Menu

If I wanted some farm animals, would I be crazy?

I wish we lived on a farm! I wish we had some farm animals. I don't want anything in the house not even a dog or cat basically to protect our musical inst. I know crazy but if a dog chewed up our harp- I would scream and cry!

So what are a couple of animals we could have outdoors and how would we start this adventure? Would you start with chickens or what?

Ducks are my favorite. They are fun animals to have. Chickens are good too. We have goats, sheep, cattle, a hog, ducks, chickens and rabbits, pretty much everything. Rabbits are easy to raise for meat and taste delicious. Are you wanting to raise your own food?

We have been through a lot of trial and error. Feel free to ask questions about specific species.

Lisa

Edited by katemary63

Anne's got the idea: visit someone near you who has the animals you're considering. There's a lot more involved with mammals than with poultry. Chickens are easy. They practically take care of themselves -- just make sure they have a safe place to roost at night, clean water, and some layer pellets for the hens. They give you delicious eggs and, if you can let them free-range, a lot of entertainment. We love our chickens!

We have a cello over here (and a piano and a viola which isn't ever on the ground anyway) and our indoor dog never touches it. I don't think house dogs in general are a problem -- you just want to make sure you don't get a chewer (no puppies for sure).

-Kate

We have/have had ducks, chickens, guinea fowl, turkeys, peafowl, dairy goats, angora rabbits, and alpacas!

Edited by zaichiki
How COULD I have forgotten the ducks?!