Menu

If you have a math lab of sorts in your home

plain jane

Could you please give me more details on how you use it? I have a vast array of math manipulatives and I would like to make them more accessible to the dc. I had planned to set up a corner of the schoolroom where all the math manipulatives would be within easy reach, along with as many living math books as I can get my hands on. Thing is, I'm not sure where to go from there. :001_huh: Do I schedule time for each child to sit at the desk and be creative with whatever strikes their fancy at the time? Do I simply make it available to them and hope they want to go and sit there in their spare time.;) I'd sure like to hear how some of you have made your math labs a success in your home.

I think it would be fun to give them a daily challenge...take a problem from their math...review concept...and have them build it in some way. Most kids would not likely know where to start without a little nudge in the right direction.

I might tell my ds6, "show me 8+7" and then show me other ways to find the same sum. He could choose to use c.rods, linking cubes, counting chips, draw 8 circles and 7 triangles....he could use dominoes (and find other dominoes with the same sum.....the possibilities are endless.

I think CWP would be a good source of daily challenges. (as soon my littles are able to refrain from dumping all my math manipulatives everywhere...:glare:), I plan on giving them each a word problem to work in a "math lab" atmosphere. I might copy them on 3x5 cards and put them in a bucket, and let ds choose his problem that way.

(Now, to figure out how to make the manipulatives open to ds6 but keep them out of reach of ds3???????:confused:)

Just got to say, when I first read this I thought it "if you have a meth lab in your home".... :lol:

Sorry, no real answer for you.

I was about to post the same thing...

I really need to stay out of inner city living...

a

Just got to say, when I first read this I thought it "if you have a meth lab in your home".... :lol:

Sorry, no real answer for you.

I was about to post the same thing...

I really need to stay out of inner city living...

a

:001_tt2: That would have been a post for the Parent's Forum, not the K-8. :001_tt2:

There was a blog linked here some time ago that has the coolest ever Montessori-esque (I think) math center. Oh, it is lovely. I wonder if someone will have the link or remember the mom? She might be a WTMer.

I remember this link being shared a while back. I was just looking for more ideas and inspiration. :) This one looks great! Anybody else have some great links to share??

I remember this link being shared a while back. I was just looking for more ideas and inspiration. :) This one looks great! Anybody else have some great links to share??

It does look great. It's not the one I remember, though.

The home I remember had lots of natural wood items, and the math center had a special low table that held beautiful manipulatives. I remember the mom had some daily routine with the math lessons that she explained.

Since my children are older, I didn't bookmark the link. Shoot.

It does look great. It's not the one I remember, though.

The home I remember had lots of natural wood items, and the math center had a special low table that held beautiful manipulatives. I remember the mom had some daily routine with the math lessons that she explained.

Since my children are older, I didn't bookmark the link. Shoot.

Ok, now you are just teasing me. :tongue_smilie::lol: Hopefully she will see this thread and post a link!

Here's pictures of something I found with an idea for math tubs.

http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/math_tubs.html

I'm thinking of making tubs for different subjects (math, phonics, grammar, etc.) I would try to change out the manipulatives or games periodically.

I'm rearranging things this summer for school next year. I'm adding 2 short bookcases next to my kitchen table. I'm thinking of designating one shelf for the tubs.

Right now I can't keep my ds away from the unifix cubes and counting bears. He has built with the cubes for the last month, and arranges the bears all over like they are soldiers fighting. Math manipulatives, not just for math anymore!

When we moved into our currrent house I revamped my math lab and wrote a bit about what we do to encourage use of it:

http://fanningflame.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/the-new-and-improved-math-lab/

I think that a weekly "meeting" at the math lab is what has inspired the most use. During this time I explain any sheets that I've posted on the board, they are reminded of their daily challenge, and I explain a game or an activity.

I think a math lab can be a little overwhelming. Singling out one activity or game and clearly explaining how it works makes using the lab that much easier. The kids eventually find their favourites, but they're also being told about new ways to use the lab.