Menu

Kitchen Appliances

Okay, I don't really know how to ask what I want to know . . . What kitchen appliances do you find absolutely essential for doing things yourself?

What got me started thinking of this was another thread where someone said she gets a great deal on peppercorns and grinds her own pepper. I just recently purchased a juicer and told dh I wanted to look for a blender before long. I really like pepper, but I have never thought of grinding my own.

So, if you had to list which kitchen appliances are absolutely essential, what would they be? (I hope this question makes some sense:tongue_smilie:)

Okay, I don't really know how to ask what I want to know . . . What kitchen appliances do you find absolutely essential for doing things yourself?

What got me started thinking of this was another thread where someone said she gets a great deal on peppercorns and grinds her own pepper. I just recently purchased a juicer and told dh I wanted to look for a blender before long. I really like pepper, but I have never thought of grinding my own.

So, if you had to list which kitchen appliances are absolutely essential, what would they be? (I hope this question makes some sense:tongue_smilie:)

Well, essential? I am not sure any of my favorite are essential. I think about how my mom did things and I should feel like I have it made in the shade.:001_smile:

BUT I have some that I would really miss if I didn't have them. The one I use the most, like at least twice a day is my Bamix

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bamix.aspx

The other most used is my Electrolux mixer.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/magic_mill_dlx_mixer.aspx

I got a blender and food processor with it and I use one of them several time a week.

I have others that I use now and then but these two are used a lot.

It very much depends on your style of eating, I think.

I love my:

paring knife

boiler (soup sized pot)

electric grain mill

tortilla press

Mason jars

Gas stove

Microwave, even though I know they are bad!

Coffee grinder (I don't use it often, but I love having it there to grind nuts and seeds)

Fine sieve

On my wish list:

A soy milk maker (to make anything except soy milk, lol)

A dehydrator

A good juicer since mine is so crappy I don't use it.

The toaster and electric jug get used nearly every day too.

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

The champion juicer might be the one I wanted, actually... Oh how I love kitchen gadgets, and trying to be more raw foodie really encourages it :D As if I need excuses.

Electric jug/ kettle, the thing that looks like a jug and plugs into the wall instead of sitting on the hotplates like your grandma used to do.

Ah, dialect differences!

:)

Rosie

My favs:

Tied for #1. In the I can't -live without -it category ( I have been known to take them with me when I travel. ;) ) is my perfectly balanced chef's knife that I have had for 20 years, and my large All Clad skillet with cover.

#2. Enamel cast iron dutch cooker (goes in oven, on stove, on grill etc). Good for soups, stews, roasting whole chickens and more.

Worker dog honorable mention, and glad to have it as it makes nice crushed ice for drinks :D but also grinds weat berries into flour: VitaMix

Everything else might be fun, but as I could live without my Kitchenaid Mixer for example, I could not manage without my skillet or knife. In a pinch, my skillet could be used to boil pasta. So, in the end, even the dutch oven is expendable.

That's pretty much it.

I love my 4 different sized cast iron frypans, my 3 stainless steel saucepans, my stainless steel pressure cooker.

Like Rosie, an electric jug/kettle for boiling water. Toaster.

Sharp knives.

A stick blender- this is one of my most useful and favourite items- for blending soup.

A glass blender for smoothies.

An electric hand mixer- I have a heavy stand mixer but its so heavy to get out of the cupboard I rarely do- but I use my hand mixer for whipping cream or eggs regularly, and its easy to wash.

An Oscar juicer- which is like the Champion only better :)

http://www.oscar-living-juicer.com/

It also minces, crushes nuts, makes pasta.

I want a grain mill and a dehydrator. Oh, and I rilly, rilly want one of these:

http://www.thermomix.com.au/

1. My KitchenAid heavy duty stand mixer

2. My Henckels knives...chopping and slicing is so much easier when you aren't afraid of a dull knife slipping

3. Dutch oven for stews, sauces, pasta, baking crusty bread...everything!!!

4. The gas grill...it saves us in summer in Very Hot Almost Mexico! We can eat hot food without heating up the house.

5. The coffee maker. "A morning without coffee is sleep" (the quote on a pair of my "Sock Guy" brand socks)

It has had new parts like cords and even brushes but this time it sort of exploded out the front and we arent sure we can put it back together. Only the bread dough was injured with bits of an oily dried substance coming from the release of the part holding the bread hook on.

Can I live without it is a real question for me right now and I am not sure. I have a cuisinart, coffee maker, electric kettle and dutch oven on the list of essentials already. I do have one great knife ( never thought of traveling with it!).

I have a lovely large pottery bowl for bread making in but I miss the just turning on the kneading cycle..

Another problem is that almost no one wants to ship over here.

I have been haunting ebay.

I have almost more nice memories of growing up and learning to bake with my mother's Kitchenaid than with my mother actually there. It could be an imprinting thing.:001_huh:

stand mixer

hand mixer

blender (use to puree pumpkin)

quesadilla maker (kids use daily, which surprised me)

toaster

3 cup food chopper (onions, peppers, breadcrumbs)

food processor

electric knife (great for slicing ham, turkey, roasts, and bread)

drink mixer (for milkshakes - DH loves this)

crock pot

pressure cooker

microwave

toaster oven (rarely use)

portable oven (rarely use - it's like a double decker toaster oven that is a convection oven)

George Foreman grill (rarely use)

Electric skillet (rarely use)

Ice-cream maker (never used -- but I may take it with us, just in case)

Electric kettle (used when we go camping)

The items that are rarely used are not making the move with us because they are basically clutter. I gave my bread machine to Salvation Army because I enjoy making bread the old fashioned way.

I would like to have a knife sharpener, a grain mill, a pressure canner, an immersion blender, and a vacuum food sealer, but only if I were sure I would use them frequently.

Edited by RoughCollie

A great set of knives

An immersion hand blender

A good regular blender with a glass pitcher.

A food processor (I just bought a Braun and it's SO quiet!)

A stand mixer.

Silicone baking sheets.

Wooden cooking utensils. (They hold up well, are sturdy, and will not scratch up non-stick surfaces)

And my kids would say a Sandwich toaster and waffle maker :D