Menu

Plimoth Plantation: how long?

The last time we went, we spent a couple of hours there. We left and went to the beach. Plimoth Plantation is interesting the first time you see it, but there isn't a lot there, compared to similar places I've been to. It's one of those places that, if you've been once, you never need to go again -- at least for me, it is. All the kids we took with us (3 families) were bored with it. I wasn't, but that's because I spent my time imagining myself living there back then and trying to get the kids on board with that.

If you go see Plymouth Rock, too, that will take about 1 minute.

The Mayflower replica in Plymouth may take you 1/2 an hour to go through, if you stretch it. It is pretty amazing how they crammed so many people on such a small ship. I mostly thought about how I was glad I wasn't one of them.

Plymouth is a nice town and there is plenty to do there. I love their slogan: America's Home Town.

If you get a chance to go to the Museum of Science in Boston, that can easily eat up the entire day. We've been there many times. We arrive when it opens, leave when it closes, and the kids complain every time that we are leaving too soon. No one, including the adults, gets bored there.

Edited by RoughCollie

Well, Plymouth Plantation is more fascinating than that to me and my kids. I'd say 3 hours on a lovely day. We went once and have been dying to go back. We engaged in conversations with the interpreters, had a picnic lunch and just really enjoyed walking around. The ship and rock did not take us long, but it was fun to have been aboard the Mayflower (tiny as it indeed is). I have also been to a great beach in Plymouth so there is probably more than one. Plymouth is a lovely town so it could be nice to meander around there and perhaps eat some fresh-caught seafood.

MOS is great. We go there constantly and spend a couple of hours at each visit. Duck Tours leave from there, but are wicked expensive.

The Mayflower replica in Plymouth may take you 1/2 an hour to go through, if you stretch it. It is pretty amazing how they crammed so many people on such a small ship. I mostly thought about how I was glad I wasn't one of them.

I agree, Plimoth Plantation will not take you all day....probably 3 hours at the most. And try not to go on a cold, wet New England day. (don't ask me how I know.)

I, too, enjoyed the Mayflower Replica, and couldn't believe how many people were on that ship. During our tour I learned they drank a good amount of beer throughout their journey, so maybe they were all so hammered during the voyage they didn't noticed their uncomfortable conditions? ;)

Well, Plymouth Plantation is more fascinating than that to me and my kids. I'd say 3 hours on a lovely day. We went once and have been dying to go back. We engaged in conversations with the interpreters, had a picnic lunch and just really enjoyed walking around. The ship and rock did not take us long, but it was fun to have been aboard the Mayflower (tiny as it indeed is). I have also been to a great beach in Plymouth so there is probably more than one. Plymouth is a lovely town so it could be nice to meander around there and perhaps eat some fresh-caught seafood.

MOS is great. We go there constantly and spend a couple of hours at each visit. Duck Tours leave from there, but are wicked expensive.

Nadia,

This reminds me of the conversation I had with a man who said plan to stay at Gettysburg Battlefield about 2 or 3 hours. We stayed 3 days.

To each his own, right? ;)

We spent about three hours, ate lunch, then went to the Mayflower reproduction. Plymouth Rock was inaccessible when we visited. The main time drainer for us was that we were staying with friends who lived outside Boston on the north side, so it took longer to get there than we realized. Also, we ended up going through the Big Dig when we didn't really want to!

I went there many, many years ago for field trips. The advantages of growing up near such a historical area. I remember doing the entire area in 1 school day and we all loved it because I think we were studying that era. I remember one person baking bread and we all thought he was going share....he cut a slice for himself and that was it. :glare: Hope you have great weather.

Thank you everyone. 3 hours is definitely do-able and I know C will be interested because we are learning about the Pilgrims and Wampanoag at the moment and he loves it when he knows about something then sees it. When he found out we were going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art he was all excited because there is a portrait of Juan de Pareja there :)

As for the Museum of Science...... I've got my hands over my ears and singing lalallalalalalala no time no time. LOL. I so wish we had longer!

I went when my dc were 7 yrs old (second visit for me). We spent most of the day there. In the morning we saw the movie and went through the Wampanoag & settlers' villages. After lunch, we went through the same areas again, did the craft areas, barn, and the gift shops.

Did someone say 'to each his own"? When my dc revisit a place, they take ownership of it. They sat on the beds and other furniture, learned about matchlock vs flintlock, about what food the Pilgrims had, talked with 'relatives' of Sarah Morton, and so on. My dc tend to pay more attention on the second visit -- and they have been telling me they want to go to Plimouth Plantation again.

And we all just loved the rest of Plymouth.

We have a membership, so we've been several times. We love that place. We listen to the mini -lectures by interpreters, ask questions, the children have participated in the games, and we love the Wampanoag settlement, esp. The interpreters there are not in character; they use their own names, are Native Americans, and will speak to you from that perspective, while answering questions about their history with the English. (Not all are Wampanoag ftr). We've seen the films several times as well. I would say 3 -5 hours if you'll only go once. Chatting with the interpreters is so interesting.

It's a gorgeous area and there are gardens & animals etc. If you have little kids, it's a great place to let them move about, as it's mostly all outside. So, do plan to visit on a nice day.

Here's a slide show of one of our family trips to PP & the ship replica

http://www.slide.com/r/UAbvn9MO0T_XcFCxIqvVmyJrCsjUX9iS

Edited by LibraryLover