Menu

Help me dress/skirt shop

I am trying to be more feminine. DH has always hated dresses (so he has stated over and over) but I noticed that everytime I wear a dress or a skirt, he compliments me. However, I also do not wear anything he would consider "frumpy". I try not to wear anything real low cut (and that is hard because my girls are large). I do not wear tight either. I am plus sized, which makes it even harder.

Sooooo, I want to start wearing dresses or skirts on a regular basis. Any suggestions of where to shop? Mostly what I am finding is either frumpy or too dressy for at home every day wear.

If you sew, even a little bit, check out Butterick Fast & Easy pattern #B4136. I saw this skirt made up in a fabric store yesterday, and the clerk assured me it was indeed "fast & easy." It was really cute, and I think it would be flattering to a variety of body sizes.

LauraD in MN

I am not sure what size you are but have to tried sports apparel? There is company I like that has links to apparel for the more "traditionally built" female athlete.

It's SkirtSports.com. The site has links to where you can find their apparel. SkirtSports may not have the sizes or styles you need but they have a link to a couple of companies that carry other lines.

Sports apparel has cute, functional skirts.

http://www.lilaplus.com/

www.athleta.com is another good one.

I have great luck at Land's End. Everything can be very flattering and at nearly any length. I also can shop online and get anything that's wearing out replaced and sent to the house. Did I mention I HATE to shop? Their prices are great and the clothes last forever.

I rarely go shopping, but have found that I tend to actually do best in places such as Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, TJ Max. I do not go alone with children in tow, though. The skirt I am wearing today is from Burlington. Nice flowy casual summer skirt. I think it was $15.

REI has great semi-casual clothing for active women. Caveat--they only go up to size 18 or XL, so we plus-sized women have some challenges. But they have in their own label a really cute dress, quick dry, washable, breathable, in teal or black, that I just bought myself. I'm usually an XXL, but their XL fit me very well.

Another place is CABI--they have great flowy skirts that are reversible, so they don't stick to your legs, they are not see-through, and each one makes 2 completely different outfits. Again, they only go up to XL, but I can wear their skirts in that size.

I love their skirts and dresses and they fit nicely .They are kinda bright , happy clothes but not frmpy in my estimation. Their sales are fabulous as well! http://ullapopken.com/default.asp?sid=pmd_google&eid=gl21180S58025870&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand&gclid=CLDWzqSmqZsCFQ4MDQodWCAtCg&bhcd2=1246065970 They have a sale now so it is a good time to shop!