Menu

Suggestions please-I can't do aerobic exercise

I have tried to do more aerobic types of exercises. But my own body seems determined to stop me. I have moderate asthma/allergies. I have a hypothyroid issue and I also have an inability to sweat. I also seem to have an inherited issue with my knees/joints. I can lift weights but aerobic exercise seems to be a problem for me. Sometimes it's my asthma or tiredness when my thyroid is acting funky. When I'm feeling ok, I start exercising but the inability to sweat makes me feel like I'm boiling inside my own skin. I have to stop because I feel as though I'll pass out. I worry that I can prevent the knee/joint issue if I exercised more. But I just don't know what to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I have my almost 10 yos who is special needs. I have to keep in shape because I must pick him up all day, everyday. I have 30 pounds that I gained before my hypothyroid issue was discovered. I would love to get rid of that weight. A lot is belly fat-yuck. I've done so many crunches and other abdominal exercises to no avail.

Could you walk? It wouldn't have to be super-fast, but an at-your-own-pace kind of thing. At least that way you're out there and moving. What about water aerobics? That way the sweating thing wouldn't be an issue. A lot of YMCAs offer water aerobics or swimming.

Good luck! Sorry about your medical problems :sad:

What about walking around the neighborhood. I think walking is one of the best forms of exercise. You can slowly increase your distance and speed as your heart gets in shape.

If that doesn't work try a beginning water aerobics class. The water resistance would help with strength training too.

What about bellydancing? I ordered this DVD and have only started to work through it. This DVD walks you through the steps slowly. I have exercise induced asthma and I like having something that I can do in the house.

I also have this in place of a stationary bike. I love riding my bike but many times I get too winded. With this I can do it a few minutes at a time.

Edited by elegantlion

Our local community center has water aerobics designed for folks who have joint problems and breathing issues. Water aerobics in general is a great form of exercise. The water makes the workouts easy on your joints. It is as difficult as you make it determined by how much you move in the water for resistance. Even just walking in the pool gives a better workout than walking down the street.

Try checking out this book from your library. It was recommended on the boards some time ago, and I began doing it. Slowly, I lost 10 lbs and went from being able to lift only a family-size soup can to a 15 pound dumbbell. I am fitter, stronger, and now able to walk 2 miles a day. (Before I started, it was a struggle to climbs stairs because of how weak I was!)

I highly recommend both the strength training and the simple-to-follow eating plan. The only thing I changed is that instead of crunches, I do 100's because it's supposed to work your abs without leaving a bump. :D

I suggest starting with yoga, pilates and water aerobics (you can do a gentle class and take breaks so you do not have breathing problems. Water aerobics is very gentle on joints.)

I suggest you start swimming laps--one or two before or after water aerobics class. Swimming is often recommended for persons with asthma, because it works on breath control. Go slow. Take a swimming or stroke correction class. We've had quite a few children with asthma come through our swim team and I've read about many elite swimmers who have asthma.

Walking, which is both gentle on the joints and weight bearing.

I suggest discussing this issue with your doctor. My son has some asthma issues here, and our doc was very clear about the fact that his condition should NOT limit his ability to participate in sports. He said if I ever felt that the current treatments were not working, I should bring my son in right away. There are many new ways to treat asthma.

He made me feel so confident about the whole issue. (I sure hope what you find out doesn't burst my bubble! :001_huh:)

I have tried to do more aerobic types of exercises. But my own body seems determined to stop me. I have moderate asthma/allergies. I have a hypothyroid issue and I also have an inability to sweat. I also seem to have an inherited issue with my knees/joints. I can lift weights but aerobic exercise seems to be a problem for me. Sometimes it's my asthma or tiredness when my thyroid is acting funky. When I'm feeling ok, I start exercising but the inability to sweat makes me feel like I'm boiling inside my own skin. I have to stop because I feel as though I'll pass out. [\quote]

Has your Dr. been able to treat the inability to sweat? If not, I would encourage you to consult him before starting any exercise program, as it sounds very dangerous.

If you've got the OK, consider chair aerobics. I first saw this as something for seniors with limited mobility, but it may fit the bill for you with your knees and also be something you can do at home.

http://www.chairaerobics.com/Chair_Aerobics_for_Everyone_Series.html

Sorry I haven't read these until now. Dh starting working on the computer and it was unavailable:glare: These are some great suggestions. We actually just put up our above ground pool. After it becomes less freezing, I'll be in it. I have discussed the not sweating thing with my doc. He doesn't have a suggestion and isn't concerned about it. I've always had this issue. My asthma is basically under control with daily meds. But when my allergies flare up, the asthma is worse. Aerobic exercise seems to aggravate it. I usually need to use my fast acting inhaler when I get winded.

I'll keep up with the weight lifting. Dh bought a weight system off of Craigslist. I'll start in the pool after it warms a little. I'll try to start walking the dog before everyone wakes up. He and I used to enjoy our walks together. I have some yoga dvds. I was using them about 2X a week. Then I started feeling poorly and I got off track.

I know that most of my health issues would improve with regular exercise. Maybe I need to go slower this time. I tend to be gung ho when exercising. I do well and then crash because my health issues interfere. I need to keep going slower for longer until I'm stronger.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've ordered some of the books/dvds from the library.

My asthma is basically under control with daily meds. But when my allergies flare up, the asthma is worse. Aerobic exercise seems to aggravate it. I usually need to use my fast acting inhaler when I get winded.

My dad has asthma and sometimes struggles with this. He said it takes time to rebuild lung capacity, especially when he has not been exercising regularly. Once he gets moving again and builds stamina, the dependence on the inhalers decreases.