Menu

VideoText-Algebra and Up-Likes/Dislikes

Hi There,

I watched some of VideoText yesterday and really liked it. I'm wondering what families end up doing when they get home with it. Do you just love it? Keep it on the shelf?

And, if you feel like you understand math well enough to give it a thumbs up or down, that'd be great!

Thanks!

Carrie

My son used the full Algebra curriculum. He was able to work independently and only a handful of times in the two years needed me to watch the lesson and help explain some portion. Fortunately, that stopped entirely... by the end of it, I'd stopped even trying to understand!

He did the first three modules of Geometry, and that was also very good. It was very strong on logic and proofs.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should keep them around as a reference or just sell it all, and hope that whatever we use for Precalc is as easy to understand!

HTH

I guess because we are linear....concrete....step by step thinkers. We purchased Modules A,B, & C. Got stuck somewhere at the end of B and ended up ditching it and going with Lial's.

I think it's a good program, but the teaching style just didn't click with us. I'm saving it to maybe use as a suppliment with my other littlens, but I'm definitely keeping Lial's (and Jann in Tx) as our primary resource for Algebra I.

The biggest thing I didn't like about it is it is only one pass at algebra. I feel very strongly that most kids need two passes at algebra. The traditional Algebra 1 is like algebra "lite" teaching the concepts with easier problems. Then you break away for a year to do geometry, then come back for a harder algebra (Algebra 2) that gets you ready for precalculus and beyond. We did Video Text with my son, he didn't even finish the third pack.....then went to the curriculum fair, and found out we needed Algebra 1 to do his next science, and we had only done half.... had to beef him up with borrowed Chalkdust Algebra 1 over the summer.

I think the only way I would consider Video Text is with an older or math bright student that can get through it all in close to one school year AND retain it. Even then, I didn't appreciate the uneven timing of tests, and the length of them (70 questions). And the lack of a review (didn't like the quizzes every day).

I thought the teaching was excellent. My eldest dd did both years of the Algebra program, and I watched every single lecture with her. So - main plus is: good teaching/explanations.

But I too disliked the daily or every-other-day quizzes . . . with no chapter tests, just massive semester-long tests. I think the traditional method of testing every 6-12 lessons or so works better. JMO. I really didn't think there was any review built into the program. I know VT will tell you that there *is* review built in, because all concepts build upon each other . . . but I thought that was nonsense. Trust me, there is not enough review in this program. Again, JMO.

Overall, it is working well. I agree with other posters who say there is not enough review. I actually go back every now and then and review on my own, just picking a couple of problems from previous chapters to do. I also don't like the massive unit tests. My ds struggled with them (60 problems that cover a large unit!) and after the last one we did, I decided to break up the tests over two days. He knew the material but after an hour of math testing, he just crashed and burned. It was too much for him in one sitting. I still recommend Videotext. It really does a good job at teaching the concepts regardless of the flaws. My only other experience is with Teaching Textbooks, which I didn't feel was hard enough. Anyway, we spent a fortune on the entire program,so despite the problems with the program here and there and to keep myself from spending more money and time searching for a perfect curriculum, we are sticking with it. The few problems we have had are not bad enough to make us drop it.

So if there isn't enough review in VT, and TT is too easy/basic, what should we use? We are really struggling here. I have TT pre algebra for this yr. but after that I'm not sure what to do. She is definitely a struggling math student. She likes the video componet as well as the independence but I'm not seeing the retention with TT that I'd like. Any suggestions?

I"m still thinking VideoText. For the test, you could use the dvd's counter to take part of the test at a time. I like the way VT presents the material, and I'll maybe get one other algebra course that would follow it. I like what I've heard about Lial's, Jacob's and a couple of others. I'm fine with needing to do it through the summer. I think math should be an ongoing class with only a small amount of breaks. I think I'll have her do Video Text, and have my husband work through a few similar problems with her each night...Just to make sure she's getting it. The guy selling it suggested that I review until somewhere in December and then start the first Algebra book in January. I'll try it and see how she's understanding it..and go from there:-)

Carrie:-)

So if there isn't enough review in VT, and TT is too easy/basic, what should we use? We are really struggling here. I have TT pre algebra for this yr. but after that I'm not sure what to do. She is definitely a struggling math student. She likes the video componet as well as the independence but I'm not seeing the retention with TT that I'd like. Any suggestions?

What grade is she in? She needs to master prealgebra before tackling algebra, even if you need to do it again!

Well, since you asked, and since we have done both TT and VT, I would go with TT. Especially if you daughter is a struggling math student.

I know TT has been beaten to death here, and I agree that it is not *the* most rigorous math program out there. But, it is a very do-able program that actually explains things well, includes good story problems (and proofs in geometry), and is extremely manageable for the typical homeschool family.

If your daughter is struggling, it's important that you find something workable. You can worry about additional rigor later. Now, what grade is your daughter? I think starting TT a year or two early is a very nice solution for many homeschoolers.

Good luck!

About the perceived lack of review; there is no component of the course that's boxed off with an announcement that what you're doing is review. However, once you get into the second module it's easier to see how the author can legitimately say that the review is built in. By the third module it's even easier to see the pattern. And, I don't think this issue really has anything to do with any particular curriculum; that's just the nature of algebra--at least according to my feeble understanding. BTW, I watched all the lessons, some more than once and worked at least the practice problems for most lessons.

The first module teaches a basic framework for solving problems, and then subsequent lessons build on that. I'm not explaining this well, but as you advance to more involved concepts you're still using the simpler concepts taught in earlier lessons as part of the process. The important thing, IME, is to be sure that a student has mastered each lesson before moving on. That way, while you still have a chance to re-inforce earlier lessons the bulk of the student's effort can be focused on the current lesson.

That said, for about the first module and a half I used the online supplemental questions and the "Form B" quizzes for extra review and practice. Also, we did all the problems on most lessons--not just evens or odds. Looking back, I wish I'd made better use of the detailed solutions to the quizzes for analyzing my son's work in the first module. It's possible to use the solutions to help identify whether you're seeing random careless errors or perhaps a pattern that indicates shaky understanding of a particular lesson. Trust me, it's far easier to backtrack a couple of lessons at a time than waiting till the end of a unit to find out that something didn't quite gel the first time through.

We did not use the earliest version of VT, but the one we used had quizzes every few days and unit tests which were comparable to chapter tests as well as the longer, more comprehensive tests. Maybe the first version used a different test bank.

FWIW, we started VT because my son was struggling with math. Fast forward a few years; he just finished an algebra course (NOT a remedial level) at the local CC and the instructor asked what he'd used for high school math partly because of his performance on the required classroom presentations of how to solve different types of problems. I'm a huge VT fan, but no curriculum is a good fit for everyone, so YMMV!

Well, since you asked, and since we have done both TT and VT, I would go with TT. Especially if you daughter is a struggling math student.

I know TT has been beaten to death here, and I agree that it is not *the* most rigorous math program out there. But, it is a very do-able program that actually explains things well, includes good story problems (and proofs in geometry), and is extremely manageable for the typical homeschool family.

If your daughter is struggling, it's important that you find something workable. You can worry about additional rigor later. Now, what grade is your daughter? I think starting TT a year or two early is a very nice solution for many homeschoolers.

Good luck!

She will be an 8th grader this fall. She just received her Stanford test scores and scored "below grade level" on the math portion. The up side... she scored "post high school" on everything else.:) I have TT prealgebra for next yr. I'm just thinking ahead to high school. We do like TT, but you're right, it is beaten to death here.

She will be an 8th grader this fall. She just received her Stanford test scores and scored "below grade level" on the math portion. The up side... she scored "post high school" on everything else.:) I have TT prealgebra for next yr. I'm just thinking ahead to high school. We do like TT, but you're right, it is beaten to death here.

If you like TT, I think you just answered your own question. ;)

Sounds like your daughter is doing quite well and is just not super math-inclined. I honestly think that TT would probably suit her just fine. You could always add in some ALEXS for summer supplementation/review if you wanted.

Pretty close to everyone I know that has non math/science kids is using Teaching Textbooks. Lots of stories of kids that didn't like math that do now because of TT. I love their explanations, that it is affordable, and the support. Its the spiral thing that did it in, but not everyone minds that.

If you like TT, I think you just answered your own question. ;)

Sounds like your daughter is doing quite well and is just not super math-inclined. I honestly think that TT would probably suit her just fine. You could always add in some ALEXS for summer supplementation/review if you wanted.

Thank you!! I don't have any experience with ALEXS. What do you know about it? It sounds like it might be something she might need. I appreciate your honesty about TT.

Thank you!! I don't have any experience with ALEXS. What do you know about it? It sounds like it might be something she might need. I appreciate your honesty about TT.

Here is the website:

http://www.aleks.com/

Sorry for the misspelling; it is called ALEKS. It is a computer-based math program with a sophisticated assessment ability. In other words, it is brilliant at figuring out what your child does and doesn't know. My eldest daughter used it a bit this spring.

I believe many homeschoolers use it as a supplement or as summer review. I'm planning to use it with DD#2 in preparation for her SAT math section next year. :)

As for TT, well, I think that sometimes "perfect" can be the enemy of "good". I do believe TT is a good math program, especially for struggling students - and actually a pretty solid program for most students in general, under the right circumstances (such as perhaps using it at an accelerated pace as appropriate).

Best of luck figuring out what is right for your daughter!

my 9th grader is a non-mathy kid, and is doing pretty well w/ VT. It took him till about halfway thru Module A before things started "clicking" --not sure if it was VT or just his brain was finally ready, lol. But he said he wanted to continue w/ Module B so we're finishing that up now. I did/do have him watch the videos once a month just to review the previous concepts. He's getting faster at working thru the lessons w/o as many errors.

we tried TT for pre Alg in 8th and he hated it.

I'm not saying I don't recommend VT, I just think it's a good idea to go back and review a little on your own. One thing I like about VT is that it doesn't have someone working out the answers for you. The student has to look at the solution in the answer key if he got the answer wrong and follow the steps to figure out on his own where he went wrong. This is a valuable skill that I learned in "trial by fire" technique in college chemistry. I would go to the library and get the teacher's answer key, photocopy the assigned pages, and then I would have it at home when I did the work. If I got something wrong, I had to go through the equation and try to figure out what happened. The result was that I perfected those equations to the point of getting 100's on the tests. Of course, I spent hours each night doing it but I really learned. TT is a great program, but I think the solutions disc makes it a little too easy to get the answer.