Menu

New EPGY K-7 Math program, open to homeschool groups

nmoira

EPGY has a new Open Enrollment Program to serve school districts which aren't part of their schools program. I emailed to see if this was open to homeschoolers, and this is the response I received:

It is open to Home School groups. Just use the county name and state as the district name on the Interest Form. Once the form is complete email it to me and I will add your group.
You need 20 interested families, but I don't know if you can continue if some don't sign up. The cost is $135 per child per academic year.

I wish they'd done this a couple years ago when we could have used it. :glare: Still, it's nice to see.

Edited by nmoira
clarity

Is that $135 per child, per family, or per group?

Per child... but that's a huge savings over their regular rate.

Does that mean you'd need 20 homeschooling families from the same school district/county? I wish we could do it.

Sorry. I didn't read the form before posting. I guess the answer would be yes. I don't know 20 homeschooling families in my area, let alone 20 homeschooling families who want to use EPGY. Oh, how I wish I did. :sad:

Edited by Blessedfamily

EPGY has a new Open Enrollment Program to serve school districts which aren't part of their schools program. I emailed to see if this was open to homeschoolers, and this is the response I received:

You need 20 interested families, but I don't know if you can continue if some don't sign up. The cost is $135 per child per academic year.

I wish they'd done this a couple years ago when we could have used it. :glare: Still, it's nice to see.

If you are asking about forming a group, I would be interested for my daughter.

If you are asking about forming a group, I would be interested for my daughter.

I'm not... it would no longer be useful for us. However, I thought that others might be interested. It's a good price.

Someone from here posted about the Open Enrollment on another board and I ran with it. We are looking into forming a group on that board and would be open to more members. I have contacted EPGY about how to request a group and received their response. We are looking for a parent to be an SSA as I am not very computer literate and homeschool my five children. Would any of this be helpful to someone here?

Someone from here posted about the Open Enrollment on another board and I ran with it. We are looking into forming a group on that board and would be open to more members. I have contacted EPGY about how to request a group and received their response.
Am I correct in understanding that EPGY gave an explicit go ahead for an online homeschool group? If so, that's very cool. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with EPGY again today and I have permission to add anyone from my online group at the Davidson board to my group. It will become a listing under my homeschool county but invitations will be offered to those who express interest on the application form we are filling out. This is provided I have the necessary people willing to be SSA's for the group for computer assistance. I am told this can be shared and is about an hour a month in obligation. If you are interested and AREN'T part of the group on the other board I will have find out if there is a way for me to get messages on this board because I am requesting each person submit the required information by PM only. I will be offline this weekend but wanted to let everyone know that I spoke specifically with EPGY by phone and yes, they realize that this is a virtual community for the most part.

Is there a place to see a trial or something? Do the kids who do this enjoy it? MY DS is good at math and used to love charging ahead in his books and playing with math. That all died a terrible death the year we used poke-me-in-the-eye boring Rod and Staff. I've been trying to revive that desire, and at times it shows promise. He loves using the computer, so he might like this, but not if it's just boring on the computer. Does it challenge them and make them think in fun ways?

Scuff, my daughter used EPGY starting the month she was about to turn 7. She did 3rd through 6th grades in that first quarter. She had a love/hate relationship with it. We were VERY laid back. She'd play with it a day or two and then not touch it for 2 weeks. She was just odd. Most kids, even gifted kids, probably should do at least three 20 min time periods per week and I think they said that a grade level is usually done in 3-6 months. I'm not positive.

Anyway, it is NOT a game format though the sets kinda look game-ish since they are grouping cartooned animals and other pictures. Also, the fact practice is done as racing (cars or swimming was what it was a decade ago). A LOT of kids and parents complained about 4th grade long division (which is pretty common for all schooling I think). They did have online classes with a white board and such back then. My daughter enjoyed that. A few times, it would just be her and this one really bright little boy and they'd do math *I* don't even understand.

Anyway, I think it's worth considering. We did take a break after the second quarter due to lack of use. We just weren't structured homeschoolers when she was so young. Also, we were concerned because they said Algebra would be an hour per day and we just didn't want to push her. What she did was fine with us at that time. So she did Dolciani Algebra with me and that worked for us. I do kinda wish we had gone back when she was ready to be more "schoolish" though. We dragged things out a bit, used a couple other programs, and it would have been easier to use a program that they already had set up for acceleration rather than us fumbling through things on our own.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Yes. If you already have scored from certain tests, you can use those, or they have a the kids can take.

Is there an email addresss or website to contact you later? I wanted to use this last year, but the cost was not doable. This price is much better, but we've had a few finantial setbacks and probably won't be able to come up with that in a month (and I already bought math this year) I'd love to sign up later or next year, though.

Edited by Scuff

I am compiling the list of interested parties to set up the group. If you could PM the parents name, zip code, email, and the number of students intersted I will add you to the list. Please be sure not to duplicate if you have sent me your information on the Davidson site.

As far as interest goes.

-You do not need to "qualify" for this program. You will for the individual program.

-I do not believe there is a set date by which you need to sign up.

-You would need to verify, but I haven't heard anything about financial aid being available for this program because of the already significantly discounted price.

If this is something you would be interested in doing the cost is the $135 a child per year. The year runs June thru May. This group will not be an open school district. Invitations to join will be sent from EPGY to the emails on the interest form. You will then join from there. This will help control numbers for those kindly willing to volunteer time for tech support.

I am in the process of going through those responses I have already received and will post a list of the screen names of those I receive in a master list. Thank you to all who choose to participate!

For more information, to view FAQ, and to view the submission paperwork see: http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/

Edited by melmichigan

I will start a master list here for those I have received information from.

Myself

Osmosis Mom

Mama22Gs-DF

Another-2 families-DF

Cricket2-DF

chris1234-DF

Elisa-DF

questions-2 families-DF

Crisc-DF

Edwin-DF

Wei-l-DF

sittin pretty-DF

fractalgal

Blessedfamily

4SLee-DF

renie1-DF

Pi314-DF

happydays

papillon

shaangi-DF

I have received interested responses from more but am waiting for information from them. Your name will be added here once it is received. Thank you!

DF-information received on Davidson forum

Edited by melmichigan
update

With the traditional EPGY program for individuals, students must first apply. With the Open Enrollment Program, no application is necessary. The reverse is also true in that while anyone, anywhere can apply to the individual program, the Open Enrollment Program is open only to students in participating districts or homeschool programs. We are forming a participating homeschool program.

This group will not be an open school district. Invitations to join will be sent from EPGY to the emails on the interest form. You will then join from there. This will help control numbers for those kindly willing to volunteer time for tech support.

Can you explain this part to me? (Sorry) Does this mean we join through the group by just providing the email, name, but zip, and then we deal directly with Davidson from then on? I'm trying to understand the "open school district" which we'll join as but won't actually be. (If that makes sense)

Also, are sure it's not too late for this year since the year started in June?

You're being very helpful, and thank you for your hard work. I appreciate it.

I just spoke with Stanford EPGY the end of last week. I am starting a homeschool group under my homeschool, I am registered in my state and homeschool with a non-public school determination from the state. You would be joining the open enrollment program under my homeschool "district".

This means that you will have access from EPGY to all their online class materials. You will receive tech support from those in the group who have volunteered to learn the necessary troubleshooting from EPGY. They will become the SSA's for the group. You, as the parent then take on the role as teacher. You are NOT purchasing an individual class from EPGY, to do that (and you may on your own) you must first apply, your child must then meet their requirements and be accepted before you can enroll. Then you would deal with EPGY. Those classes start at $495 a quarter I believe it is. In this program you are purchasing access to the materials only, for $135, for the year. The SSA's will contact EPGY on your behalf with any access problems if they are unable to resolve them.

The program is open throughout their "year" but obviously the sooner you sign up the more you get for your money. That is why I have been pursuing this since I found out of it's existance and the interest. I have to have 20 families express interest in order to submit to EPGY for group status. For more information please visit the link http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/'>http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/'>http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/'>http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/ you can toggle away from that page in the EPGY site to view more information. For more information about the individual program (seperate from this offering) or to view samples of the materials visit the link at http://epgy.stanford.edu/

Also, just to be sure it's clear, once you receive your email from Stanford EPGY you will create a login and pay on their website. They will then generate your account. I will not be accepting any money. In that email will be the information for contact with the SSA's for help you may need with the program.

Edited by melmichigan

Does that mean its open to non US residents as well (under the hs district thing.) ?? (Australia) If so can I be counted as one please.

I know I can do it through their normal pay per quarter class (way to expensive in AUD).

Fi

You do not need to "qualify" for this program. You will for the individual program.

Is this the same math program as the individual program?

-

This will help control numbers for those kindly willing to volunteer time for tech support.

How much time does each parent need to volunteer?

This means that you will have access from EPGY to all their online class materials.

You are NOT purchasing an individual class from EPGY, to do that (and you may on your own) you must first apply, your child must then meet their requirements and be accepted before you can enroll. Then you would deal with EPGY. Those classes start at $495 a quarter I believe it is. In this program you are purchasing access to the materials only, for $135, for the year.

I'm a little confused. What comprises their online class materials? How is it different from their regular classes?

Sorry, I'm a bit sleep deprived today. ;)