Menu

When can children start doing independant work?

Mom to 3+1

My kids are 7 almost 8, can I start assigning (at the beginning of the day) their math or some other workbook type lesson that they can be responsible for completing at some point during the school day. I want to develop this skill and i don't know when to start. I don't want to set unreasonable expectations yet either. Laura

It depends on the child. My oldest was 8 or 9 before he could complete more than 2 problems of any subject without me nearby and now at 12 does nearly all independently. My ds6 and dd8 work off a list doing some independent (like writing spelling words) and calling me when they get to others (like math). My dd8 can even read and FOLLOW directions (most of the time) independently. But when my oldest was their age it was "write the next letter, the next letter is 'C', write it!" constantly all day. But then he flipped a switch and there is was, independence.

My dd11 was independent in her studies from the day I pulled her out of ps in the 4th grade. She was independent w/ homework from the beginning! My ds9 still needs me to "sit in his lap" or he'll take 4 hours on 2 math problems :eek: He's NOT independent AT ALL. Drives me crazy. Ds8...much like dd11. I can give him the list of what he is to complete each morning (we all do the "core" subjects in the am) and 9 times out of 10, he'll have it done w/out my even checking. This week has been the exception...we're all feeling a bit "burned out". Anyway, it does depend on the child and no matter how hard you push them to be independent...won't work unless they are ready. I've tried rewards, incentives, etc. with ds9 and unless I'm RIGHT THERE...the work does not get done (some days he'll surprise me, but usually not). 7 and 8 is young, IMHO. Try something "easy" like handwriting or phonics (if you do phonics) to start with. Then add more and see how they do.

My dd7 does "table time" every day by herself. I am nearby or working with my 4yr. old so I am available to answer questions, however she is supposed to *try* to complete the work independently. 99% of the time she does. The subjects included in her table time are:

Horizons Math 2, ETC 6, GWG 2, Cursive Practice, PLL, Simply Spelling and review of Latin flashcards. This work usually takes her about 1 - 1.5 hours each morning. When she's completed these subjects she goes to her room for silent reading for half an hour. Then, I do Latin with her (as I'm learning it too!) and I sit with her during writing (IEW). After lunch we do a different subject together each day: history, geography, art, music & science.

Independence is an important skill to develop. I have chosen not to work on that skill using lessons in foundational skills (math, reading, writing.) I think math is just too important to trust dc to learn it on their own at a young age. My dc are assigned the problems to do on their own after I teach the lesson, but only after I am sure they understand tht day's concepts.

I am schooling a 6 year old (7 in May) and he does work independently quite well. This is what we do.

In the morning he does his handwriting all on his own after he is dressed, etc. (he does fine with formation now)

When it is time for the academics, we have what I call a meeting, and this is what it looks like:

1) Read Aloud to Mom

2) Go over any corrections together

3) Do a few drills in math

4) I dictate spelling words

5) Teach new concepts, explain that days lesson, do a few together (each subject - math, phonics, language)

Then he does his seatwork, simply asking questions if he needs.

I have been working on this for the past 3 weeks because I am adding 3 more children to our homeschool. When I am schooling 4 (with an active preschooler underfoot) I feel it will be beneficial to all of us if I have a meeting with each child seperately and then put them to work.

The other three that I am adding are: 9, 11, and 12

I predict that the 11 and 12 will do great with meetings and then independent work right off the bat. However, I also predict that my 9 yr old is going to need more one on one time than my 6 yr does for our first year as she is having problems with math, spelling and reading.

The meetings give me a good 30-45 mins with each child one on one. I can also best know each individual child's needs and they will enjoy having me to themselves. ;) But this way of doing things, IMO, will really enable me to give anyone who needs EXTRA attention from me the time they need.

So, that said, yes! I do think that being able to work independently is not only a good skill to hone, but can be needful if you have lots of children. :D I think it will vary with children as far as WHEN they can actually do this, however, I also think that if we gently strive and train for it, that most can.

Well, we sit down somewhere (and that varies; this winter it's been on my big bed, LOL) for the day and I go through my son's lessons orally and leave him to do the written work while I tidy up, start supper, get a shower, etc., etc. I check in with him, answer questions, keep an eye out that loitering is not occurring, etc. He was able to do this last year, at age 8, too. I think my older son was able to begin doing that at about age 9, but he was more prone to daydream, so I had to watch him more closely and refocus him more often.

Regena