Menu

A question about milk

There is a world of difference between what is sold as "milk" in the stores, and the raw stuff produced from grass grazing cows on organic farms. Store Milk is a processed food, and the processing changes it chemically in such a way as to make it "dead" and not a healthy food.

Raw milk is food of the gods. It is full of living enzymes which actually help the milk digest. Dead milk (pasteurized and homogonised) is difficult to digest, hence all the allergies that people blame on milk. But while dead milk gives me gas, raw milk doesn't, and it digests very easily. Many people claim that when they switched to raw milk, their allergies and digestive issues with milk disappeared.

All milks are not the same. Google "raw milk". Of course, being a wonderful, healthy food, it is actually illegal in most places. I buy it direct from a farmer who sells it as "bath milk" to get around the legality issue.

:iagree:

I noticed when the new food pyramid (or whatever shape it is now) that there was no choice for pregnant and nursing women, who are supposed to take in more calories and have different vitamin needs.

I often cook rice NOT plain boiled with water. It can be heavily buttered (!), for example, and cooked with veges and meat, or perhaps meat broth. So the idea that rice = no calories, without asking me annoyed me. Because the assumption is that I cook the way she did. But I think I have decided not to discuss my children's diets with their doctors/nurses; I find it to be a waste of time. Some of them know less than I do -- for example telling me that if I puree soup, it no longer has fiber. (I guess that nurse is a closet boa constrictor -- she doesn't chew her food.)

Hmmm, after about 6 weeks on ETL, I didn't want to ever see another salad again. :willy_nilly:

After a few months of gestational diabetes I never wanted to see another bean or another salad either, but after a few months and numerous custard tarts, I got over it :)

Rosie

Actually, Darling, I have an answer for you! I read one study where they fed a group of mice on cornflakes, and another on the box, just for a laugh. The box fed mice lived longer, which strongly suggests there are more vitamins in a cardboard box than in the cornflakes!

!!

Rosie

I heard of a study like this, only it was Cheerios, not cornflakes.

AAAAAARRRRRGGGHH!!

Is there NOTHING that I enjoy eating that is good for me??!? I'm feeling amazingly down about this thread now. Dismay and despair.

:iagree:I enjoy my 3-4, 8 oz glasses of milk per day :svengo:

Lisa wife to Guy

Mother to dd 18 and ds 6

There is a world of difference between what is sold as "milk" in the stores, and the raw stuff produced from grass grazing cows on organic farms. Store Milk is a processed food, and the processing changes it chemically in such a way as to make it "dead" and not a healthy food.

Raw milk is food of the gods. It is full of living enzymes which actually help the milk digest. Dead milk (pasteurized and homogonised) is difficult to digest, hence all the allergies that people blame on milk. But while dead milk gives me gas, raw milk doesn't, and it digests very easily. Many people claim that when they switched to raw milk, their allergies and digestive issues with milk disappeared.

All milks are not the same. Google "raw milk". Of course, being a wonderful, healthy food, it is actually illegal in most places. I buy it direct from a farmer who sells it as "bath milk" to get around the legality issue.

Thank you Peela! I was begining to lose faith in people on this board!

http://www.realmilk.com

Drinking our own raw grass-fed organic milk keeps our family healthy.

Where do you get your calcium from now??

I am dairy free (have been for 10 years) and wheat free. BTW, I did try RAW goats milk from goats we fed alfalfa exclusively and still had allergy issues - so raw was not a cure all for me. And glad not to be milking them every day!

I have osteoperosis so I am very careful to get calcium. I eat a lot of kale and collard greens DAILY which I put into shakes that I make in a vitamix. If you really want to eat healthy, a vitamix is the way to go. The shakes are full of fruit and sweetened with agave nectar but packed with greens. My kids love them too! The vitamix blends it all up very fine. Honestly, I have no financial ties to this machine - except the money I spent to buy it!

I am also a vit d supplementer as we in N America do not get enough sunshine in a day in non summer months (nor in summer months if you sunscreen!) D is such a KEY nutrient for preventing many, many maladies.

Not Mr Reg, but we get ours mostly from green, leafy veggies. The more you eat, the more you learn to like them! Did you know it is possible to crave salad?

!!

Rosie- who was shocked to experience it herself :)

I not only crave salad, I get cranky if I go more than one day without a nice hefty plateful of the stuff (and I prefer to have it twice daily). As a result, my kids think everyone has salad with dinner every night, and they will remind me that I forgot something if I try to serve dinner without it.

I not only crave salad, I get cranky if I go more than one day without a nice hefty plateful of the stuff (and I prefer to have it twice daily). As a result, my kids think everyone has salad with dinner every night, and they will remind me that I forgot something if I try to serve dinner without it.

hehehehe That's cute! hehe I love salads as well. :)

Yep, we feel "naughty" if we don't have salad either. Even if we're eating a veggie stir-fry or something! We've given up iceberg lettuce in favour of those dark, frilly lettuces, and we actually like them now! They used to taste like nails to me. Bang with a hammer nails, not fingernails. :lol: I'm growing sunflower shoots on my kitchen bench, and saving the tops of my carrots to stick in there too. I used to have a friend with a real thing for different types of green leafies, and though she was a bit odd. Now I'm doing the same!!

Salad tastes better than milk, especially with the yummy apple balsamic vinegar we found at the local wholefood shop. Oooh yeah!

:)

Rosie

Maybe I should have my 2 year old's iron checked. He loves milk and hates to eat, so it seems. Although he doesn't seem to exhibit any of the symptoms of anemia.

Something related to this thread that has not been specifically mentioned....

Often an allergy or sensitivity to dairy in children manifests in:

craving dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese)

reduced appetite for real, nourishing food

red cheeks

constipation

lack of ability to sleep for extended periods

low register on growth charts

The above list are common to infants, toddlers and even older children but it's rare that a medical professional will read "dairy allergy" into them.

ETA: It also can be the cause of rage, meltdowns and over the top behavior (as can other undiagnosed food allergies)

Something related to this thread that has not been specifically mentioned....

Often an allergy or sensitivity to dairy in children manifests in:

craving dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese)

reduced appetite for real, nourishing food

red cheeks

constipation

lack of ability to sleep for extended periods

low register on growth charts

The above list are common to infants, toddlers and even older children but it's rare that a medical professional will read "dairy allergy" into them.

ETA: It also can be the cause of rage, meltdowns and over the top behavior (as can other undiagnosed food allergies)

Oh wow!! :eek: Thanks for sharing that.