Menu

Catholics

If I called the rectory would the priest talk to me or should I wait and call during business hours and make an appointment? The church answering machine said "Sacramental Emergencies only" but I am not sure what that means.

I really want to talk to someone right now and I don't know my parish priest.

If I called the rectory would the priest talk to me or should I wait and call during business hours and make an appointment? The church answering machine said "Sacramental Emergencies only" but I am not sure what that means.

I really want to talk to someone right now and I don't know my parish priest.

Probably depends on your priest/parish. In my parish, "Sacramental Emergencies" would translate to "Someone's dying unexpectedly. Quick -- someone get a priest."

[speaking very gently here because I don't know your whole situation & don't wish to add unintentional insult to any injury]If you feel you need a priest for YOU so you don't do something...um...rash, go ahead and call. That would qualify as an emergency, in my [admittedly limited] book.

:grouphug:

In our parish, I wouldn't. In fact, I would probably try one of our Deacons first, during business hours. Our parish is very, very large (mega parish), and unless you're extremely active in different ministries, our priests wouldn't even know you most likely.

Every parish is different though. Just my experience.

ETA: I think my response sounded terse and unsympathetic. I'm not; just biased. The night my dad was in intensive care and, according to the dr's, dying, I couldn't get a priest at all. The chaplain (not Catholic) of the hospital came, sat and prayed with us. I appreciated that so much. Then, when my dh's sister was dying, my in-laws couldn't get a priest. Busy. Anyway, that's why I suggested a Deacon; in my experience, they have been more open and available.

Janet

Edited by Ishki

In our parish, I wouldn't. In fact, I would probably try one of our Deacons first, during business hours. Our parish is very, very large (mega parish), and unless you're extremely active in different ministries, our priests wouldn't even know you most likely.

Every parish is different though. Just my experience.

ETA: I think my response sounded terse and unsympathetic. I'm not; just biased. The night my dad was in intensive care and, according to the dr's, dying, I couldn't get a priest at all. The chaplain (not Catholic) of the hospital came, sat and prayed with us. I appreciated that so much. Then, when my dh's sister was dying, my in-laws couldn't get a priest. Busy. Anyway, that's why I suggested a Deacon; in my experience, they have been more open and available.

Janet

Do you mean that I shouldn't talk to a priest at all? I didn't even know that the Church had deacons. What do they do?

Please go ahead and call or call one of the Deacons if need be. It is unfortunate that this is a message board that means many of us are not close enough in physical proximity to come to your aid. Know that many, if not all ,would be at your door now if needed.

Do you mean that I shouldn't talk to a priest at all? I didn't even know that the Church had deacons. What do they do?

Yes, the church has deacons. The Permanent Deaconite. Our parish has two priests and four deacons. The assist at Mass, conduct communion services, give homilies, marry and baptize, counsel, etc.

I certainly didn't mean you shouldn't talk to a priest. I was just giving my experience, especially outside normal hours. That's just my experience. I really didn't mean to make this worse. If you called the parish's emergency number, if the priest is busy, they could give you a number for a deacon or some type of lay assistant that could help you. If you feel you need someone right now, please do call.

You're in my prayers.

Janet

Please go ahead and call or call one of the Deacons if need be. It is unfortunate that this is a message board that means many of us are not close enough in physical proximity to come to your aid. Know that many, if not all ,would be at your door now if needed.

No, no, I am okay. Don't worry about me. There isn't really anything a priest could do right now anyway. I am going to try and find a babysitter and go to confession tomorrow.

Probably depends on your priest/parish. In my parish, "Sacramental Emergencies" would translate to "Someone's dying unexpectedly. Quick -- someone get a priest."

[speaking very gently here because I don't know your whole situation & don't wish to add unintentional insult to any injury]If you feel you need a priest for YOU so you don't do something...um...rash, go ahead and call. That would qualify as an emergency, in my [admittedly limited] book.

ACCCKKK! I didn't answer the second part of your post and I gave the wrong impression. I am not sucidal!

I didn't even know that the Church had deacons. What do they do?

For men who are on the road to priesthood, there is a step where they are ordained as transitional deacons. In addition, men who have taken other roads in life (i.e. marriage, family, other career) may be ordained as permanent deacons after a period of education and reflection (not sure of the specifics, but that's not really the point anyway...)

Deacons are authorized to perform some of the duties of a priest, but not all. Permanent deacons are assigned to some parishes to help with the "workload"- they can perform baptisms, give the homily (sermon) at Mass, and other things like that. Transitional deacons are often assigned to a parish, especially during the summer break from academic studies, to gain experience and also to help out.

Do you mean that I shouldn't talk to a priest at all?

I don't think that's it at all- and I think most priests would want to be able to counsel anyone who feels like, "I need to talk to a priest." At the same time, they are stretched very thin, and may have other obligations as well.

(I was going to say that on a Saturday afternoon, they've probably already done at least one wedding, and still have confessions to hear before 5:30 Mass. But- there aren't often a lot of people there for confession, and that might be a good time to make an initial contact, if it's something that can't or shouldn't wait for a call to the office on Monday.)

Thanks, I've learned something new.

I am having a very rough time of it and was just going to call the rectory and speak with a priest. I am glad I didn't because a less than welcoming attitude would have made me worse. I always thought that people can always talk to a priest - good to know this is not the case.

And sorry if I caused any worry - wasn't my intention.

I post mostly on the high school message board, but remember reading your posts over here since my family has gone through very hard times with our business. Ours hasn't folded yet and hopefully won't, but I may know some of what you feel (although I have much less stress than what I know you've been through). At my hardest point I did talk to our associate pastor (I'm not Catholic), a woman who was also trained in counseling. She was my God send. It really helped. She gave me specific strategies on how to cope.

I just write to tell you that I hope a priest will be able to give you the same kind of help. If not, please ask your friends if any of their pastors are good with counseling and see if they will see you free of charge. I hope and pray for the best for you :grouphug:

Another thought that comes to mind. It is sometimes too hard to be the "strong" one. Is there anyone you can call to come be with you. If it were me I'd want my mom to come take care of my kids so I could go in my room and cry or whatever else might purge it from my system, then I'd just want someone understanding to be there.

I have, several times in several different states, just called the rectory and spoken with a priest. I've never had any trouble. In one case, the church had four Masses each Sunday (tells a bit about size?) and only one priest. In the other case, it was a town of nearly 100K people and about six Catholic churches.

I bet I'd just throw caution to the wind and call. Or show up during confession hours. That's probably going to be a good time.

Some of this depends on the priest. Two priests ago, we had a priest I could have called at 3 a.m., and instead of letting me apologize for waking him, he would have apologized for not being awake when I needed him. My current priest, not so much. And priests now are just spread so thin.

If it can wait, I would try to catch him after Mass this weekend or call on Monday and make an appointment to come in or do a telephone conference. If you feel like you want to talk to a priest, you should talk to a priest. It is just all in the timing.

Confession tomorrow is also a great idea. I wish we were closer and could help and support you better.

Prayers and best wishes!

Another thought that comes to mind. It is sometimes too hard to be the "strong" one. Is there anyone you can call to come be with you. If it were me I'd want my mom to come take care of my kids so I could go in my room and cry or whatever else might purge it from my system, then I'd just want someone understanding to be there.

My mother was here for several weeks and I think while she was here I tried to hold it all in. Now that she is gone I can relax and let the emotion go. Unforunately, this is not good for me or my dc.

If I could give up all this worry and responsibility to someone else, I would (as long as they did it legally, ethically, and actually did something - no head in the sand allowed!)

ACCCKKK! I didn't answer the second part of your post and I gave the wrong impression. I am not sucidal!

Well, I really didn't think you were based on reading your posts, but just wanted to throw the thought out there that if you felt this was a true spiritual emergency to go ahead and call the rectory. I'm very sorry if I added any stress or anything to your already stressful time right now.

As others have said consider trying Confession before the Vigil Mass tomorrow. I hope you find some solace soon.