Menu

Need quick answer for reporter-what about homeschoolers if parents don't offer extras

Hi,

I have to call a reporter back in a few minutes with a comment regarding homeschoolers who have parents who do not offer lots of enrichment activities and other extras.

My immediate thought was to comment that regarding any of the educational choices with which I am familiar, the higher the degree of parental involvement, the more successful the schooling will be. However, I feel that all the extras are not essential for a good homeschooling experience.

Any other great observations I could share?

Hi,

I have to call a reporter back in a few minutes with a comment regarding homeschoolers who have parents who do not offer lots of enrichment activities and other extras.

My immediate thought was to comment that regarding any of the educational choices with which I am familiar, the higher the degree of parental involvement, the more successful the schooling will be. However, I feel that all the extras are not essential for a good homeschooling experience.

Any other great observations I could share?

A less structured schedule allows time for children to explore their interests and pursue areas for which they are uniquely gifted.

Running around in cars, less time to discuss interesting topics around a well set table, and less time to think, are all negatives to overscheduling with "enrichment" activities.

Jo

First of all, define 'enrichment activities'. That will vary from person to person, family to family. To some, piano is 'enrichment', to others, its a normal part of school.

People get too caught up in labels. Personally, I'd stick with, "Being able to teach a child in a personal setting, to follow their passions, to tailor their education to their own personal strengths and weaknesses is such an enriching experience in and of itself that so called 'enrichment' activities tend to happen as a normal flow of the educational process, and not something that has to be deliberately planned and artificially implemented into the school year as more of an interruption as opposed to a natural flow of learning."

Many of the extras that parents offer now are relatively new to society. You can get many of the benefits of sports - even team sports - playing a game of softball in the backyard. Many talented parents can and do teach music - even an instrument. And the old-fashioned sing-a-long is a wonderful way to learn vocal skills. You don't have to spend money outside of the home to enjoy some of the extras of life.

First of all, define 'enrichment activities'. That will vary from person to person, family to family. To some, piano is 'enrichment', to others, its a normal part of school.

People get too caught up in labels. Personally, I'd stick with, "Being able to teach a child in a personal setting, to follow their passions, to tailor their education to their own personal strengths and weaknesses is such an enriching experience in and of itself that so called 'enrichment' activities tend to happen as a normal flow of the educational process, and not something that has to be deliberately planned and artificially implemented into the school year as more of an interruption as opposed to a natural flow of learning."

Yeah. What she said....better. :D

Many of the extras that parents offer now are relatively new to society. You can get many of the benefits of sports - even team sports - playing a game of softball in the backyard. Many talented parents can and do teach music - even an instrument. And the old-fashioned sing-a-long is a wonderful way to learn vocal skills. You don't have to spend money outside of the home to enjoy some of the extras of life.

There is a good angle: The cost savings. The environmental benefit can be pointed out too, if they are particularly disposed to such issues.

I'm afraid she wants me to address those parents who are not doing much of anything to provide a good education, not so much those who just don't like to do lots of outside activities.

Do you know of any personally? If you do, then say, "I'm personally aware of x# out of x# of homeschooling families who are not providing what I would consider to be an adequate education, and yes, *I* do believe that homeschooling is not for every family, as it is a rigorous and demanding undertaking." If you *don't* know of anyone like that, then say so. Simply state, "I'm sorry, but while I've heard rumour and anecdotal evidence of such families existing, I've never personally had any first hand experience of meeting one, so really cannot comment."

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like this reporter is trying to set you up to slam homeschoolers. I hope I am wrong.

There are a lot of parents who just ship their kids off to public school and are completely uninvolved and uninterested in the results. I know, because that is how I grew up. My mother darkened the doors once a year, to register us.

Many public schools don't offer much in the way of enrichment. When budget cuts come, things like art and music get slashed first.

I'm curious as to the slant of this article. Why are you being asked to comment on parents who "don't do much to ensure a quality education" for their children. What makes this reporter think this is the case?

Jeannie

I'm afraid she wants me to address those parents who are not doing much of anything to provide a good education, not so much those who just don't like to do lots of outside activities.

I would say something like,"I am aware that there are parents that don't provide their home school children a good education. I am also aware that there are ps teachers that don't provide the children a good education."

We each do what we feel is best for our child/children and should have the freedom to make that choice.

I wouldn't want to respond to a question like this. The reporter should search out a family that fits this profile and interview them. Asking you to speculate on another family's motivation sounds like a bit of a red herring.

It really depends on your definition of a good education and what is an extra. If you mean a strong focus on the basics (3 Rs, science and history) then if the parents do not provide the extras of the arts and physical education, I think it might be a shame but not a travesty. As someone else pointed out the govt. schools are often cutting the arts and physical education too.

If you mean that they don't even cover the basics then the reporter's question is misworded because that isn't "extra". In that case the parents would be guilty of educational neglect IF they are not encouraging the children to get the basics in other non-traditional ways (aka responsible unschooling).

If the parents are providing the basics but not FORMAL instruction in the arts of physical education while still encouraging the children to follow their passions and to be introduced to possible new passions, then I see nothing wrong with it.

I would also point out that there is a difference between organized activities outside the home- sports teams, music groups, art classes- and offering enrichment activities within the home. It is not necessary to *join* a group to be enriched.

Jo

:iagree:

Well, I know we homeschoolers can get defensive about the benefits of homeschooling even in a less than perfect environment, but my moderator has told me enough horror stories to make me realise there are some pretty bad cases out there. People who have absolutely no books in the house. No educational books either. No games. Just nothing. And then they are hostile to the moderator for doing her job. These people exist here, so I am sure they do over there too.

There are people who just dont have a clue about providing a good learning environment. It seems they often end up wanting to homeschool because of a bullying issue. They hear about homeschooling, but don't have a clue how to actually go about it because its just so out of range of their experience and lifestyle. And my moderator has told me that some people expect her to provide a program for their kids, like the distance learning program available to kids in the outback (but not available to city kids), but its not her job to do that.

So, ignorance prevails in some homes and I know some kids get really no benefit from being at home other than being away from the bullies- which is a benefit for sure.

What would I tell a reporter? Homeschooling is a big responsibility for the parent and it requires a committment to providing a learning environment of some descrption for the child, but that can take many forms. There will be some people out there who provide no learning environment at all, but the vast majority care deeply and do provide a rich learning environment.