Menu

Please tell me this is end of the year burnout.

Hello all~A little background. I am just finishing up my 2nd year homeschooling my dd. She will be a 3rd grader next year. I really have been overboard with trying to provide her with living and interesting materials for her classical education, really giving it my all. The thing is, for the last 4-6 weeks, I just have not felt any gusto at all for homeschooling, and it scares me for next year.

We went on a 3 week trip in April into May and I don't know if that is what shook up the routine, or the fact that I drive my 5 year old to am amazing Montessori preschool 10 miles away everyday and back (which really disrupts the flow of the day).

I am in love with the classical model, and believe in homeschooling in my heart, but I have been having a few week moments (mainly when I hear about friends kids are doing in their "great" schools). My support system of homeschool families is not that great either. Please tell me this is a normal part of the homeschool journey, and I will be OK in the fall.

Lisa

:confused:

Sounds like end of the year burn-out to me. Everyone gets it - even teachers in "brick and mortar" schools. Take some time off. You'll get excited again when you see the new books!

Also there is a well known saying on this board, "This is a marathon, not a sprint". Once the novelty of homeschooling wears off, you won't always be excited about it. That's true for any job, and marriage too. You've heard of the "honeymoon wearing off!";) That doesn't mean that it becomes a total drudgery though. So take time off when you need to, rejuvenate and do something totally different for a while. But don't give up on homeschooling - unless your reasons for homeschooling in the first place have changed.

Sounds like end of the year burn-out to me. Everyone gets it - even teachers in "brick and mortar" schools. Take some time off. You'll get excited again when you see the new books!

Also there is a well known saying on this board, "This is a marathon, not a sprint". Once the novelty of homeschooling wears off, you won't always be excited about it. That's true for any job, and marriage too. You've heard of the "honeymoon wearing off!";) That doesn't mean that it becomes a total drudgery though. So take time off when you need to, rejuvenate and do something totally different for a while. But don't give up on homeschooling - unless your reasons for homeschooling in the first place have changed.

Jean, perfectly spoken.

You are not alone. I am SO V E R Y burnout right now. I need a break terribly, but won't get one until August. Instead of dropping school , b/c we simply can't (we used up our vaca days throughout the year), we have trimmed back out schedule to the basics and dropped all electives 'til next year (Sept.)

I refer back to Jean's post...just right!

Maybe it is the combination of DH gone the past year, kids 24/7, just having moved, and the heat/humidity at our new locale, but I can barely get through the 3 R's, forget our readalouds and projects. I send them off with art supplies and a book on tape and retreat to the boards.

I really want to finish up a few basics before we restart in August (the move was a disruption), but I find I am so-o-o looking forward to the first week in July when both are off in an all-day camp! Maybe as I look at next year's material I will get inspired. (Although so much inspiration comes from the ladies here!)

Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't compare your home school to other schools unless you compare every detail! Burn out is often a sign to take a break. I think it is hard to get back into a routine after being away and spring coming. You'll be ready after a break. We've all been there in one way to another. :)

Shut it down for the year. Return the family room or dining room to normal!

Register and attend a convention (overnight if you can afford it) with DH and go listen to the speakers that fit your needs, interests, etc. Try to have a nice quiet dinner with DH also.

If you can't do overnight b/c of budget, ATLEAST attend during the day WITHOUT YOUR KIDS (and best with hubby) and browse vendors, ask questions, listen to other moms & their conversations, and even ask Moms qestions!

I don't need conventions much for curriculum (now that I have my system in order).... but I need it for motivation. They are usually $15-50 in our area (not including food/hotel, of course).... but worth EVERY.RED.CENT!!!!!

Stop comparisons too. Measure your progress based upon the needs & accomplishments of you family.

I had a hard time getting through lessons during the months of April and May, due purely to "end of year burnout". We came to a reasonable place to stop and are taking a month off. Dd and I have to do this in the early summer and also during the holidays.

After you take a break and recharge your batteries, begin again and you will feel much better.

Blessings,

Lucinda