their own money. :)

Edited by Karen FL
Changed a word from singular to plural. :)