Menu

Just a tiny rant...so frustrated with an ebook...

Okay so I've looked at a particular writing program that's been recently discussed on the k-8 and high school board...Now it just so happens that you can purchase this program as an e book. Great ebook! I love ebooks. No shipping and shipping costs. Satisfies that urge to have it my hands...

I have had nothing but problems with this since I bought it. Look, I understand small mom and pop homeschoolers protecting their stuff (I've bought several e books from parents/publishers from this board and never had a problem) but the security and restrictions on this book are ridiculous. A print once policy....? Which of course I read and made a mental note of, but by the time I finally got through all of the file security I was so flustered I completely forgot about it and only printed the cover on my pretty thick paper so now I can print out the rest of my book. I. am. so. mad. right. now.

:cursing::banghead:

I'm sorry you're frustrated. I don't like ebooks for the same reasons. I'd much prefer to pay a bit more to hold a book in my hands (ok not the paying more part ;)) I find ebooks highly frustrating and I waste so much time trying to navigate them to print off what I need. Plus, you miss out on the thrill of box day!! :D

Thanks Jane. I buy ebooks all the time and I have never encountered anything like this before. It's just not called for.

I sent an email to the publisher and hopefully they will fix it so I can finish printing the whole thing. I'm sad, it looks like a great program and I wanted to start using it for the summer.:glare:

Wow, that sounds like a real nuisance. I hope you're able to get the problem resolved.

I much prefer buying "real" books instead of e-books, even when the price is considerably higher. For some reason, when I print the book myself, it doesn't have the same value to me as a nice, shiny new book (with that new book smell!)

I know. I'm an old-fashioned idiot. :glare:

Cat

So this "print once" policy means once you start printing, that's your only chance? (if I understand right, from your cover problem) Sounds like a terrible idea to me - what happens if someone's printer goes awry mid-print? Or they accidentally run out of paper? Or ink? Or whatever reason they have to stop mid-printing. Maybe it just prints out all screwy, etc.

I personally would never purchase an item that I could only print once. I use ebooks occasionally and am constantly reprinting pages that got messed up or lost. Personally I prefer the print copy only because ebooks are seldom priced competitively when I consider resale.

And so if I have multiple children I have to save that paper copy from child number 1 for three years until child number 2 is ready for it. Ummm, I don't think so...that's why I have a recycle box. Or what if both children want to do the work the same year....now they have to share a text. Yeah, that's not gonna work.

If publishers are concerned about ebooks being passed around or whatever, they need to look into security for that, but telling me how often I can use their product is unacceptable. And I'm gonna take a wild guess here that the ebook version is about the same price as the print version. Ummm, no thanks. At least with a print version I can resell it, or keep it on a shelf for future use.

Can you either post what company this is.....or at least PM me. I'm not one to read fine print and want to be sure to note what the company is so as not to even consider their products.

I would also be interested to know the company name. If their products are ones I might have considered, I'd like to email and let them know that I won't purchase an ebook I can only print once. There are other options they can consider for PDF protection.

Around here, PDFs usually don't get printed out all at once. And for me, the main advantage of an ebook is the ability to replace a a page if it gets lost or damaged.

I would also be interested to know the company name. If their products are ones I might have considered

Around here, PDFs usually don't get printed out all at once. And for me, the main advantage of an ebook is the ability to replace a a page if it gets lost or damaged.

:iagree:

Update...

They fixed it so I could re-print it and they were really nice about it. I'm not sure I understand the print once policy, because I agree that one of the benefits of e-books is the ability to reprint as needed. Maybe I'll send them an email and let them know how I, and appearently others, feel.